Left Over Tactics + Team Talk Strategy ::: Unusual Formations ::: by Artisan

Artisan

Reaction score
Introduction
Hello there fellow managers! After a really long hiatus due to a combination of my reduced interest in the game and other real life stuff, I have decided to post some tactics that were just lying around on my computer that brought me success in the past but never uploaded. A lot of the tactics were initially created to and emulate real life teams but completely evolved to something else.

I will be uploading the ones with relatively unusual shapes as there are many other conventional shaped and might I say very good tactics on the site already.

I guess watching all the world cup games just made me feel like re-immersing myself into the world of FM and uploading the tactics that helped me succeed in the past.

The format of this thread will be a little different from my usual style but it will still be easy to understand and navigate through, at least hopefully. So I will not be adding too much detail but you should still get the general gist of things.

I will also be trying to keep it short and sweet and try to get to the point as quick as possible so that you don't spend the whole day reading. So without further ado, lets get into it.

Also, here are links to my other threads,

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...en-klopps-gegenpressing-artisan-14-3-1-a.html

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...-l-brazils-samba-football-artisan-14-3-a.html

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...nte-lll-3-5-2-3-3-4-lll-artisan-14-2-2-a.html
Left Over Tactics
I recently bought a new high end gaming PC and her name is Donna so I lost files from the games I played on my Mac but I did quick tests on the new PC in order to get some results to post.

PS. Only the most elite amongst you will understand the names of the tactics. (H) ;)
The Lannister
This tactic was created in attempt to emulate a high possession tactic that would still pose a threat in the oppositon half. Most possession tactics seem to involve passing the ball from left to right without any penetration and with this tactic, I tried to eliminate this. Emphasis on tried, lol :p. But jokes apart though It seemed to work quite well. I was initially aiming to emulate Peps super Barcelona team.

View attachment 368727
This formation will average you about 60% possession and you will also get good chances to score goals. I made a second more defensive variation but did not really test it. Just noticed my team was soaking pressure near the end of games and I needed to make changes so I saved the changes

Match Preparation should be Attacking Movement

The Baratheon
I made this tactic very soon after the newest FM patch was released. A lot of real life managers started playing a 5 man hybrid defence (wingbacks) in order to flood the midfiield and prevent tika taka football from being so tiki taka. Conte, Rogers, and as we have seen recently, lots of teams in the world cup. It seems to be a very popular approach right now. I was trying to emulate Conte's Invincibles
View attachment 368723

View attachment 368722View attachment 368721View attachment 368720

The formation will get you possession but is dependent on getting the right players to play in the right position. Passing ability is useful in all positions. Match preparation can be kept on Attacking Movement against weaker teams and Defensive Positioning against Stronger Teams.​

View attachment 368711

The Targaryen

I made this tactic to try and force my team to make lots of passes in the opposition area. With the three AMCs linking up with the False 9 and the Regista, your team will play some very good football in the aforementioned area. It is hard to see now but my initial idea and shape before this final product were based on Johan Cruyff's Total Football.

It was initially a 3-4-3 (Wide Diamond with 3 strikers). So the new tactic has two strikers pulled back to AMC and Wingers pulled back to Wingback positions

View attachment 368719

Technical abilities all round is a massive advantage. I really enjoyed the football my team plays with this setup and you do get some good possession (although was not the plan) and passing stats especially from your Regista. Also has a pretty stable defence

Match preparation can be kept on Attacking Movement

These are the only tactics that I have got round to retesting so far but will upload a few more as time goes by

Recommended Attributes
With regards to recommended player attributes, the game does a good job of informing you which stats are good for specific roles and you should try to follow those guidelines.

In order to use this feature, you go to the players profile and on the right of the screen you will fin the players position panel. In that panel you will see the players best roles and drop down options. Select the role you want him to play and the attributes for that role will be highlighted. Example below of preferred attributes for a Regista.

View attachment 368703

Team Talks
A lot of people have sent me quite a few messages about what i do for my team talks and these people are right to want to take this aspect of the game serious. Although it must be said that I have not done directed research on team talks, I have had a lot of experience and will be working off that for this section. So here you go. It might seem a bit much at the start but when you get used to it, you will not need to read this section anymore. It will become intuitive. TRUST ME !

View attachment 368715

Pre-match Team Talks
I usually link this to my teams form and the pre-match analysis comments. Think about the analysis comments as a sort of summary from a TV show like soccer saturday or match of the day. It is definitely more accurate than the numerical odds you get a few days before the game and is usually different. It usually appears on the second screen on match day after the formations screen. Example below.

Home Games
I listed the some base scenarios that should sort of cover most situations. Listed evry situation is really tedious and I might update it later if need be.

Clear Favourites + Good Form : Expect A Performance (Aggresive or Assertive) + Pick Up where Left off for top performers in previous game

Favourite + Decent Form : Expect A Performance (Assertive) or For the Fans (Calm, Assertive)

Expected to Draw/Narrow Win + Previous good Game : Usually don't say anything or Pick Up where Left off for top performers in previous game.

Expected to loose Heavily: Usually don't say anything or No pressure (calm)

Rival Game or Cup Final/Semi: Expect A Performance (Passionate) if in good form or For the Fans (Passionate) in all other situations

Away Games
Clear Favourites + Good Form : Expect A Performance (Aggresive or Assertive) + Pick Up where Left off for top performers in previous game

Favourite + Decent Form : For the Fans (Calm, Assertive)

Expected to Draw/Narrow Win + Previous good Game : Usually don't say anything or Pick Up where Left off for top performers in previous game.

Expected to loose Heavily: No pressure (calm)

Rival Game or Cup Final/Semi: For the Fans (Passionate)

View attachment 368714

Halftime Team Talk
As you would have expected, I link this to the halftime score and also individual performances. But I also link it back to pre match analysis as well to determine the tone that I use. I put players into 3 categories based on there rating (Bad < 6.8), (Average 6.8), (Good > 6.8), (Great > 7.2). I will start with the general team talk the talk about individual after

Clear Favourites + Winning by over 2 goals or more: Happy with Football being Played (Assertive)
Clear Favourites + Winning by a goal: Things are going well but could be better (Assertive) or Complacency (Calm)
Clear Favourites + Drawing:
Clear Favourites + Loosing: Expect Better (Aggressive) or Show me something Else (Aggressive)

Favourite + Winning by over 2 goals or more: Say Nothing or Happy with Football being Played (Calm)
Favourite + Winning by a goal: Say Nothing
Favourite + Drawing: Expect Better (Assertive)
Favourite + Loosing: Expect Better (Assertive, Calm) or Show me something Else (Assertive, Calm)

Narrow Win + Winning by over 2 goals or more: Happy with Football being Played (Assertive)
Narrow Win + Winning by a goal: Could be better (Calm/Cautious)
Narrow Win + Drawing: Could be better (Assertive)
Narrow Win + Loosing: Expect Better (Calm)

Expected to loose Heavily + Winning by 2 goals or more : Happy with Football being Played (Passionate)
Expected to loose Heavily + Winning by a goal : Happy with Football being Played (Calm)
Expected to loose Heavily + Drawing: Happy with Football being Played (Calm)
Expected to loose Heavily + Loosing: Show me Something Else if loosing heavily (Assertive) + No Pressure if narrowly loosing (Calm)

Individual Halftime
(Bad < 6.8) : Not Happy With performance (Assertive if Loosing) (Calm if winning)
(Average 6.8): No Individual Talk
(Good > 6.8) Have faith/there is more to come (Calm)
(Great > 7.2): Happy with performance (Assertive)

Post Match
Follows the same principle for the halftime team and individual team talks

Well that's it for now. Like I said I will upload some more of these tactics with time.

Last edited:
haha Particularly like the Game of Thrones titles :) what was your personal favourite?

haha Particularly like the Game of Thrones titles :) what was your personal favourite?

;)

Has to be a choice for me between Lannister and Targaryen although I mainly used the latter with good teams

;)

Has to be a choice for me between Lannister and Targaryen although I mainly used the latter with good teams

Yeah, the results with Targaryen do seem to suggest that attack is the best form of defence on this edition. Seems to be best to put pressure on the opp defence high up the pitch and then hope if they break through that you can nick the all back and break on them by overloading the now outnumbered defence

Are there any OI's you use on your tactics? More specifically the Targaryen?

Made a couple of changes to the Targaryen which seem to make it more defensively solid, or at least bring more players into a defensive position, and doesn't seem to effect the attacking potency too much. I've moved the 2 AP (s) back to CM (s) with get forward more. They contribute more defensively this way but still get into positions in build up play and also make runs into the box. I've also changed the BPD's to standard CD's as they were getting pressed a lot by forwards and losing the ball. Taken all short passing off of them

If you have found any way of stopping FB's/WB's defending like complete f*cks then I'd most appreciate it. My biggest frustration, among many, is how FB's come in so narrow and leave the opp wingers in heaps of space. 90% of goals I concede with EVERY tactic will be from a winger doing something because the FB comes narrow to mark the striker, even when defending with 3 CD's!!!

Where is the STARK?!!!!! Just kidding, love the GoT references.

Going to see if any are of use to me.

I had a set of three tactics once, named them Trevor (the defensive) Michael (the possesion) and Franklin (the attacking) :p

Most of us probably have over 200 tactics in the folder so naming is an issue

I can confirm Expect a win when favorite and No pressure when underdog to work good most of the times.

what tactic would you recommand away from home

and is this the new tactics you where talking about releasing??

If you have found any way of stopping FB's/WB's defending like complete f*cks then I'd most appreciate it. My biggest frustration, among many, is how FB's come in so narrow and leave the opp wingers in heaps of space. 90% of goals I concede with EVERY tactic will be from a winger doing something because the FB comes narrow to mark the striker, even when defending with 3 CD's!!!

I know. This yrs game is consistently inconsistent with many things especially defending

what tactic would you recommand away from home

and is this the new tactics you where talking about releasing??

when I used these tactics, I did not have variations for playing either away or at home. I basically just plugged them in. I will be adding the other tactics off my game saves. I have quite a lot and trying to find the unusual/plug and play ones I used.

when I used these tactics, I did not have variations for playing either away or at home. I basically just plugged them in. I will be adding the other tactics off my game saves. I have quite a lot and trying to find the unusual/plug and play ones I used.

Am Sunderland in the premiership what one would you recommand

I loved your 4-2-2-2 ,any plans to update it or twak it? best fm tactic imo

Am Sunderland in the premiership what one would you recommand

I loved your 4-2-2-2 ,any plans to update it or twak it? best fm tactic imo

Have not used my Magic Rectangle in quite a while and I wont be tweaking it because it worked very well for a lot of people. Don't fix it if it's not broken I guess.

With these tactics though, I think it would have to depend on what type of players you have

My World Cup With Holland.

Tactic
The Baratheon

Formation
View attachment 616870

View attachment 616840
Russia and Australia Was with others tactics.

Group
View attachment 616841

2 round
View attachment 616844View attachment 616847

Quarterfinal
View attachment 616850View attachment 616853

Semifinals
View attachment 616859View attachment 616860

Final
View attachment 616863View attachment 616865

* Åbne chancer = CCC
** Halve Chancer = Half chances
NO OI`s

haha Don't know how the **** you won that France game. I guess it was against france? That was more of a 1 sided game than I've seen anyone complain about in their own games haha