.Jack

Reaction score
24dlpue.gif

BBC SPORT: FOOTBALL NEWS

2z69idf.png

DIEGO MARADONA RESIGNS AS ARGENTINA MANAGER

[FONT=&quot]Sports channels across the world today beckoned the headline ‘Diego Maradona steps down as the Argentina manager’. The Argentine legend, who won the World Cup in 1986 amidst controversy, late last night resigned with the Argentine Football Association, with the news being announced early this morning to the whole world.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Maradona, aged 50, stated the reasons for his departure were unnecessary, yet he did explain to the press during a press conference earlier this morning:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] ‘I feel as though I have failed the country I love so much. The country that I was born in, the country I grew up in – the country where I learned the sport which I hold so dear to me and where I was allowed to flourish and become a star. I will never forget what Argentina, the team, the fans, the FA – I will never forget the opportunities they have provided me with or the support they have given me. The results say it all, we are in a very difficult position and I want the country to stand a chance of repeating 78, 86 – winning the World Cup. So, I feel I owe it to everybody to say goodbye to this job’.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Maradona, who was teary eyed throughout the press conference, later said that he had spoken to the Argentine FA about a possible replacement, ahead of the clash with bitter rivals, Brazil, in just a few short weeks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] So, with Maradona now out of the frame as Argentina manager, what will happen to the nation left in such a precarious position for qualifying? Who will replace them? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Favourites for the job of the Argentina manager include Gabriel Batistuta and Diego Simmone, both legends for the country.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]