Dan

I'm back!!!!!
Reaction score
I am managing Swansea and am currently 13th in the table in the first season, which in itself isn't so bad. However, I have conceded a **** of a lot of goals (44 in 20 games) and after carefully trying to sort a tactic out, I have ultimately failed. Here below is a couple of screenshots of formation and team instructions and there is even a couple of PKMs if one or two of you could bother to watch them and find out for me. I am not so bothered about losing the games, but it is just the manner in which I am being beaten. My save game is also enclosed. Help me please

4PIGYU7.png

Matches

I appreciate for any help thrown my way.

Dan :)

Hi mate - give this a go . move defensive line back , change fluid to rigid , control to defensive.

Try switching to counter attacking and balanced strategy, with less pressing. This way, you will draw teams onto you but with a more organised defence, the opposition will be forced into long shots or mitakes and you can counter with a possession based approach. Has worked wonders for me with a similar formation.

Are you conceding a lot of goals from wide areas/ crosses? I've found when I play with advanced wingers the opposition tend to exploit the little pocket of space between full back and winger (unless the winger has a high work rate and tracks back). Or are you leaving a lot of space between the lines because of pressing? Or a lot of set pieces because your team isn't the biggest?

Really the key to tightening your defence is to examine the type of goals you're conceding.

Are you conceding a lot of goals from wide areas/ crosses? I've found when I play with advanced wingers the opposition tend to exploit the little pocket of space between full back and winger (unless the winger has a high work rate and tracks back). Or are you leaving a lot of space between the lines because of pressing? Or a lot of set pieces because your team isn't the biggest?

Really the key to tightening your defence is to examine the type of goals you're conceding.

I am tending to leave the pocket of space in the wing by the looks of it, conceding nearly half of my goals from crossing. Probably either full backs not doing their job, or they are being overloaded.

hey Dan,

try and use stand off, I find this helps for smaller teams as if you press too much, more technically gifted/bigger teams can easily exploit the space in and around and behind your players if they press to far up and too much leaving acres of space (which I assume is your problem)

set your wingers to tight man marking and high closing down (yes this may tire them out quicker, so make sure you have good depth for replacements when they get tired) or even consider dropping them to MR and ML to ensure they sit a little further back or switch to support roles..

with your defenders all on defend roles I would use Balanced strategy as if you are using fluid, your defenders will try and get involved in play further up the field, which with the quality you and I have (I am QPR 2nd season) is not the greatest of all time and could lead to mistakes and giving the ball away

set Brittons closing down less than Augustien's so he sits even deeper providing more cover if the opp manage to get past Michu and Augustien a little further up, set Augustiens tackling to hard and man mark so that he pressurizes the midfielders into making rash decisions and if he does win the ball further upfield, he can as the DLP look to exploit the opposition

you could maybe even drop the CM's to DM and have Michu (sometimes run from deep) to encourage him to drop deeper and receive the ball on halfway, turn (draw a defender out of position) and play it to the attacking wingers.. this will help the defence out (especially when you are trying to hold onto a lead)

I switch often between fluid attacking and rigid/counter/defend in games after taking the lead (the latter) or going behind..

also, I would consider changing Graham's role to AF or Poacher to encourage him getting forward more as the pocket is already occupied by Michu

I hope some of these suggestions assist you :)

hey Dan,

try and use stand off, I find this helps for smaller teams as if you press too much, more technically gifted/bigger teams can easily exploit the space in and around and behind your players if they press to far up and too much leaving acres of space (which I assume is your problem)

set your wingers to tight man marking and high closing down (yes this may tire them out quicker, so make sure you have good depth for replacements when they get tired) or even consider dropping them to MR and ML to ensure they sit a little further back or switch to support roles..

with your defenders all on defend roles I would use Balanced strategy as if you are using fluid, your defenders will try and get involved in play further up the field, which with the quality you and I have (I am QPR 2nd season) is not the greatest of all time and could lead to mistakes and giving the ball away

set Brittons closing down less than Augustien's so he sits even deeper providing more cover if the opp manage to get past Michu and Augustien a little further up, set Augustiens tackling to hard and man mark so that he pressurizes the midfielders into making rash decisions and if he does win the ball further upfield, he can as the DLP look to exploit the opposition

you could maybe even drop the CM's to DM and have Michu (sometimes run from deep) to encourage him to drop deeper and receive the ball on halfway, turn (draw a defender out of position) and play it to the attacking wingers.. this will help the defence out (especially when you are trying to hold onto a lead)

I switch often between fluid attacking and rigid/counter/defend in games after taking the lead (the latter) or going behind..

also, I would consider changing Graham's role to AF or Poacher to encourage him getting forward more as the pocket is already occupied by Michu

I hope some of these suggestions assist you :)

Thanks pal, I am certainly going to try out a couple of suggestions. Not sure that Graham has the pace to play as a poacher and he seems to do okay as a Target Man. I have brought closing down on the team to default to try and keep shape a bit more and have set wingers to tightly mark to try and keep their full backs at bay.

I have also switched to counter and standard to try and keep the ball a bit more and focus on finding space once I have invited them onto me.

hey Dan,

This is what I'd say 100% if you want the best defense, however it also means sacrificing your attacking potential. If you get players behind the ball or play with a deep line, you either need a big man upfront who you can blast the ball upto, or ball carriers to get the ball upront...

Playing with a deep line and trying to control the game with short passing is crying out to make fatal mistakes. As playing with a deep line invites the opponent onto you, and into your half, it means that there is not room to play short passing. There fore if you want to play out from the back and use short passing, I'd push the line higher up :)

The opposition players seem to be getting a lot of space on the wings and seem to be getting time to put crosses in before my full backs even get close. Starting to get ****** off with it now.

The opposition players seem to be getting a lot of space on the wings and seem to be getting time to put crosses in before my full backs even get close. Starting to get ****** off with it now.

tight man mark/high closing down/show to weaker foot

what settings do you have for your FB's Dan?

cross from mixed/byline? run with ball often/run from deep often?

if any of these then it means your FB's are trying to get further upfield in order to cross the ball from the byline sometimes and can get caught out..

I set my FB's to:

cross - deep/sometimes
through balls - sometimes
no long shots
run from/with ball - sometimes (if pace/dribbling/crossing stats above 14)

Drop ur AM to behind ur CMs and make into a DM or ANCHOR

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2