Leeds United Bringing Back The Good Old Days

Chappy_10

Reaction score
Leeds United Bringing Back The Good Old Days

View attachment 1017366

This is the first time I have tried documenting one of my Football Manager saves so i would be very grateful for any feedback or criticism. My plan is to bring back the good old days to Leeds United. I chose Leeds because I have a lot of friends and family that are Leeds fans so i am more than familiar with the squad. Along with that, the club have great facilities, great fans, a squad with tremendous potential and tons of history. I am also aware of the clubs ownership situation with current chairman Massimo Cellino looking to sell the club, so that could bring exciting times to Leeds United under new ownership. Anyway let's crack on with the story and find out whether i'm going to follow in the footsteps of Don Revie or go down the path of Darko Milanic.

Club Background And Plans

Leeds United has all the foundations to be a top club once more. The club already has fantastic training facilities, youth system and stadium but unfortunately the club has suffered because of the financial situation at the club. That will hopefully change under my management and a potential new owner as current chairman Massimo Cellino says he is willing to listen to offers for the club.
I plan to use a 4-1-2-2-1 formation (as shown below). I want my team to control games in the final third but at the same time have that cover against the counter which is why i am using an anchor in the midfield. I want my wingers to be pacey so they can nip in at the back post and get on the end of crosses. Leeds currently don't have that many options in the wing department so i will be looking to bring a couple in.
On the subject of transfers, the club has a budget of £150,000 which i feel is not enough to bring in any full time players so until then, i will be concentrating on loan deals. I don't like to bring in too many new faces as i feel it upsets the harmony of a club.
I have assessed the squad and believe the key players for my first season will be Lewis Cook, Luke Murphy and Sam Byram. Now I know some of you will be saying Byram has been transferred to West Ham but I actually started this save before the transfer update so I will be keeping him as he is an excellent player. As for Cook, he is a big part of why I chose Leeds, fantastic young talent who i want to be the teams enforcer in that anchor role, I'm going to be putting a lot of responsibility on the young mans shoulders, hoping that he will thrive under it. And finally Luke Murphy is a tremendous midfielder with great passing ability and is very capable of scoring a screamer from time to time.
View attachment 182761View attachment 182760View attachment 182759
As for promising young talent at the club, I believe that Kalvin Phillips, Chris Dawson and Jack Vann all have bright futures at the club. I plan to loan out Phillips and Dawson for at least the first season but i'd like to keep Vann at the club and have him tutored by club captain Sol Bamba as they are similar players.

View attachment 182758View attachment 182757View attachment 182756
The only real notable member of staff I have at the club is Head of Youth Development Paul Hart who is a former manager of Crystal Palace, Portsmouth and QPR. Again i don't want to change my staff too much so just a couple of new members of my choice will be brought in.

26.6.15 Leeds United Appoint Chapman As Manager

It was announced today that 23 year old Sam Chapman has been hired as the new Leeds United manager. It is a huge shock that the role has been given to such a young, inexperienced manager but owner Massimo Cellino has said he believes Chapman is 'worth the risk'. Chapman arrives at the club at a time when ownership could soon change hands as Cellino is willing to listen to offers from potential buyers. The new manager has described this opportunity as 'a dream' and expects some 'tough times ahead'. Chapman will be able to make judgement over his squad during the teams pre-season tour of Scotland where Leeds will play Livingston, Airdrie, Dundee United and Forfar before heading back to England for a testimonial game at Burnley and finally a trip to Solihull Moors. Chapman has stated that everyone will get a fair and equal opportunity to prove they are worthy of their place at Leeds United, although he also said he is looking to bring some new faces into the club. As for the current players of the club, Sam Byram is still refusing to enter contract talks until the future of the club becomes clearer. Chapmans first duty was to announce that Sol Bamba would continue as club captain but there would be a new vice captain, none other than Sam Byram, could this be a little morale boost the full back was looking for? Only time will tell.

Transfer News And Pre-Season

Very happy with pre-season results and transfer business. I was given a budget of £150,000 which i decided was not enough to bring any full time signings to the club so just added it on to the wage budget and concentrated on loan deals. I brought in 3 loan deals, all for the full season. Firstly i brought in Rolando Aarons from Newcastle, a young winger who can play on either side and I feel he could become a vital part of our season. I plan on using him mainly on the left wing. Next i signed Bertrand Traore from Chelsea, again a youngster who can play on either wing or as a central striker. I plan on mainly using him on the right hand side but could be brought on as a striker to inject some pace in the final third. My third and final loan deal was for Harrison Reed, a central midfielder from Southampton. The lad has a lot of promise and i'm hoping he will thrive under the spotlight. I also managed to set up a partnership with Arsenal of all clubs, where they will offer me players to take on loan free of charge, unfortunately as of writing this all they have offered me is 2 below par goalkeepers. More positive news for the club is that Arsenal will be paying an annual fee of £112,000 to Leeds United for this partnership. It may not be much but with the financial state of the club, surely every little helps.
Pre-season results were as follows:

View attachment 1017669 View attachment 1017670 View attachment 1017671 View attachment 1017672View attachment 1017673 View attachment 1017674

Rolando Aarons could not have had a better start to his career at Leeds United scoring 7 goals in 5 games and has left fans with high expectations for the coming season. Another player that has impressed during pre season is Scottish striker Lee Erwin, contributing 4 goals and 2 assists. Manager Sam Chapman was involved in a heated argument with Burnley boss Sean Dyche before the two sides met in, would you believe it, a testimonial game for The Clarets Michael Duff. Dyche had claimed that Leeds were a 'small club' and Chapman was 'out of his depth'. This has certainly heated things up for the opening day of the season when Leeds welcome Burnley to Elland Road.
On the injury front, we appear to have avoided picking up anymore injuries during pre season and as the season is about to begin there is only Luke Murphy currently on the injury list but he is only a few weeks away from fitness.
I am not planning on bringing any more transfers into the club however if the right player becomes available then you just never know. As for outgoings I am looking to loan out Kalvin Phillips and Chris Dawson but apart from that I am very happy with my squad size. As the season opener gets closer i believe this is my strongest team:
View attachment 182703

There is nothing left to say apart from… Let the season begin!

August 2015

Media expectations at the start of the season are for the club to finish 15th. Due to the past few seasons I feel these are fair expectations although I think secretly everyone at the club is hoping for better. In the pre-season meeting with the squad I stated that the team should be aiming for a mid-table finish which all players reacted well to.

8.8.15 Leeds United 2-0 Burnley

Fantastic start for Leeds who run out 2-0 winners in a close contest between the two sides. After a goalless first half Mirco Antenucci opened the scoring from the penalty spot after Michael Keane had brought down Bertrand Traore. Leeds doubled the scoring 15 minutes later when substitute Stuart Dallas smashed home a Chris Wood nod down. A clear man of the match though was Bertrand Traore who caused the Burnley defence problems all afternoon. Encouraging for Leeds fans all round.

View attachment 1017951
10.8.15 Carlisle United 1-3 Leeds United (Capital One Cup)

The second game in 3 days for Leeds meant 9 changes were made to the side. It really could and maybe should of been all over inside the first 5 minutes of the game but youngster Lee Erwin missed from the penalty spot and Doukara missed an open goal as Carlisle stumbled into the game. The deadlock was soon broken as Stuart Dallas carried on his great start to the season with a near post header. If Leeds thought that would settle them into an easy result, they were very much mistaken as Carlisle hit straight back thanks to a strike from Patrick Brough. Dallas then put Leeds back in control just before half time thanks to a fine strike. Young midfielder Chris Dawson then secured the win with a rasping drive from the edge of the box. Man of the match was Stuart Dallas who in his first 2 games has really impressed and is heading towards a starting place. Round 2 has seen Leeds United handed a trip to Cardiff City.

View attachment 1017960

16.8.15 Reading 1-2 Leeds United

A game in which Leeds dominated possession but created very few chances. A very boring first half was brought to a close with the score at 0-0. Reading took the lead 3 minutes the 2nd half through Orlando Sa and carried on controlling the game for the next 25 minutes until Leeds manager Chapman decided something had to change and went bold in making a triple substitution. Pick of the bunch was Bertrand Traore who replaced Stuart Dallas and instantly brought the game to life. In the 82nd minute Traore went on a mazey run which ended in a curled shot into the bottom corner. 5 minutes later Traore rounded off a fine display by sneaking in at the back post to poke home a Rolando Aarons cross. Man of the match went to super sub Traore.
View attachment 182436

19.8.15 Bristol City 1-1 Leeds United

A close game in which a draw was probably a fair result. Another dull first half which produced few chances. Bristol took the lead on the hour mark through Callum Robinson's neat finish. Leeds were frustrated throughout this game and finally got their reward in the 81st minute when man of the match Alex Mowatt fired home from 15 yards. Leeds could of won the game soon after the equaliser when Doukara missed a one on one which he really should of scored.

View attachment 182439
22.8.15 Leeds United 2-0 Sheffield Wednesday

A huge derby day victory for Leeds as they were the better side on the day. Leeds created lots of clear cut chances and their only criticism could be that it was only 2-0. Leeds hit the post twice before finally opening the scoring after 26minutes when Stuart Dallas bagged his 4th of the season. It stayed 1-0 until the 69th minute after some more golden opportunities, Soulymane Doukara netted his first of the season after some fantastic wing play from Traore. Chapman was said to be delighted with his first local derby victory and picked out Tom Adeyami as his man of the match for a dominant display in the middle of the park.

View attachment 182438
25.8.15 Cardiff City 2-3 Leeds United (Capital One Cup)

This game had it all. It started perfectly for Leeds when Antenucci put them 1-0 up after just 14 minutes with a neat finish. Cardiff got back into the game on the half hour mark when blast from the past Federico Macheda netted the equaliser. Thats how it stayed until half time. Early in the second half Italian hot head Giuseppe Belluschi picked up a silly second yellow and was sent for an early bath. But that didn't deter Leeds as they retook the lead 10 minutes later when young winger Jordan Botaka smashed home after Antenucci's shot was saved. Cardiff then piled on the pressure and it paid off in the 81st minute when Macheda grabbed his second of the game. But the drama didn't end there when in the 90th minute Botaka skipped passed his marker and was brought down inside the area for a penalty. Man of the match Antenucci stepped up and cooly sent the keeper the wrong way and earned Leeds a place in the 3rd round. On the negative side of this game, loanee Rolando Aarons picked up a broken ankle and will miss 3 months of the season. In the 3rd round draw Leeds were handed a home tie with Crystal Palace.

View attachment 182437
29.8.15 Derby County 1-1 Leeds United

Leeds have ended the month with a solid display resulting in a draw against promotion favourites Derby. A terrible start for Leeds saw Sam Byram bring down Chris Martin for a penalty which the striker tucked away himself for a 1-0 lead. After that Leeds created lots of chances but it took until the 83rd minute to find an equaliser which came from substitute Luke Murphy. Both sides will feel like they could of won this one so a draw seems a fair result.

View attachment 182433
Monthly Roundup
We ended the month unbeaten with 5 wins and 2 draws. We end August sitting in 3rd, 1 point behind the leaders. Also we have already exceeded our expectations in the League Cup so anything from here is a bonus for us. I was happy with my early transfer business so decided not to add to it and did not take part in deadline day. It's a shame about Rolando Aarons' injury as he was an important player for us this month. As for monthly awards, Bertrand Traore was awarded the Young Player Of The Month Award. Quite shocked I didn't even make the top 3 for Manager Of The Month but I guess you can't please everyone. Still no progress regarding the sale of the club, perhaps the clubs great start to the season has made Cellino rethink his options. If that is the case I hope he is going to invest some money into the club.

September 2015

We start September with news of a possible takeover at the club. There are rumours that a former footballer will head a consortium that are interested in buying Leeds United. No formal offers have been made so it's a case of 'watch this space'.

Leeds United 4-1 Brentford

Brentford came out the blocks sharpest and it took only 3 minutes before they took the lead when David Moberg-Karlsson hammered home into the roof of the net. But that was as good as it get for Brentford, 10 minutes late Mirco Antenucci was brought down in the box and finished the penalty himself. Brentford barely had time to draw breath before defender Harlee Dean turned the ball into his own net. 10 minutes before half time Antenucci gave Leeds a comfertable half time advantage slotting the ball under the keepers body. The game was put to bed early in the second half by Bertrand Traore's right footed strike. Man of the match went to Antenucci after his 2 goals.

View attachment 182219
Leeds United 3-1 Ipswich

Can anybody stop Leeds at the moment? It appears not as they run out 3-1 winners at home to Ipswich. Botaka opened the scoring early on after skipping past a few defenders before cooly finishing. Leeds were pegged back after 33 minutes when Ryan Fraser fired home from 18 yards. More magic words were given from the Leeds boss at half time and soon after Stuart Dallas gave the home side the lead from 10 yards. The game was made safe in the 78th minute when man of the match Botaka converted a Dallas cross.
View attachment 182220
MK Dons 2-3 Leeds United

A fast paced game ended in another victory for Leeds United. Milton Keynes took the lead after 20 minutes through Jerome Thomas but Leeds immediately replied when Bertrand Traore continued his fantastic recent form by tucking into the far corner. Next it was Leeds' turn to take the lead when Mowatt fired home but just like The Dons, they were unable to hold that lead for long when Nicky Maynard equalised soon after. The winner came early in the second half when Jordan Botaka drove a shot past the keeper and into the goal. Man of match came from a dominating display from Mowatt in the midfield. This result sent Leeds top of the table for the first time this season.

View attachment 182218
Leeds United 1-2 Crystal Palace (aet)
Capital One Cup

Leeds Uniteds cup run comes to an end but they did not go down without a fight. A terrible start for the whites saw Bakary Sako open the scoring after just 3 minutes. From there on in there were few chances until United equalised in the 69th minute when Lee Erwin squeezed the ball home from a tight angle. That is how the game stayed after 90 minutes but soon into extra time it was dejavu when Sako again gave Palace the lead. That is how the game finished at Elland Road so the cup dream is over for another year for the men in white. Chapman will be hoping this result doesn't affect their fantastic league form.

View attachment 182221
Middlesborough 1-1 Leeds United

Maybe a game that should of seen Chapman handed his first defeat, ended all square at the Riverside. Middlesborough dominated possession throughout but it took till the 47th minute for Albert Adomah to finish a neat move at the back post. Boro continued to have most of the ball but an equaliser for Leeds came from a counter attack which was finished off by Bertrand Traore. Thats how the game finished as neither side could find a late winner.

View attachment 182222

Monthly Round Up

Overall a fantastic month, we have produced some fantastic results against good opposition and have ended September top of the league by 1 point. Slightly disappointed to go out of the cup but that could turn out to be a blessing as we can concentrate all our efforts on the league. The squad are generally happy apart from Casper Sloth and Giuseppe Belluschi, who are both unhappy with their playing time. I told them both to be patient to which Belluschi responded positively but Sloth did not, so he may leave the club in January. As for the takeover, there has been no further talk about this consortium. Monthly awards were picked up by Bertrand Traore who for the second month in a row was awarded Young Player Of The Month. He was closely followed this month by Alex Mowatt. And Leeds boss Chapman was pleased to be named Manager Of The Month for September.

Looks like a nice save mate! Some nice results early in the season i always good ;)

October 2015

We start October unbeaten in the league and looking unstoppable. Takeover looks close to being complete just in time for January, hopefully the new owners will back me financially. There's starting to be some unrest within the squad though, it all started with Casper Sloth being unhappy and it seems like the rest of the squad have took sides between me and Sloth. I sense a kind of divide starting in the squad and it seems to be quite a few of the Italians who are separating themselves. I'm keen to stop this from happening so there may be a few exits in January.

Leeds United 0-1 Birmingham City

Leeds came into this game top of the table against a Birmingham side who were rock bottom with only 1 point all season. A straightforward victory for Leeds surely? Guess again. In a game that Leeds peppered the City goal it really did show they lacked a quality striker up top. The only goal of the game came in the 63rd minute when Clayton Donaldson grabbed his 2nd goal of the season to upset all the odds. At the end of the game Chapman looked furious with his sides efforts as he marched down the tunnel.

View attachment 181621
Leeds United 3-2 Brighton

With Leeds looking to get back on track after last weeks disappointment, things couldnt of got off to a worse start when Elvis Manu struck in the 4th minute. Leeds got straight back into the game a minute later through Lee Erwin and then took a deserved lead just before half time when Charlie Taylor snuck in at the back post to head home. Jordan Botaka then extended United's lead soon after half time as Leeds looked comfortable. Brighton got a late consolation through Samaras but it was too little too late.

View attachment 181620
Fulham 1-3 Leeds United

A superb performance by Leeds as they swept past Fulham at a canter. Bertrand Traore opened the scoring sliding in at the far post to poke into an empty net. Lee Erwin continued his fine form by doubling the lead in the 35th minute. Giuseppe Belluschi rounded off a fine 1st half by heading home a Stuart Dallas corner. Leeds strolled through the 2nd half not causing too many problems. Young Cauley Woodrow scored a late goal for Fulham which was maybe the only negative on an overall impressive Leeds performance.

View attachment 181619
Bolton Wanderers 3-5 Leeds United

You wait all season for an own goal and then 3 come along at once. An unusual game which saw 8 goals, 3 of them scored in the wrong goal. It was a hectic first 10 minutes which saw Mark Davies become the first culprit to put it in his own net to gift Leeds the lead. Only a minute later and Zac Clough levelled for Bolton. Again a minute later saw Leeds regain the lead when Alex Mowatt squeezed in from a tight angle. Yet again Bolton found an equaliser when Dorian Dervite curled into the bottom corner. But that only lasted a minute again when Lee Erwin again put himself on the scoresheet. Leeds killed the game off through two quick fire goals in the 82nd and 84th minutes, first was a Lee Erwin shot that rebounded off the post onto Ben Amos' back and into the net. Next was a neat finish from Charlie Taylor which gave Leeds a 5-2 advantage. Tommaso Bianchi scored the final own goal of the game to make it 5-3.

View attachment 181618
Leeds United 1-0 Blackburn Rovers

A pretty drab game saw Leeds run out 1-0 winners but realistically it should of been more. Bertrand Traore grabbed the only goal of the game which saw Leeds move back to the top of the table.

View attachment 181617
Monthly Roundup

Unfortunately I forgot to screenshot the league table at the end of the month but we were top level on points with 2nd, leaps above our expectations. I know it's early on but I couldnt of wished for a better start really. Things are still a bit divided in the squad but hopefully that will fade as we go on. Massively dissapointing losing to Birmingham but glad how the squad bounced back with 4 wins in a row. Takeover apparently hit the rocks because Cellino believed the consortium did not have enough money, however by the end of the month it was back on track. Slightly worrying that he thought they didn't have enough money to buy the club, doesn't look like i'll be showered in cash for transfers should this takeover be completed.

Looks like a good start mate, I say bring back Mark Viduka and Alan Smith

Good save, here! It never looks right with Leeds in the Championship, of all the teams outside the Premier League, Leeds is the one that is oat missed. Maybe you should take over the real team, seasons going well for you so far! Looking forward to seeing how it goes!