SpursBoy96Jay

Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm now about to start a save with Wycombe Wanderas in League 2. I haven't had much success managing teams in this division, mainly because I can't bring in quality players to help with promotion, for a team like Wycombe who aren't gifted with very good players even for League 2.

I was wondering if any of you guys have had success managing a team in League 2 before, and some of the things you did well that helped get you success? i.e. tactics, players, etc etc..

As you can imagine, I have a measly budget, of 5K. So any frees, or loans would be handy or if you know any good players for League 2 under 5K!

I also have English, Spanish, French, German and Italian leagues loaded on a medium database, if that helps.

Thanks in advance. Hope you can help.

I've managed to get a club up from BSB-N to Premier league in 9 seasons, and I know what you're talking about when you say you can't find quality players willing to sign with you. I struggled with my club's reputation being low relative to my league for a long time.

The way I managed to get through it was to sign young players to at least 3 year contracts, and get a couple of CBs with great jumping/heading to weather the storm of crosses flying in while playing a counter tactic most of the time. Getting decent players on loan is normally a great way to save money too.

Typically, after being promoted I'd be playing young players that weren't up to scratch for the league but with good PA. If you can keep your head above water for the first half of the season then most of them should have improved a reasonable amount and hopefully that sets you up for a strong finish for the season and a good 2nd season.

Also don't forget to offer a high league bonus to your players, also including clauses in their contracts like avoid relegation and bonuses for X number of goals will make some players go gangbusters towards the end of the season.

Regarding tactics, just figure out a tactic to get your best players on the field really, but if you can run a counter with at least 1 DM that should make games tighter and hopefully you'll steal a few with goals on the break. Just be sensible with your defense, if you have slow CBs then make sure they're not pushing up too far, etc.

Try and get a good parent club, get rid of all the deadwood to start saving some sort of cash & i personally focus on youth, try and ask the board for better junior coaching etc.

I'm currently managing Rotherham and won League 2 in my first season. I found that Physical and Mental stats are far more important than Technical ones at this level. For example, my striker scored 32 goals in the league despite having finishing and first touch of 10, long shots of 9 and dribbling of 7 - however he was very physically strong which meant he was great as a target man. I made some signings which proved key to my success, mainly at DC position, here's my transfers for the season (Tyrone Loran and Rui Marques are my two highest recommendations):
View attachment 372901
I hope this helps!