Learning with Fm & Loving the game again

santa2

Reaction score
Learning with FM & Loving the game again

Background
It's been not far off a decade since I played this series of games, my teenage years often consisting of splurts of CM addiction.
Since then I've become a "man" and managed to gain quite a promising career in the industry after my playing career was cut short (no I'm not AVB, but I do believe the Cm/FM series did help grease the wheels in a similar way to him).

Bad health has temporilly paused that and also led to a decline in my "passion" and "love" for the game.

The Goals
1) Using FM to "interact" with football again and maybe re-invigorate my love/passion
2) Learning how to play the "new" version of the game with all it's features (01/02 and the early versions of 2D is where I left the series).
3) Reflecting on my experiences playing; lessons learned inside the game, how they apply to my life, real football, whatever I feel appropriate really
4) Using this thread to get in the habit of writing to an audience

(Also *Controlling playing and not becoming an "addict")

The Journal
There is no doubt this could be a thread that dies quickly! I'm not sure how it'll go or how often I'll update yet. If it takes off for me internally than I'm hoping I'll gain not just FM specific stuff but some life/career lessons out of it. My thoughts are quite deep at the moment, so it could head that way- but I'll try and keep it simple and to the point.
My hope is writing it out may not just be beneficial for me (my main aim), but be useful for others that may stumble on this thread. Any feedback, ideas, thoughts, constructive criticism is welcomed....

Next Post will deal with the club I've chosen to begin with and why....

Last edited:
Choosing A Team & Lesson 1

Choosing a Team & Lesson 1;

So while waiting for the 12.2 update I had a little play with Wolves and Russian team Krasnodar to help get used to the game.
The question was, who would I be when I started for real? As a kid I was an Arsenal fan and traditionally started with them. Regretfully I'd read a post on the best young players when I had a play with Wolves and it sapped some of my enjoyment out of the game. With Arsenal it would be easier to buy them. Also my opinion of the players there are quite particular and I'd read for example that RVP declines quite quickly and I knew that would be a bug bearer for me as my opinion of him in real life is quite different.

Better to start a few rungs lower down or a different country. I had a look on the challenge board Challenges & Scenarios and got inspired by this; http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/challenges-scenarios/94007-preston-north-end-challenge.html
In a former life I'd cross paths with Preston North End (PNE) and was familar with a few of their youth players and coaches. I'd also had a great admiration for England & PNE Legend Tommy Finney; I'm not very taking aback by celebrity, I've been fortunate to meet a lot of high profile players but I actually saw Tom once and my heart literally skipped a beat! (On a side note, interestingly some of the training methods the likes of Finney and Stanley Matthews used are now seen as the cutting edge methods of today. e.g. short sprints, plyometrics, yoga/stretching, breathing exercises, lighter football boots etc)
(N.B. If your not sure who he is; Stanley Matthews was the other big player in England at the time and in his early 40s was the first ever European Player of the year!)

The Team is Chosen!

images

Lesson 1 - There's No Room For Sentiment
"Realism" Vs Fun

Once I started the game I wanted to make a little list of staff that I could bring in. I also started to search for coaches I knew in real life. Many were on the game! Woo!
But..... lots of the ones I rated highly had rubbish stats and others I felt were actually rubbish were rated really good. This nearly annoyed so much as to stop playing there and then!

A mental commentry began "how can they get the stats so wrong? he's rubbish in real life.....oh my, he's so underated on the game" etc - We've all probably been there at some point or another. It's important not to forget just what a hard job the makers of Football Manager have in trying to balance so many variables and make an enjoyable game.

I realised there and then I had 2 choices;

1) I could use the likes of in game editors and such to change all my real life favourite coaches and hire them.
2) I accepted that this is a game and not real life. There would be things I wouldn't agree with and not get overly sentimental about some stats of people I admired.

I had made some minor editor changes before starting my game, (such as preventing Stuart Pearce becoming England coach and re-appointing John Terry as captain!), but unless there are defined parameters and reasons for using them I shy away from editing things as I'm a bit old school I guess.
I realised if I started editing them, where would I draw the line? It would become easier to start editing other things aswell. As the game develops maybe RVP starts decling & is available for cheap - it could be easy for me to then say "why not buy him" and edit his CA back up. Although in my view it could be more "realistic" to his ability, the challenge and fun of playing the game "clean" would be tainted.

I hadn't played the game for many years and just playing the game as it's given would certainly be enough for me... I just have to remember it's not real life and not get overly sentimental!

(By the way does anybody know how to resize images somehow?)

Last edited:
Lesson 2 - Standing On The Shoulders of Giants
So I decided to start the game in late February 2012 (actual game date) - the reason was it was close to the real life date. Wherever Preston were in the league was where I would have to parachute in from.... With 14 games to go, I would come in with Preston 2nd from top! 1 point off top, and 5 points above the playoff positions. So how did it go? Yes... I got promoted...I got them in to a 2nd place finish - well, thats what the fictional record books and my Football Manager CV will say, but the reality is very different... Have you ever played those matches where you seem to have a 100 shots and they get one in the 90th minute and win? Well, thats what happened to me, except my team was the one having 1 or 2 shots and winning. (It's funny, most people will always remember when it happens against them, but not as much when they benefit from it! Like a lot of fans and managers aswell - "we were robbed I's tell ya") So Preston fluked to promotion. What were the key factors in my opinion?
  1. Some desperate loan signings (no wins in my first 3 games sent me into a panic!). 2 special mentions, QPR winger Hogan Ephraim getting many assists and Aston Villa striker Andy Weimann getting 8 goals and 5 assists in 12 games.....
  2. Preston striker Keammar Daley (will give him his own post in the future)
  3. I already had a good squad, with good players for league one, good moral, and already in second place!
You could argue I was a bit like Avram Grant taking over Mourinho's Chelsea and taking them to the Champions League final. A team already full of winners, at the peak of their powers. The train had left the station and all I was doing was riding on it, riding on the work others had done before me... I was getting results due to the work of the previous manager... and to be honest enjoying it to an extent. The phrase "Standing on the shoulders of giants", really means when you learn from other people's work and build on that platform. Here though I mean something different... Sometimes society credit individuals for things where in reality it was often the work of others and/or circumstance that played a big part in helping propel them to the "achievement"...

Last edited:
Very good story, definitely following it with great interest.

Thanks for the encouragement, I've got a ton of planned posts now. Hopefully will have some time over the next week or two to get a fair few written. Also just wanted to say Tom Finney who I mentioned above was 90 yesterday!

So just to update-as you can see I have yet to write the "ton of planned posts". Why not?

The problem is I have in the past become quite compulsive about things, so am giving it a break for a little while. (although I have now only done about 2 and half seasons game time, in terms of hours it's the same amount as some have for 10-20 season games and was becoming too detrimental to other things in my life currently)
However, playing the game has indeed helped grease the wheels to my goals above! I'm reluctant to go into too much detail now as it may wet my appetite to start playing again (right at this moment!), but have some planned posts in my notebook that I'll hope to update after the break I'm having.
But in short it's got my rusting football brain cogs slowly moving again. Hopefully I can build on this momentum and take it into the "real world".

Why not man up and just get it balanced into my life? The problem is I don't want to end up the FM equivalent to below or be anything close to it (which honestly I could and have on occassion). It's an extreme example, but as a metaphor I'm sure there may be some here who at times can relate to where I'm coming from;

View attachment 240954

P.S. Ironically the same compulsive tendencies that has meant a self-enforced break here, have also been advantages in my real life football career. Irony heh? What's that famous quote?
"You live by the Sword and Die by the Sword"
I might exhange my sword for a water pistol!

Tom Finney and Stanley Matthews were legends. Didn't Stan play his last competitive game at like 60/70 years old? What a fella! He visited my country too :D

Great story so far by the way - keep it up!