billymacca

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first attempt at a story - hope you like it!
THE LEEDS UNITED SAGA

---------------------------------------------

BREAKING NEWS

GRAYSON SHOT IN HORROR ATTACK

Peacocks manager in coma at Leeds General Infirmiary

Murray Albrighton
LEEDS

LEEDS UNITED manager Simon Grayson is miraculously still alive after a horrifying attack left him with a massive loss of blood and serious brain injuries, teetering on the brink of survival last night. The former Leicester City star took a bullet to the brain in an unprovoked attack outside a Beeston service station. Grayson had been travelling home after a sponsors' function at Elland Road.

View attachment 144788
Police cordon off the scene of the shooting

A shaken Rob Smith, the BP attendant on duty, has told Sky News that Grayson was approached by two men as he filled his car with petrol, before taking a bullet to the head from point blank range. The quick-thinking Smith immediately alerted authorities and went to help Grayson until an ambulance arrived. Grayson was rushed to Leeds General Infirmary, where emergency surgery has reportedly stemmed the loss of blood; however Grayson remains in a critical condition, and is currently in a coma. Hopeful Leeds fans will be praying that Grayson has a similar recovery to Salvador Cabañas, who was shot in the head last year.

Leeds General Infirmary neurosurgeon Dr Paul Marks said that Grayson's injury did not equate with a speedy recovery. "Mr Grayson has suffered a severe neural haemorrhage and as a result his brain has swelled inside his skull. We are working on stabilising his condition, but the public must understand that brain injuries are very delicate and take a long time to heal." Dr Marks refused to give a timeline on Grayson's recovery, but did indicate it would be a "long time". Neurology experts have suggested Grayson would not be in a fit state to work for at least twelve months.

West Yorkshire Police chief Sir Norman Bettison has publicly denounced the attack and said that a full investigation of the incident would be carried out. "We cannot allow degenerates of the type that attacked Mr Grayson to run riot and rule this city," Sir Norman explained, "these offenders must be brought to justice. It is a miracle that Mr Grayson wasn't killed."

The Leeds United football squad was reportedly shocked to learn of Mr Grayson's shocking ordeal. Captain Jonny Howson, star player Luciano Becchio and chairman Ken Bates fronted a packed media conference at Elland Road this afternoon, stating that the team would rally to help Grayson and his family recover from the horrible disaster.

"It's an absolute shock that this has happened to such a great guy," Howson stated. "But we can't let this get us down. We're going to regroup, keep training hard and the club's fantastic staff will get us ready for the new season." Howson's sentiment was shared by Becchio, however it was disclosed that some members of the squad were in a state of shock. "We've brought in a counsellor, and she's been great so far – but it's my job as captain to make sure the lads get through this," Howson concluded.

View attachment 144790
Chairman Ken Bates at the impromptu press conference

Chairman Bates stated that Grayson would unfortunately have to be on leave of absence from the club as a result of the incident. Bates would not disclose whether assistant manager Glynn Snodin or a new face would take on the management of the club, but it is understood Grayson's family have discussed resigning on his behalf so they may concentrate fully on Grayson's treatment and wellbeing.

Top Gear presenter and local personality Richard Hammond has reportedly contacted Grayson's family to offer his assistance. Hammond suffered a similar injury in 2006 after a jet-powered car he was driving crashed. Hammond was successfully rehabilitated after a lengthy stint in the Leeds General Infirmary.

AP

SIMON GRAYSON'S HORROR ATTACK

SWELLING REDUCES, RISK REMAINS: SURGEON

Grayson's family tender resignation, speculation rife over replacement

attachment.php

Murray Albrighton
LEEDS

TWO DAYS AFTER the horror attack on Simon Grayson, the former Premier League star's family has tendered his resignation from his post as Leeds United manager, the club announced today. At a special press conference at Elland Road, wily chairman Ken Bates again refused to confirm who would take over the long-term running of the club. It was announced, however, that in the interim assistant manager Glynn Snodin would continue to take first team training.

It was also announced that the swelling of Grayson's brain had begun to subside. Neurosurgeon Dr Paul Marks could not confirm if this had meant Grayson was becoming responsive to stimuli from the medical team.

"His brain is less swollen, which is great news," Dr Marks indicated, "but he's definitely not out of the woods yet. We don't yet know whether he's suffered any brain damage, but we're relatively confident that he hasn't. Similar past cases would suggest that he may well get out of this unscathed; but he's facing at least a year, possibly longer before he can walk outside unassisted. We simply don't know what the effect of the injury will have on his brain and bodily function."

Despite confirmation that Glynn Snodin was taking training, much speculation remains as to who Grayson's successor will be. An unconfirmed backroom leak has suggested that the Leeds United board could be looking towards Mexican Javier Aguirre as a replacement, with other targets including club legend Lucas Radebe as well as Glenn Hoddle and Steve Clarke.

I like this start! bold and information is good! few pictures but not too many! :) a like it bud :) will be a followeR :)

Mate, like this already fella....So many good stories at the moment

Gona echo the other comments, really good start, and will add me as a follower too. Lots of great stories at the mo. KIU. Have a look at mine when u get a chance.

Thanks. :)

Thanks for the comments! Leeds are about to announce their new manager - just finishing the post at the moment :)

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

LEEDS UNITED SAGA
VIDUKA'S BACK IN TOWN!
Former Leeds United star agrees two-year deal to end speculation

808459c84950ba950051bca31bcd_grande.jpg

attachment.php

Murray Albrighton
LEEDS

FORMER LEEDS STRIKER Mark Viduka sensationally been appointed manager of Leeds United, a week after manager Simon Grayson's family tendered his resignation. The Leeds United board and squad appear pleased with the appointment, while fans have expressed their delight at the return of the marksman, who scored 72 goals in 166 appearances during his four-year stint at the club. Viduka, capped 43 times for the Australian national team, was part of the groundbreaking Leeds United squad that reached the UEFA Champions League semi-final in 2001. He went on to captain his country to an unlikely berth in the round of 16 at the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, almost knocking out eventual champions Italy.

"I'm delighted to have been appointed manager, but I'm saddened by the circumstances in which I've been appointed," an excited yet sombre Viduka revealed at the press conference at Elland Road today. "It's my goal to continue Simon's excellent work here, and push for promotion this season. It was Simon's great plan to play in the Premier League, and I plan to see that through."

Mark_Viduka_1461430c.jpg

Viduka became a crowd favourite at Leeds, but some critics remained

Viduka has been out of football for two years, and is relishing the chance to get back into it. "I spent a while on holiday, and then went back to Australia for year. I really got my head in the right place, and came back to England a few months ago to do some consulting work around the place. When Batesy gave me the call, my head and heart knew there was only going to be one answer. I'm delighted to be here."

Pundits from across the nation and the world have both applauded and criticised the decision to appoint Viduka, though most are pleased that the saga wasn't allowed to drag on. Sky Sports' own Martin Tyler says that it is best for both the club and Grayson's family that the issue was resolved quickly.

"I think Viduka is a good choice. He's not experienced as a manager, but he knows the club backwards and has captained both club and country on many occasions. He's about as experienced as you can get from a player, and I'm confident he can take this into the managerial realm."

However, TalkSPORT's Andy Gray has unsurprisingly offered a heartless critique of the Australian. "I think it's a terrible choice. Viduka was only a second-rate striker who sponged off Harry Kewell, he's not talented and Leeds will regret this decision." Gray subsequently received his first reprimand from his new employers for this opinionated statement, calling into question once more his credibility.

Captain Jonny Howson was delighted to see a club legend coming back, and offered a heart-warming description of the culture at Leeds United. "This club never leaves you," Howson chimed. "It's like a big family – it keeps loving you even after you've flown the coop! It's like that for Dukes (Viduka), and it'll be the same for Grayso (Grayson) – we'll care for him for as long as it takes."

Jonathan-Howson_1753237c.jpg

Leeds midfielder Howson is keen for a strong season under Viduka

Leeds' pre-season starts with a friendly against Dagenham & Redbridge at Victoria Road on 14 July. The whole country will be looking to see what Viduka can conjure up before the season commences on 7 August at Watford.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

attachment.php

WE’RE GOING BACK TO THE TOP
Viduka pledges immediate impact in the Championship
- Moyes: Dukes is a fine talent, his experience will show it
- Kewell: Even I’d consider coming back to Leeds now
Jeremy Collymore
in Leeds for AAP

In Australia, he is footballing folklore. In Middlesbrough, they wrote a song about him which even Leonard Cohen endorsed. In Newcastle, he endeared himself to the fears even through injury.

At Leeds, he put four past Liverpool, fired in a winner against Arsenal and almost took the club through to an historic Champions League final.

That’s the legend of Mark Viduka, and it is understandable why the fans are as delighted as could be given the situation. Out with one hero, in with another.

The veteran Australian has agreed a two-year deal thought to be worth around £300,000 a season to sensationally replace Simon Grayson, who was shot at a service station a little over a week ago. Sky Sports reported that Viduka is “delighted” to have been appointed to the position.

"I'm going to carry on Simon's legacy," Viduka stated confidently. "Both the squad and me want results, and frankly that's what I'm going to strive for. I don't think it's unrealistic to say 'we have a chance of promotion this year', because that's what every club in the League wants and that's what every club strives for. Just look at Blackpool last year. I'm like Ian Holloway, except a lot more mentally stable."

Holloway reportedly laughed off the barb from Viduka.

Viduka has recently finished up some consulting work with Everton in Liverpool, working closely with David Moyes on attacking strategy and youth development. Moyes reflected on Tim Cahill’s recommendation that the man known as ‘Dukes’ play a role in the continuing development on the Premier League side.

“Mark was an excellent guy to have around,” Moyes mused. “He’s quiet, but a natural leader. It’s unbelievable how much he knows about the game. In just under six months, he helped reshape our attack whilst he gave our youngsters a new lease of life. In particular Seamus Coleman, who has shone under Dukes’ tutelage.”

Viduka also reportedly pioneered the use of the football program Football Manager 2011. Reports suggest he will be using version 11.3 to run Leeds United.

There have always been critics of Viduka, but one thing no-one could ever question was his technical ability as a target man. Former Leeds and Australian national team-mate Harry Kewell thinks that on pure experience alone, Viduka could achieve great things.

kewell_viduka,0.jpg

Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka worked wonders at Leeds

“I think he’s great. I mean, great. I might be a simple man, I might not be all that smart or whatever, but I know that Dukes is real good (sic) at football. I reckon I’d come (and) work under him if I had a half a chance (sic).”

It seems that the footballing world is behind Viduka. I’m sure he’d love to prove to all of them that he’s got just as much talent as a manager than he did as a player.

attachment.php

LEEDS
UNITED SEASON PREVIEW
Experienced signings to partner solid first XI

It's going to be a bumper year for the Leeds faithful, writes ESPN SoccerNet senior analyst Tommy Smyth.

One out, one in

What a rocky start for Leeds' second life in the championship. The Yorkshire club has already gone through financial turmoil, and already had two saviours – Ken Bates and Simon Grayson. With the latter unfortunately temporarily incapacitated by soulless thugs, a new man steps up to the plate.

But Mark Viduka isn't foreign to pressure, nor is he foreign to success. For me, Viduka's got the … gumption to take Leeds from a Football League side to a thriving Premier League success.

Transfers

Viduka has undertaken a much-needed revamp of the playing squad, signing some of Simon Grayson's targets, and making some inspired signings of his own.

Transfers outincluded Davide Somma (£190,000 to Pescara, Italian Serie B), Andy Robinson (free), Andy Hughes (free, Motherwell, Scottish Premier League), George McCartney (loan terminated – injury, returned to Sunderland), David Gonzalez (loan terminated, returned to Manchester City) and Sanchez Watt (loan terminated, returned to Arsenal). This was a great move by Viduka – clearing out players that commanded high wages and wouldn't have got first team action.

The transfers in represent some fantastic business by Leeds United.

MAX TONETTO (Left back/left midfielder – free transfer, Roma, Italian Seria A)

Tonetto signs autographs outside Thorp Arch
Tonetto represents a huge coup for the club. The vastly experienced former Italian international attracted interest from Premier League clubs such as Everton, but Viduka's promise of key-player status reportedly lured the left back to the club. The two-year deal could possibly involve one year of active playing, and one year of transition to a coaching role, as at 35, Tonetto certainly doesn't have his whole career ahead of him.

As the season wears on, I think he may find himself playing as a wide midfielder, with Federico Bessone slotting into left back. However if Bradley Johnson or Aidan White can hold down the left flank instead, we may see Tonetto delivering his trademark pinpoint crosses from his favoured left-back position. Even though he's older, he's still got a bit of toe left in him.

STEVE FINNAN (Right back – free transfer, Portsmouth, Premier League)

steve_finnan_792711c.jpg

Finnan's Liverpool experience will come in very handy at his new club
Steve Finnan represents yet more experience thrust into the Leeds backline. Viduka's obviously getting his house in order before he goes and attacks down the street – Finnan represents exactly what's needed in a promotion side: been-there-done-that, but he has experienced also relegation heartache and financial disappointment. He's achieved that with Liverpool and Portsmouth respectively.

I think he'll slot straight into the right back position. Leeds lacked quality down there – Jason Crowe just isn't a Championship player. Finnan most certainly is (or even arguably a Premier League backup) – and although it's the twilight of his career, he's a great signing and he'll work well with Leeds.

JOSÉ GONCALVES (Centre back – free transfer, Hearts, Scottish Premier League)

Goncalves is looking for a fresh start
Gonçalves is an interesting one. He was available on a free, and he was once billed as a future superstar – but instead festered away at teams he shouldn't have been at.

Looking on the bright side, Gonçalves could just be the signing of the season. He's got great pace and strength, and good technical defensive skills. His two downfalls are his composure and decision making. Expect plently of brilliant tackles mixed with several yellow cards. My bet – he'll have an great season, then get a red card in the last game – it's up to Viduka to prepare his team for how to respond.

MARCO VERRATTI (Attacking/central midfielder – loan (£400,000), Pescara, Italian Serie B)

Verratti can't wait to sink his teeth into English football

Verratti is a good signing by Viduka. This amazingly talented youngster will be a backup for Nunez and Clayton, whilst getting thoroughly important first team experience and learning English. It's a perfect deal for him and the club – if Leeds aren't promoted, he'll move on to bigger and better things. If Leeds get up, expect him to be the linchpin of any Premier League title assault in the next 10-15 years.

Tactics

I've got a pretty good idea of how Viduka will set up. Being a target man himself (and having relatively reduced striker stocks), I think Viduka will go for a packed midfield with lone striker. His first XI will look something like this, in a 4-4-1-1 formation:

View attachment 147182
Click the image to see it in full

Other reserve players that may get a run: Shane Higgs (goalkeeper); Neil Collins, Leigh Bromby, Richard Naylor (centre backs); Fede Bessone (left back); Lloyd Sam (right wing) Mike Grella (striker/attacking midfielder).

My prediction

It's going to be a very close run thing for Leeds this season. I can't see them winning or gaining automatic promotion. It's going to be a very tough ask, but I think Leeds can scrape 6th spot if they play responsible, positive football.

If they make the playoffs - boy, I wouldn't want to be up against them.

Tommy Smyth is a regular on ESPN SoccerNet Press Pass. Be sure to catch Tommy tonight as he previews the La Liga season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

attachment.php

YOU SABOTAGED MY SIGNINGS
Viduka furious at Foreign Office for refusal of visas

attachment.php

Murray Albrighton
LEEDS

LEEDS MANAGER Mark Viduka vented his frustration at the British Foreign Office yesterday, labelling the decision to refuse visas for free agents Marko Babic, Marko Livaja and Abdul Nafiu Iddrisu "a complete farce".

All three of the players had agreed personal terms with the West Yorkshire club, only to have work permits refused. "It's unbelievable," Viduka stated. "Babic had excellent credentials, while Livaja was abandoned by his old club, and we were going to give him a lifeline. As for Iddrisu – he's a Ghanaian, and there are thousands of Ghanaians living in Britain! He would have been excellent for the club, and now a stupid decision has ruined our plans for these three exciting players."

The British Foreign Office refused to make an extended statement last night, but a spokesperson from the Office said that they "had immigration standards which were rigorously upheld. The three subjects in question did not meet these standards. Under our guidelines these cases must be kept strictly confidential and we are not permitted to discuss them further."

babic.jpg

Marko Babic was reportedly delighted to have agreed terms with Leeds, and would have been a fantastic addition

Australian civil libertarian and Leeds fan Terry O'Gorman expressed his disgust at the handling of the matter. "It's a cover-up! The Foreign Office picks and chooses who will be in their master race and clearly Croats and Ghanaians aren't in it. Lucky Mark has Australian citizenship otherwise he'd be out. We need transparency about this, and we need is very soon."

Fantastic story so far. Viduka is a ledge, have heard great things abt Veratti, good luck mate.

attachment.php

LEEDS PRE-SEASON FRIENDLIES

VIDUKA PLEASED WITH PROGRESS
Time to walk the walk, suggests Aussie

Jeremy Collymore
In Leeds for BBC Worldwide

LEEDS UNITED have enjoyed a successful pre-season campaign, remaining undefeated by recording three victories and two draws, with squad morale said to be "high".

Manager Mark Viduka was pleased with Leeds' progress when interviewed at Thorp Arch yesterday. "We've done well so far," the Leeds manager exclusively revealed to the BBC. "Everyone knows each other, everyone seems to be gelling so we're all pretty excited to kick the season off."

But the former Leeds front man says it's old clichés that need to be driven home to the players. "This is the Championship, a level up from where we were last year. It's going to be hard work, but they've heard it all before. My staff and I have been drumming it into the boys and working them hard so they realise what it'll take to achieve our goals this year."

It looks likely that the leadership group of Jonny Howson and Richard Naylor will get a shuffle-up. New signing Steve Finnan and young winger Robert Snodgrass are thought to be in the running for the arm band.

Pre-Season Match Results & Reports with James Asafu for BBC Worldwide

Match 1 (W)
Queen of the South 0 – 3 Leeds United
Clayton (pen 45’), Becchio (48), Bruce (79)​
This was a solid performance from Viduka’s men in this match. A nervy first half culminated in a superbly taken penalty by Adam Clayton, before the Whites dominated the second half with two well-worked goals.
Match 2 (D)
Rochdale 0 – 0 Leeds United
A relatively boring match in which neither side ever seemed to want the upper hand. Leeds perhaps got the points decision in the first half, but a red card for avulgar Max Gradel challenge and an injury to Neil Kilkenny did not help the Leeds proceedings and they struggled from then.

Match 3 (W)
Lisburn Distillery 0 – 1 Leeds United
Becchio (66)​
Leeds absolutely dominated this match but their finishing was absolutely appalling. They created 24 chances but only took one of them. Becchio, Nunez and co. need to sharpen up.

Match 4 (W)
Leeds United 4 – 2 Heart of Midlothian
Verratti (31’), Nunez (37’), McCormack (88’, 90+3’); Kyle (45’), Robinson (84)​
The Peacocks can count themselves a little lucky here, but did deserve to win. Dominated the first half and had a poor second until McCormack took advantage of a tired Hearts defence and scored a cracker to win the match, before sealing it with a tap-in in stoppage time. Leeds’ biggest test so far, which they passed. Defence still not watertight.

Match 5 (D)
Leeds United 1 – 1 Blackpool
Grella (31’); Vaughan (65’)​
It just wasn’t Leeds’ day today. Another dominant first half and another second half disappointment. I hope this doesn’t become the order of the season, but Leeds stood up to the challenge of Blackpool and earned a draw.

------------------------------------------------------------------​

attachment.php

UP AND AT 'EM!
FORMER LEEDS MANAGER SIMON GRAYSON AWAKES FROM COMA
- Still months from recovery, can only stay awake for an hour at a time
- Little to no permanent brain damage: surgeon
- He recognised me immediately: Paul Grayson

attachment.php

Murray Albrighton
LEEDS

IT WAS LOOKING particularly bleak for the first 24 hours after the shooting, but former Leeds Manager Simon Grayson has continued his impressive recovery by waking from a coma three weeks after after being shot in the head at a Beeston service station, hospital staff confirmed today. Leeds General Infirmary Neurosurgeon Dr. Paul Marks said that whilst it would be a long time until Grayson was fully recovered, the early signs were very positive.

"Mr Grayson has awoken from his coma, and was able to recognise his brother and wife. He was startled to learn what had happened, as he has no memory of the incident. Mr Grayson's memory has been affected, at least in the short term, as he could not remember his home address or telephone number." However, on the lighter side, Marks said that Grayson wanted to get out of bed to attend a press conference at Elland Road.

"He asked to know the time and date," Dr Marks added, "and upon being told it, said he was late for the Leeds pre-match press conference. Luckily we were able to dissuade him from attending, and he fell asleep."

Marks said that Grayson would undergo psychiatric assessment and counselling in order to be properly rehabilitated. When Marks told Grayson he had to step down from the position of Leeds United manager, he was disappointed, but didn't really understand what was going on. "It was a lot for him to take in," Dr Marks commented, "but his response is consistent with how we expect his recovery to go. He should steadily increase his memory, mental capacity and spatial awareness over the coming weeks. We are confident after today's developments that he will make a full recovery."

Grayson's brother Paul thanked the Leeds public for their support. He also made particular mention of Mark Viduka and the Leeds United team. "Everyone's been great. It was fantastic to meet Mark, and he's come in to check on Simon several times. The team have sent well wishes, as have the public – I just want to thank them all. It looks like Simon will recover, but it'll be really slow."

Leeds' first home match against Derby County on 14 August will be dedicated to Grayson, with fans to sign 'get well' messages on huge Leeds United flags. A bumper crowd is expected at Elland Road, with the club forecasting 36,000 tickets to be sold. Tickets are on sale through www.lufc.co.uk, starting at £18.00.

Brilliant writing mate ! Definitely following

Viduka is the future of Leeds and will definitely lead them back to the glory days

wonderful update again mate! love the backdrop to this story! :) keep up the effort! :D

View attachment 147541

HULL v LEEDS: CHAMPIONSHIP BEGINS TOMORROW
Hull City and Leeds United at loggerheads to start off season with a win

Robbie Slater
FOXSPORTS.com.au

What a blockbuster to start the season. Hull City and Leeds United – a Yorkshire derby – this is a matchup where fireworks are always on the menu. This fixture hasn’t been played for several years, but I’m sure there’s still no love lost between the two teams.

Preview
Hull City

The Tigers look strong for a promotion charge this year under boss Nigel Pearson. Jimmy Bullard’s going to be key to any hopes that Hull have of promotion, but there’s plenty of quality all over the park – Zayette, Guzan, Koren, and let’s not forget Aussie Richard Garcia.

jimmy-bullard-goal.jpg

Hull will be looking to Bullard for inspiration and experience

Robbie predicts
: might miss out on automatic promotion, could be a threat in the playoffs.

Leeds United

I’m great mates with Mark Viduka (the Leeds boss) and I’ve had a chat to him about what he reckons is possible on Humberside this season. I think that Leeds don’t have an amazing chance at promotion, but Dukes has done well to strengthen the squad in a few key areas. I think the singing of Tonetto is brilliant, and with Finnan on the other flank, these guys could get watertight pretty quickly. I think young spark Ramon Nunez will have a say in things as well.

0,,10273%7E9147049,00.jpg

Leeds will look to excitement machine Nunez to fire home a few pearlers

Robbie predicts
: won’t make automatic promotion, and a slim chance to pick up 6th; dangerous nonetheless.

Robbie’s score prediction: Hull 3 -1

I can’t go past this Hull side. If it were December and Leeds had gelled, then they’d be in with a shot – but I think Hull will come out on top. Leeds will still make a show of it.

August Fixtures

npowerchampionship-150x150.gif
carling-cup-round-3-results.jpg

7 August – vs Hull City [A] nPower Championship

9 August – vs Lincoln City [A] Carling League Cup 1st Round

14 August – vs Derby County [H] nPower Championship

21 August – vs Bristol City [A] nPower Championship

25 August – Carling League Cup 2nd Round

28 August – vs Doncaster [H] nPower Championship

[FONT=&quot] 31 August – vs Scunthorpe [A] nPower Championship

----------------------------------------

attachment.php

[/FONT]
Championship - Match 1
HULL
2 – 1 LEEDS
Tigers show class, take three points; Leeds impressive but inconsistent
David Burnie
KC Stadium, Hull

SCORERS: Hull – Zayatte (33'), Bullard (pen, 45+2'); Leeds – Verratti (pen, 54')
MAN OF THE MATCH: Jimmy Bullard – 8.4 (Hull)
DISCIPLINE: View attachment 147548 Gonçalves (58’)

IT was the result many predicted – a close-run affair, but Hull held out for the three points at the KC Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The game seemed to have the prediction as the outcome from the outset. The Tigers started the match in earnest, taking the ascendancy in the first half through a well-taken goal by Kamil Zayatte, before a Jimmy Bullard penalty late in the first half sewed up a 2-0 half time advantage. The away side looked disappointed going into the dressing sheds.

Notwithstanding the poor end to the first half, Leeds started the second half brightly with a number of chances falling the Peacocks' way. Youngster Marco Verratti calmly slotted a penalty with plenty of time to play, setting up an enthralling finish. However Leeds were forced to tone down their attack as centre-back José Gonçalves was given his marching orders for a second yellow card midway through the second half.

United had several chances on the break to level proceeding, but Luciano Becchio skied a wonderful chance 15 yards out to leave the score as it was. Richard Garcia almost doubled the Tigers’ lead on full time but his thumping strike only caught the side netting, much to the relief of Leeds keeper Kasper Schmeichel, who was relatively tidy throughout the game.

But it wasn't all bad for the visitors. Lovely link-up play between Tonetto, Finnan and the Leeds midfield was a highlight; Leeds manager Mark Viduka will certainly be pushing for more of this in matches to come.

It's easy for the Tigers boss Nigel Pearson – more of the same please.

Last edited:
wonderful story :D
i bought finnan in my save...somma, robinson and hughes were out as well haha wt a coincidence

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback :) August was a busy month, some interesting results - my tactic is working a treat! Stay tuned for the update - I swear I'm not cheating :p

This is really good stuff, love the lay out, love the story, KIU

really like ure opening...fascinating

seen u commented on mine thanks maye, just updated it there, will do alot tomorrow as i have alot of spare time on my hands

thanks

[FONT=&quot]
attachment.php

[/FONT]

League Cup Round 1
LEEDS 3 – 0 LINCOLN
Positive performance secures second round berth for Viduka’s men
David Burnie
Sincil Bank, Lincoln

SCORERS: Leeds – Verratti (10’), Clayon (31’), Johnson (53’)
MAN OF THE MATCH: Bradley Johnson – 8.2 (Leeds)

Leeds United easily dispatched League 2 side Lincoln Town on Monday evening with an impressive performance. The West Yorkshire side created numerous opportunities, and unlike in some of their pre-season encounters, took most of the chances that came their way.

The match started in earnest with Leeds dominating the unfancied opposition. Marco Verratti popped up just inside the area to slot home the opener. Leeds didn’t enjoy a huge amount of possession, but continued to use the ball they got, with Adam Clayton tucking in a tidy finish inside the area on the half-hour.

Lincoln didn’t look good after the break either, but their best chance did fall to Scott Kerr, only for the midfielder to force Kasper Schmeichel into a relatively basic save. The rout was complete when Bradley Johnson, who put in a superb man of the match performance, netted a fantastic strike on 53 minutes.

More chances flowed for Leeds, but the game was won in the players’ heads and they looked to knock the ball around and conserve some precious energy.

Post-match, Mark Viduka was pleased with the performance. “It’s a start, a good start,” the Leeds manager noted. “Now it’s time to take this form to the league and get off and running there too.”

Well said, Mark. Leeds will want nothing other than three points against Derby at home, with a bumper crowd expected; if it’s another loss, it could be a very long way up for Viduka’s boys.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

attachment.php

Championship - Match 2
LEEDS 4 – 0 DERBY
United smash Rams to record first league win of the season
Stephen Waller
ELLAND ROAD

SCORERS: Leeds – Gradel (15’, 29’), Clayton (19’), Becchio (71’)
MAN OF THE MATCH: Luciano Becchio – 8.6 (Leeds)

36,000 FANS packed Elland Road yesterday to see a rampant Leeds United utterly destroy a lacklustre Derby County. Mark Viduka’s men dispatched the visitors in a sizzling first half display featuring some brilliant link-up play deserved of a Premier League side. Leeds kept a tidy 4-4-1-1 formation for the duration of the match; the willingness of the Leeds players to hassle and harry the opposition showing through as there were chances aplenty.

Leeds were the better side from the 2 minute mark on, when Kris Commons snatched at a chance to send the ball flying into the away supporters bay. The Derby fans applauded their main man, but little did they know it was the best they’d see from him as United took the ascendency and took control of the game.

Brilliant wing play by Max Gradel resulted in a fine strike from a rather acute angle. Derby were seemingly stunned by the Ivorian’s goal; so much so that Adam Clayton was allowed to sprint through a hole in the Derby defence and slot a cool finish past Derby ‘keeper Stephen Bywater.

Gradel wasn’t finished though. Another bursting run in from the wing saw a goalmouth scramble with Gradel eventually poking the ball into the net. It could have been a hat-trick had Gradel scored from the spot on 41 minutes, but he tamely hit the ball straight into the grateful arms of Bywater. Leeds looked thoroughly pleased at half-time, in stark contrast to the Rams’ grim faces.

MaxGradel.jpg

Max Gradel put in a good performance, scoring two goals

The rout didn’t stop after half time, and after a brief resistance from Derby, Gradel earned another penalty – but couldn’t take his hat-trick as he hoofed his spot-kick deep into the Elland Road crowd. He was replaced shortly after, and Luciano Becchio finished the deed be scoring a real poacher’s finish with 20 minutes to play.

There’s all-court tennis, and all-round golfers; in this match, Leeds showed they can knock it about the pitch like any team. The Leeds midfield and full backs linked up superbly, and the effortlessness with which Jose Goncalves and Alex Bruce bossed the Rams in defence was to be admired.

“Wonderful, just wonderful from the lads,” Viduka commented after the match. “This sends a message – we’re not here to be walked over, it’s not a foregone conculsion. We’re here to shake it up and if you’re playing us, you’d better watch out.” Let’s hope the words from an uncharacteristically fired up Viduka ring true for the rest of the season.

Leeds sit 8th after two matches, a point from the playoff sports. Nottingham Forest and Milwall continue to set the early pace, sitting in the automatic qualification spots. Many pundits predict Forest to take home the title – only time will tell.

Last edited:
good read here, mate :)
wish you promoted to EPL ;)