Laffles 4-2-3-1 (Di Matteo/Montpellier Style)

laffles

Reaction score
As a huge Chelsea fan I found myself madly flailing out of pure joy at our Champions League win. This inspired me to attempt to recreate Di Matteo's counter attacking style. I had to alter the formation slightly to create the 2 banks of 4 defensive style which reduces the opposition to alot of long shots.

I've also been an avid watcher of Montpellier's matches this season, they've been truly magnificent, and attempted to blend the speed at which they attack, using a central attacking midfielder to link play between the defence and the lone centre forward into this tactic; therefore its an incredibly versatile tactic, both attacking and counter attacking in equal measure.

I Used Southampton to test this tactic and whilst the results weren't unreal they were consistently solid and earned me a second season promotion (Lost in the playoffs year one) been very solid in the premier league and have finished 10th (1st top flight season) and 9th (second top flight season) with a comparatively weak team.

Now to the Tactic itself

Its a modified 4-2-3-1 with the Wingers set deeper (This doesn't reduce attacking threat though increases defensive organisation) It relies on quick transitions and wingers providing killer balls to the Central Striker or Attacking Midfielder. Its dangerous on the counter attack too and it's this feature that has let me grab some good results against the much stronger teams in the division.

Bare in mind this was tested with a team consistently predicted 19th in the Premier Division, these results are remarkable. I intend to use this with a stronger team or Montpellier/Chelsea to get an idea of how it would work for a strong team.

Screenshots and Download link at the bottom

Cheers guys, it's good to be back

Laffles out!

Jesus! Almost thought i was looking at the fm11 forum for a second there! Didn't expect to see you back again. Where you been?

Mwahahahah! Been a very busy boy ;) TOP SECRET MIND YOU!

Very positive start for me with Wigan. Won all my friendly matches and against Newcastle away in Premier League. Very happy with 2-2 away against Chelsea. I haven't bought any new players. Thanks laffles, you're back. :)

I've tried it on varied pitch sizes and let my ***.man deal with match prep, it seems to work best on the standard premier league size pitch (102 by 64)

If i put the AMC in MC position with the same role (if possible), will destroy the tactic?

Thtas a pitty. I have so many good players for the MC position, and i cant waist time training them for a new position...

Well, attribute wise the AMC needs Creativity, Decisions and Speed above all so if you have a CM who has these characteristics then just try him there, I'm not saying don't try to move the AMC to MC I'm just saying I didnt design the tactic to work like that