Andriko

Reaction score
I am rushden in the Championship in a very advanced year (9th season i think), and am getting very frustrated with a team that lets in really silly goals, for example, 30 yard screams, or a player 'walking' it in the net. At the same time my players can miss really easy chances, or keep taking stupid long shots (even though I have them on rarley for nearly all players).

Also, my strikers never take their time, they just shoot at first touch even if they have plenty of space :(

I have tried a variety of tactics, based on 442, but these problems keep recuring. Maybe my players are just useless?

ty!

I think I'll try lay this out on my opinion on the matter.

30 Yard Screams - All I can suggest, on opposition instructions you close down opposition players with high long shots (Even if it's low, look at their technique as well), also show them onto weaker foot. If wingers look to cut in and shoot, show them onto their outside foot, so they can't cut in and shoot. Plus, maybe it's your goalkeeper.

'Walking' it in the net - Your players obviously arn't getting close to the opposition striker, maybe set your defenders marking to man marking. This way they keep close to the opposition strikers, which means when they get the ball they wont have much room. Obviously man marking and zonal marking have their flaws, so maybe one central defender man marks (I'd make sure they man mark the strong striker) and the other zonal marks. Could work for you. Oh one more thing, your full backs should also be on man-mark, I find it a neccesity. Also, with your 4-4-2. Make sure you have a defensive minded midfielder, rare forward runs, closing down should be a high and hold up ball to retain possesion (Must have high strength).

Missing really easy chances - Well, if this is like 6 yards out (Robbie Keane at Liverpool). Use the right motivation techniques, keep morale high. Although I would look at your strikers Finishing, Composure, Concentration and Technique.

Taking stupid long shots - Obviously this will have to do with the players mentality. When the striker receives the ball, how far/close is the other attacking players to him? Your player probably has no one near him, and with this high mentality, he just shoots. So I'd try a number of things, lower the players mentality and put the strikers passing at mixed, then you can tweak the passing to the range of where the other team members will be. So when your striker receives the ball, pause the game and take a look. You'll figure it out.

Strikers not taking time - Obviously linked to above. But, if they have plenty of space, tick 'Hold up ball' and 'Run with ball' often. So then they can wait for their team mates to catch up and then the striker can get them involved in the attack.

Tactics - You said you've tried a variety of tactics. Here is my advise, stick to one tactic from now on and just tweak it. Read up on FM Base's Tactical Theorems on the Download Pages.

Players useless? - Maybe, just try and improve the squad as you go along. Get your tactics right first.

Hope i've helped.

Alright Brian Gabriel as in Carson? Its Lem if your wondering.

If strikers are walking past your defenders its a sign of a inferior team your putting out. You can either fight hard until end of season and introduce new faces or rotate with your current squad look to your reserves I found David Nardiello in reserves and become my top goal scorer for Blackpool in League 1

Just to add to BrianGabriel's excellent advice:

Conceding 30 yard screamers could be a sign that your pressing is too low too. You can't give time and space to any midfielder - the difference between Gerrard and Joe Bloggs of Bognor is that Gerrard can hit 30 yard screamers with little to no time to set himself. Joe Bloggs just needs longer to compose himself but he can still score them. If it's cross/shots which are going in, check your keeper's aerial ability and positioning ratings. If they're low, that's why he's not getting them - two options then - close down the opposition's wingers and fullbacks or get a new keeper.

Taking stupid long shots/not taking time to compose themselves before shooting could mean that your tempo is too high and your time wasting too low. Give your players a bit more time on the ball so that they'll spot the pass rather than take a shot. Another issue is creative freedom - if the player doesn't have enough then he's not going to try to **** the ball over the centreback for the striker - he's going to see no option but either lose possession or to shoot.

Since its abit of advice session I seem to concede far too many corners and the main cause of me coneding goals any tips.

I leave corner settings on default and rarely concede. Have a look at the heading and jumping and height of your players - if they're being dwarfed then that might be the reason.

On defending corners, I keep 10 players back (Including goalkeeper of course). I have the full backs on the posts, central defenders marking the tall players, with my DM marking the small one. Everyone else back will either be close down or just 'back'. This leaves me with one player up front, if it luckily falls for him. As teams normally have just two defenders back on corners.

thanks for the help brian gabriel! I had been slowly implementing most of your advice already, though i have never tried man marking for DL/R!!

I have slowed the tempo, shortened the passing and reduced the mentalaty a bit, and am now getting fewer shots, but most of them on target. Maybe it is just takling a bit longer for the teamn to get used to the tactics??

As for players, my rushden team has league 1 finances, my wage budget being 2.5mill a year, and considering some players alone get paid that in the championship, I am going to have to hustle :/

Thanks again!