Less wine, more footie - A Girondins de Bordeaux story

Djocker

Reaction score

Introduction

After many careers in the BPL, some in Liga BBVA and a couple in Serie A and Bundesliga, I decided I wanted a new challenge. I laid my eyes on the French Ligue 1. Being an Arsenal fan, I remembered that Chamakh wasn't always a steaming pile of mediocrity; he was actually really good at Bordeaux, making me wonder what sort of black magic(or drugs?) the club used.

So there it was! My new team, ready to be led to glory. But who could do it? Who would be that aspiring manager to make a city more known for it's wine a footballing capital? Well, we'll have to wait and see. Hint, hint: It's an Arsenal legend that just started his career as an assistant manager.

History

The Club

View attachment 366041

The club took its name Girondins from a group of French revolutionaries from the region, and was founded on 1 October 1881 as a gymnastics and shooting club. The club, chaired by André Chavois, later added sports such as rowing, equestrian, and swimming, among others. It was not until 1910 when football was officially introduced to the club following strong urging from several members within the club, most notably club president Raymond Brard, though it was only available on a trial basis. Bordeaux achieved professional status in football on 2 July 1936.

Honours

• Ligue 1: 1949/50, 1983/84, 1984/85, 1986/87, 1988/89, 2008/09.
  • Coupe de France: 1941, 1986, 1987, 2013.
  • Coupe de la Ligue: 2002, 2007, 2009.
  • Tophée des champions: 1986, 2008, 2009.

Until 2001, the stadium's name was the Stade du Parc Lescure. That year it was renamed after politician Jacques Chaban-Delmas, who was the mayor of Bordeaux from 1947 to 1995. The current seating capacity of the stadium is 34,462, following a series of expansions of the stands, in particular for the 1998 FIFA World Cup.

Last edited:
Any feedback would be nice. :D Also, could you guys help me? How to I indent just the first row of a paragraph? oO)

July

Manager

View attachment 366534

After Francis Gillot left the club at the end of last season for medical reasons, it was time that the board made a decision regarding the Manager position. It was heavily rumored that Laurent Blanc would return to the club he led to glory, but in the end he chose PSG.

26th June 2013
Bordeaux president Jean-Louis Triaud arranged a press conference to announce the new Manager. The journalists were shocked when he came through the door. It was none other than Dennis Bergkamp, Ajax and Arsenal legend. The Dutchman was formerly Frank de Boer's assistant at Ajax, winning the Eredivisie, but had no experience as a head coach. Jean-Louis Triaud said 'The fans need to trust our decision. Dennis is the right man for the job. He will help us become a force in both Ligue 1 and Europe, I have no doubt about it. For the first year, we'll ask him to achieve a mid-table position in the League, reach the Second Knockout Round of the Europa League and get to the Final of either the Cup or League Cup'.

View attachment 366537

Transfers

IN

The Dutchman makes his intentions clear, signing 3 fairly young players, staying true to his country's philosophy.

Andre Castro

View attachment 366539

Fee: 600K
Club from: FC Porto
Position: MC/AMC

Stefan Strandberg

View attachment 366540

Fee: 1M
Club from: Rosenborg
Positions: DC, DM, CM

Pavel Kaderabek

View attachment 366541

Fee: 825K
Club from: Sparta Praha
Positions: MR, AMR

OUT

A few players left on loan, but Bergkamp was determined to offload some of the older members of the squad that couldn't fit in his tactics.
-Jussie, to OM, 4.5M
-Ben Khalfallah, to Le Mans, 100k
-Marange, to Standard, 1M

A classic 4-3-3 with fast tempo, short passes and many crosses to the striker, the specialty of the Dutch football school. Will it adapt to the French League? We'll have to wait and see.

Friendly Games

View attachment 366551
(didn't consider them too important, I'll have a better layout for official games)