laffles

Reaction score
This years Football Manager has had me greatly frustrated. However I had my team playing I would concede a bucket-load of goals and also struggle to score (I could have masses of possession, shots, CCC's, but it wouldn't matter) So I decided to make a tactic that would stop that.

If your looking for a beautiful tactic, this isn't for you.
If your looking for loads of goals, this isn't for you.
If you want to play the game at its own game, download this.

My idea for this tactic came from wanting to be as defensively solid as possible yet still score goals. Defending seems difficult on this edition of our beloved FM (probably cause the ME hates fullbacks XD) so that was a challenge. I managed it, but scored NO goals, as in didn't score a goal for 6 games. So I tried to attack where the ME seemed to get at me, behind my fullbacks and whip in aggressive crosses. This worked well and the improved AI on the defensive winger role helped me continue to protect my awful fullbacks.

Anyway, enough waffling on, let me show you some results :)

I tested the tactic on classic mode (cause I'm lazy) with Fulham. I made no signings.

View attachment 445104

As you can see, I won the league. Admittedly I got HUGELY lucky, but the main thing is I lost only TWICE and conceded just 17 goals. Didn't score loads but hey, not too bothered ;)

Here's my results against some of the top teams:

View attachment 445102View attachment 445101View attachment 445100View attachment 445098

Yes, I know I was dominated in these games (I was in most) but the CCC's are deceptively high. They never really got through and when they did Stekelenberg has had the best season for a keeper I've ever had on FM.
The point is, I won. And that's what it's about really isn't it?

Here's an overview of the tactic

View attachment 445095

It's pretty basic, something this ME seems to like. The more individual instructions you hand out the weaker tactics seem to become.

The Trequartista is your main goal threat though he drifts wide often and crosses the ball, Dimitar Berbatov scored 16 league goals for me and assisted 9. A better player (e.g Van Persie) would dominate in this role.

The Wingers are the key players in this system. They need to be quick, hard working and be able to cross the ball, any other attributes are a bonus. Work Rate is important if you don't want your fullbacks exposed.

Your DLF is going to be another key man. He helps your midfield make up numbers against those pesky 3 man midfields, stopping you getting outnumbered. He presses opposition centre backs, often forcing them into a long ball and a break up of opposition build up. Don't be fooled into thinking this role is purely defensive. Darren Bent (Hardly an ideal player for this role) bagged 17 league goals, mainly from Berbatov crosses, making him my top scorer.

The other positions are fairly self explanatory. And the BBM is flexible, you can use almost any role here (preferably a more offensive-minded role)

Have fun with it, feel free to tweak.

As I haven't tested it on standard FM mode, I can't really answer questions regarding match prep/pitch size.

I'd go for anything on match prep and a minimum pitch size though.

DOWNLOAD BELOW :D

Cheers man! 4-4-2 seems to be one of the only usable formations this year :/