Languages spoken, team gelling and cohesion

Kwarkzak

Reaction score
Foreign players don't seem to learn new languages. I know from previous FMs that, depending on the player personality, IT couLd take a few years. Now I have (fairly) professional players, who've been at the club for 3+ years, who haven't learned a single word of Dutch. This includes Scandinavians who, at least in real life, tend to speak the language really well after only a short period. Anyone else noticed this?

Edit: I am aware of the adaptability attribute, but since I havent had ANY problems with unsettled/homesick players, I am assuming I did not, by accident, buy a dozen low adaptability foreigners!

Last edited:
I haven't noticed. What are their personalties? I read somewhere certain personalities learn languages faster.

I haven't noticed. What are their personalties? I read somewhere certain personalities learn languages faster.

I had a look at my staff. Not a single foreign member learned (basic) Dutch. This makes it 15 odd personell who, after 2+ years, do not speak a single word of the local language.

Personalities range from (fairly) loyal to professional, to honest to balanced.

That does seem strange. I wouldn't be surprised if balanced and negative personalities hadn't attempting to learn, but the fact professional personalties haven't is surprising.

Can they not speak English either?

Some can, some can't.

It gets even stranger: players at AI teams do seem to learn new languages. Daley Blind (to OM) now speaks French. Van Rhijn (to Real) now speaks Spanish.

It does not really seem to affect anything negatively. My team seems to be a multicultural wonderland!

I think it may actually be a bug. I think I saw something about it over on the SI forums

I think it may actually be a bug. I think I saw something about it over on the SI forums

Seems the most likely. I could believe some players refuse to learn the language, but 15+ in total? Unlikely!

I'll download the free version of FMRTE to see whether they've learned the languages, but it just doesn't show.

EDIT.

They haven't learned the language. This aspect of (my) game is bugged.

Last edited:
I have been trying to learn English for a long time in order to work in a team of English-speaking people. This was very difficult for me, as I was hoping for help duolingo.com. Unfortunately, this platform didn't give me enough practice. There are many articles on the Internet that are more useful, for example, you can visit this page. Try reading it.