• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 2K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Per Mertesacker believes he has no better role model at Arsenal than former Gunners captain Tony Adams.

More...

That's not a bad way to endear yourself to your new fans, especially when some were sceptical about your signing.

Interested to see how he'll fit in. Sure he, Arteta, Park and Santos would all have preffered a home game to start their Arsenal careers (if they all play), but Swansea isn't the most difficult game this season so be good to see how they start off.

He's rather Adams-esque, actually: No blistering pace to bail him out, and not very 'cultured', but exceptionally good at the basics of defending.

That's not a bad way to endear yourself to your new fans, especially when some were sceptical about your signing.

Interested to see how he'll fit in. Sure he, Arteta, Park and Santos would all have preffered a home game to start their Arsenal careers (if they all play), but Swansea isn't the most difficult game this season so be good to see how they start off.

Swansea are a team that like to push forward so Per could have his hands full.

I've rated Mertesacker for a long time hope he proves all the critics wrong

Pace is a slight concern for him but in all honesty it's the signing that Arsenal have needed for the last 4/5 years. Unfortunately for them, they have since found other holes in other places. Arteta and Benayoun (and are both injury prone so they definitely fit he Arsenal player scheme) will be solid but they are way, way off the standards of Fabregas and Nasri.

He could seriously struggle against the pace of Sinclar/Dyer/Routledge. Won't be the easy game many Arsenal fans are expecting against Swansea.

The "he is not pacey, he is very slow" card is over played here. He is not quick but there are many defenders who are not quick but still one of the best in the world like Vidic, Terry and co. Pace is not be all for CBs.

If pace is that imp then Inter have terminated Nelson Rivas contract. May well sign him..

It is at home?

He could seriously struggle against the pace of Sinclar/Dyer/Routledge. Won't be the easy game many Arsenal fans are expecting against Swansea.

But then we've got Koscielny who has plenty of pace. Mertesacker is a player who likes to push up from defence and make interceptions, while Kos has always been more of a "sweeper" - besides, assuming we continue to average around 60% possession, they shouldn't have TOO many opportunities to get in behind and if they do, I imagine they'll try to attack down the wings.

The "he is not pacey, he is very slow" card is over played here. He is not quick but there are many defenders who are not quick but still one of the best in the world like Vidic, Terry and co. Pace is not be all for CBs.

If pace is that imp then Inter have terminated Nelson Rivas contract. May well sign him..

This...

But then we've got Koscielny who has plenty of pace. Mertesacker is a player who likes to push up from defence and make interceptions, while Kos has always been more of a "sweeper" - besides, assuming we continue to average around 60% possession, they shouldn't have TOO many opportunities to get in behind and if they do, I imagine they'll try to attack down the wings.

Yeah, him and Koscielny could form a good partnership so you should be alright against Swansea, but won't it be Mertesacker and Vermaelen when he comes back, who are both very similar players. Also I can't see you having 60% possession against Swansea, they keep the ball very well.

Yeah, him and Koscielny could form a good partnership so you should be alright against Swansea, but won't it be Mertesacker and Vermaelen when he comes back, who are both very similar players. Also I can't see you having 60% possession against Swansea, they keep the ball very well.

So do Blackpool, we had almost 60% possession against them at home, and away last season.

And I doubt it - at least I hope not. It should be Vermaelen and Kos.

So do Blackpool, we had almost 60% possession against them at home, and away last season.

Blackpool don't do it as well as Swansea do though in my opinion. Swansea have the second highest percentage of possession at 61%, only beaten by Chelsea.

Blackpool played good football, but didn't keep the ball as well as Swansea do. They've been brought up with that philosophy from when Martinez was there.

Fair enough you two. Either way - I don't think they'll have too many chances to get the ball in behind; and we had the best defensive record from open play last season.

I don't think it will be easy at all (I do think it's dangerous to think a game will be easy - it never is at this level), but I do have faith in our new defence.

Considering the amount of possession they have, Swansea arent particularly good at getting the through balls to get the players in behind and through the middle. They tend to work the ball well out to the flanks with lots of shorts passing, then direct balls and crossing. Its the full backs, rather than Mertresacker, who will be tested for pace

Last edited:
Considering the amount of possession they have, Swansea arent particularly god at getting the through balls to get the players i behind and through the middle. They tend to work the ball well out to the flanks with lots of shorts passing, then direct balls and crossing. Its the full backs, rather than Mertresacker, who will be tested for pace

And they've got plenty of that ;)

It's a tricky one at LB tomorrow... I think Gibbs will be first choice for the most part this season purely because he deserves a chance and one of the reasons Wenger sold Clichy was to give Gibbs a chance.. Obviously it's difficult because Santos is 27, a Brazilian international and a new signing but I think he'll need time to settle in anyway.

I get the feeling Santos will start tomorrow, though - Gibbs has only just come back from injury and it's always a risk playing him then.

And they've got plenty of that ;)

It's a tricky one at LB tomorrow... I think Gibbs will be first choice for the most part this season purely because he deserves a chance and one of the reasons Wenger sold Clichy was to give Gibbs a chance.. Obviously it's difficult because Santos is 27, a Brazilian international and a new signing but I think he'll need time to settle in anyway.

I get the feeling Santos will start tomorrow, though - Gibbs has only just come back from injury and it's always a risk playing him then.

Bit of a Baptism of fire for him, since Swansea favour their right flank in attack

Isn't it the norm for an Arsenal player to have a 'mare on his debut?

Back