VictorWanyama

Reaction score
For as long as I can remember, I've had trouble winning away from home on FM, regardless of the team I'm using. I've recently started a save with Leicester and I find myself in a respectable 7th position, almost entirely due to my form at home, where my team are used to dominating their opponents. I use the following tactic and instructions when playing at home, a run of the mill short-passing, possession focused set-up and I'm pretty happy with it.

View attachment 192323

View attachment 192321

However, when playing away from home I struggle massively, and after my recent 5-2 defeat on a cold Saturday afternoon at Stoke, I need a bit of help.
I've experimented with dropping the AMC to DM, with Gokhan Inler usually stepping into this role, trying him as a Regista, a DM (S/D) and a DLP (D), with no success. I also usually tell my team to drop deeper, play a bit more mixed passing and pass into space a bit more, but to be honest I'm really not sure why, I'm hopeless with away tactics and have never really understood how differently the team should behave.
If anyone has any advice for how I could set up my team away from home, or even just point me in the direction of any useful reading material on the matter, I would greatly appreciate it. I understand that playing as Leicester, I shouldn't be expecting stellar performances away from home (not on FM anyway) but I ask in case there's a fundamental misunderstanding here.

Cheers in advance for any help you can give me, folks! :D

So you use an Attacking mentality against every other team in the league, a lot of them better than what you are, at their home ground where they'll be more adventurous/attacking?

So you use an Attacking mentality against every other team in the league, a lot of them better than what you are, at their home ground where they'll be more adventurous/attacking?

Oops, apologies, forgot to mention that if, like you said, the opposing team is better than me I'll change the mentality to counter, sometimes control if the team aren't THAT much better. But doing so usually just results in my team having very little involvement in the game outside of simply defending attacks against me, without having many attacks of my own.
I understand that away from home it's expected that you'll have fewer shots and less possession but my team just seem incapable of putting anything together at all!

Oops, apologies, forgot to mention that if, like you said, the opposing team is better than me I'll change the mentality to counter, sometimes control if the team aren't THAT much better. But doing so usually just results in my team having very little involvement in the game outside of simply defending attacks against me, without having many attacks of my own.
I understand that away from home it's expected that you'll have fewer shots and less possession but my team just seem incapable of putting anything together at all!
So you just simply change mentality and that's it? Have you looked to see why you aren't keeping possession?

I'm playing with Wolves at the moment, 39 games in only lost 4 times, I switch between 3 tactics/formations depending on what the opposition formation is. If they are playing a 4-4-2 I play a 3-4-3, matches up in midfield and have a spare man in defence against there two strikers. If they are playing any formation with one up front I change to a 4-2-3-1 again extra man in defence. If I have came up against a 3-5-2 I have went just standard 4-4-2 and exploited the wings as again extra man playing wide get a 2 on 1 on the wings. Working wonders in the Championship, maybe worth a shot away from home.