insanity

Reaction score
I am working on a counter-attacking football and I need tips and advises how to make my counter-attacks deadly.
In the same time I need some tips in how to make so that you have a higher possession of the ball in a counter attack strategy. Is it possible a counter-attacking strategy to work with a very fluid philosophy?

As you can see the way I want my players to play is very counter-productive:
- Quick counter-attacks and a defensive approach
- Quicker or normal tempo to keep possession of the ball, but still delivering the ball quickly and stretching the defense of the opponents
- Very fluid philosophy with a lot of roaming - I intend to use 2 box 2 box mids in order to make it work and a inside forward, attacking fullback combination.
- The above combination would be good, but the box 2 box mids tend to take a lot of long shots and the inside forwards prefer to dribble the ball past their opponents and cut inside which results in lower possession from my experience.
- I have problems with the pressing and from where to start it? The first option is to start it deep on the own half with a deep D-line and the other is to press the whole pitch with a high D-line. However playing with a high D-line is very risky .

Looking forward for more tips from you guys...

Playing with a high d line isn't risky if you have an all round fast defence. As for the two box to box, change their sliders to rarely for long shots. I use something similar for Tottenham atm except I have one winger and one inside forward just to vary play and avoid your last problem.

My idea is to basically recreate the famous Roma 4-6-0. However even after watching their games in that period 2 times I just do not get it how they are counter-attacking but in the same time keeping possession over the ball and scoring a lot of goals. In game this is almost impossible. It seems that if you apply a counter-attacking strategy you score less goals and the possession of the ball especially against good teams is not that good. If you want to score more you need to change fluidity, tempo and pass distance, however in this way your team loses the ball to easy in the most cases. So I tough I will apply higher pressure and will get up my d-line as a solution, but these leads to more goals conceded, which brings me to the first point of scoring goals.

My defenders are fast 13-16 acceleration and pace, however Burdisso is still in my defence and he is a slow *** now. I guess I will need to look for a faster defender.

I tried the one flying winger and one inside forward combination, but then my game seems very random. Oh well, the whole strategy seems very random in general with this high fluidity and no forward.

Anyone able to help me out clean this mess?
There are tips in the Raikonens possession football thread, I need most help in the counter-attacking.