Guldbrand

Reaction score
We know that all leagues and tournaments have their own reputation in FM. Therefore, it is also my theory that players will react differently based on which tournament they play in. For example, a player who usually plays in the Premier League will not be motivated up to a match in the League Cup. Here it is therefore important to ensure that players do their jobs and ensure the victory ..
- In the above situation, I know from experience that it's a good idea to doubt my team at the press conference or during team talk, to ensure a good performance.

But when it goes the other way, then I am not sure what approach I should have. If my team comes from a league with low reputation and will play in a major tournament, how do I make so that players are fully motivated ..?

In my example I am a Danish team who play in the Euroleague. The Danish league has a rep. of 2 ½ star, while Euro League has 4 stars (i think)
How do I ensure that my players are fully motivated, and neither under perform or feel pressured.What approch should i have at the pressconference and teamtalks, to make sure that my team are motivated, and makes a good performance?

In the league Im usually often having great success, and oftes use to achieve the championship. But when it comes to international tournaments, I usually get into trouble. Therefore I would also like to hear about your tactical experience, when you play in European tournaments. What do you do differrent, when you play CL or EL from when you play in the league..?

:)

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

No help...? :(

This all depends on the alot of factors such as the opposition, current team morale , winning or losing streaks, players who are on form and especially player personality , media handling style and match odds and a lot of other things. Player personality, media handling styling give you and idea on the players frame of mind. For eg. A light hearted ,jovial personality are weak minded in general so criticizing them may bring down their morale, so it maybe best to encourage them and whenever the perform good tell them. The thing about this game is that you have to think of it as a real simulation of football so use the players personality to selected watch team talk you should choose. Match odds give you a hint into what mentality you should select, scout oppostion reports give you some key information about the formation, general play style dangerous players etc. Backroom advice tell you about the statistical data on the opponent such as what formations they struggle against, what you tempo should play, how wide should you play etc.

note backroom advice depends on the how good your backroom staff is and it is advice which means it may or may not work. It is guide a on how you could approach the match based on the statistical data of the matches that the opponents play. I basically use all this to selected what to do during match time sometimes it takes me awhile before I play a match but that's how I enjoy the game.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-training/29092-woifsongs-teamtalk-guide.html

Of course all the things you mention will have some degree of influence. But I still believe that there is some "ground rules" of how to handle a major cup match such as the Europa League, when you normally plays in a league with a lower reputation.

Normally I use this to set up my tactic for a match. I wrote a guide about it at a Danish site, and many of the users find it very usefull and succesfull.

Big underdog, if your odds for victory is: 4.00<, Offensive & Fluid/Very fluid
Underdog: if your odds for victory is: 3.00-4,00, Defensive/counter & Fluid
Close match: if your odds for victory is: 2.50–3.00, Counter/standard & Balanced/fluid
Close match: if your odds for victory is: 2.20–2.50, Standard/Control & Balanced/rigid
favourite: if your odds for victory is: 1,80 - 2.20, Control & rigid
Big favourite: if your odds for victory is: 1.80>, Offensive & Very rigid
Major favourite: if your opponents odds for victory is: 5.00<, Defensive/counter & Fluid or Very fluid

But even though I have great succes in the leagues, I am struggle in the Europa League and Champions League when I play for a team in a league with a lower reputation. I've reach the finals of the Champions League with both Arsenal and Dortmund (1st. and 2nd. season) so i don't have trouble with major teams. Therefore my conclusion is, that I need another approach when I'm a team from a lower league. And I think this other approach is based on the league reputation.