Latest Football Manager 13 match engine update.

Kyle Sterlz

Reaction score
Anyone else noticed that the game now has far fewer chances created and it is a lot harder to grab goals. I was wondering what formations and tactics people are now having the best results with. I am currently playing with 3 cm's and 3 ST's and it is holding up pretty well. We win 1-0 or 3-1 but i want to score GOALS. Is this possible?

The ONLY tactic I use is the "4-1-2-2-1 Bilbao"-tactic (shouts: play out of defence, pass to feet, work ball into box).

It creates a lot of chances, and usually dominating possession. Strange that the thread (which you can find here: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2013-tactics-training/109823-bilbao-4-1-2-2-1-a.html) isn't more popular than it should be....

It's a 4-3-3 tactic and I have won everything there is to win, including the World Cup with Ivory Coast (3-1 over England in 2014).

I think it's more realistic than ever.
How many games in real life do you see teams creating 30 odd chances per game.
I am happy to win 1-0, all that matters is the win and keeping clean sheets.

Anyone else noticed that the game now has far fewer chances created and it is a lot harder to grab goals. I was wondering what formations and tactics people are now having the best results with. I am currently playing with 3 cm's and 3 ST's and it is holding up pretty well. We win 1-0 or 3-1 but i want to score GOALS. Is this possible?

I play with Marcelo Bielsa/ Jorge Sampaoli inspired 3-3-1-3 so I have 3 STs and a playmaker behind them. STCR and STCL and poachers, running from deep often and moving into channels. STC is a false nine type of striker who is instructed to run with ball often and through balls often. Also the advanced playmaker behind the front three has through balls often. With this system I manage to created a good number of chances, mainly because in the new match engine players pass more through balls through the channels but also lofted through balls combine much better.

So in short, new match engine seems to courage lots of running forward by strikers or midfielders maknig runs from deep together with high number of through balls.

The ONLY tactic I use is the "4-1-2-2-1 Bilbao"-tactic (shouts: play out of defence, pass to feet, work ball into box).

It creates a lot of chances, and usually dominating possession. Strange that the thread (which you can find here: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2013-tactics-training/109823-bilbao-4-1-2-2-1-a.html) isn't more popular than it should be....

It's a 4-3-3 tactic and I have won everything there is to win, including the World Cup with Ivory Coast (3-1 over England in 2014).

which training u use