dani3w

Reaction score
ytrUYRm.jpg

7Xt4jvs.jpg

Michael Owen retires: Striker to stop playing at end of season

19 March 2013
Last Updated 16:22
NmTmK8j.png

Former England striker and current Stoke City man Michael Owen has announced he will retired at the end of the football season aged thirty three following a recent string of injuries.

Owen, who scored forty goals in eighty nine international fixtures for England has played for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle and is currently at Stoke. But this will be the final stop in his injury plagued footballing career he announced earlier this afternoon.

He said: "It is with an immense amount of pride that I am announcing my intention to retire."

The Football Association has opened talks with Owen about a possible ambassadorial role with England.
Owen added: "I have been very fortunate in that my career has taken me on a journey I could only have dreamed of."

He burst on to the scene as a teenager at Liverpool and made England's 1998 World Cup squad aged only 18. He announced himself on the world stage with a memorable solo goal against Argentina in that tournament and scored a hat-trick as England beat Germany 5-1 in Munich in September 2001.

Owen joined Stoke City at the start of the season and has scored one goal in seven appearances.

Injuries took their toll. Owen suffered a broken metatarsal in December 2005. Despite returning to fitness in time for the 2006 World Cup, he damaged the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in the first minute of the group match against Sweden, and was out of action for almost a year.

Owen played fewer than 10 more times for his country after that tournament, with his last appearance for England coming against France in 2008.After four injury-blighted years at St James' Park, in which he still managed to score 30 goals in 79 appearances, the club were relegated from the Premier League. He later signed for Manchester United on a free transfer in 2009.

Owen initially impressed at Old Trafford, scoring the injury-time winner in the dramatic4-3 derby victory over Manchester City with the match since being voted the best in Premier League history.

He signed an extension to his original contract after winning the Premier League title in 2010-11 and was an unused substitute in United's Champions League final defeat by Barcelona that year.

But his injury problems resurfaced, limiting his first-team chances and leading to his release from the club and subsequent move to Stoke.

vjTqBNx.png

Also related to this story

Michael Owen on a 'frustrating' season 17 Feb 2013 FOOTBALL
aoDsXgB.png
Owen's memorable England goals 05 Sep 2012 ENGLAND
aoDsXgB.png
Watch video Michael Owen's 1998 wonder goal 30 Mar 2009 FOOTBALL

ATLH2za.png

Last edited:
ytrUYRm.jpg

OrdfRGu.png

Owen: Lack of opportunities forced retirement Decision

21 March 2013
Last Updated 11:57
NmTmK8j.png

Following announcing his retirement from the game just a few days ago, Michael Owen has announced it was the lack of opportunities and game time that forced his hand at announcing his retirement at the age of thirty three.

The thirty three year old joined Premier League side Stoke City at the start of the 2012/2013 season but has failed to hold down a regular place in the team. Owen has only managed seven starts this season scoring just one goal.

"Many people will blame it on my fitness, but it isn't that" he wrote on his blog. "Its either Tony's decision and opinion that he may feel I am not good enough or the fact that I don't fit into the club, whatever it is, its brought me to this decision."

However Owen did say "I have a lot of respect for Tony and know his decision would of been the best for the team, he is a superb manager."

The forward began his career at Liverpool and averaged more than a goal every other game for the Anfield club before joining Real Madrid aged 24 in 2004.

Owen, who scored 40 goals in 89 internationals for England, also played for Newcastle and Manchester United before joining Stoke.

"Considering retirement was a gradual process but I had come to the decision before Christmas that this would be my final season in professional football although that wasn't quite the plan at the outset," he added.

"I had signed for Stoke with every intention of playing more football than I had in recent seasons.

"Looking at it realistically, things are unlikely to change in the remaining weeks of the season. And having played so little in recent years, the chances of me continuing to play at the top level look remote.

"There have been a number of offers to continue playing outside of the Premier League including several from abroad.

Owen to retire at end of season 19 Mar 2013 FOOTBALL
aoDsXgB.png
aoDsXgB.png

ATLH2za.png

Last edited:
J5HhJZa.png

Stoke City relegated from Premier League!

8CrJQol.png

18th May 2013

In a dramatic final day twist Stoke City have lost their Premier League status following their two all draw with Liverpool after being two goals ahead.

Stoke City started the afternoon one position outside the relegation zone by goal difference and with Southampton and QPR already relegated it was all focused on the last spot. Stoke City needed to better West Ham or Wigan's result to avoid the drop.

Stoke led after thirteen minutes through Peter Crouch before Gardner doubled their lead five minutes later and things looked safe for Stoke City.

However Liverpool's inform striker, Luis Suarez was on the ball to pull one back at Anfield before the break.

Second half Stoke had more pressure piled on them as Huth was dismissed for a dangerous tackle which inevitably led Liverpool on to attack.

Liverpool went on to grab a point just three minutes from time as Luis Suarez doubled his tally for the afternoon and it turned to West Ham and Wigan's games.

Wigan beat tenth place Newcastle two nil at the DW Stadium to climb out the relegation zone and send Stoke into it whilst West Ham grabbed a draw and finished seventeenth.

This condemned Stoke to Championship football next season whilst the security of Tony Pullis now seems uncertain following the relegation.

Its not the finish to the season and his playing career Michael Owen would have wished but there was little h could do about it as he spent his final appearance on the bench.

At the other end of the table there was a second title on the bounce for Manchester City who went on to finish twelve points clear of Manchester United in second and fourteen clear of third place Chelsea.

ytrUYRm.jpg

_66572051_mmowenonlineedit.png

Michael Owen: Stoke City striker open to management in future
21 March 2013
NmTmK8j.png

Michael Owen says he is open to moving into management or coaching when he retires from football.

The 33-year-old Stoke striker revealed on Tuesday that he will quit playing at the end of the current campaign.
Owen, who has played for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle and Manchester United, plans to continue with punditry work and will launch his own management company, but is still open to offers.

"I have not closed the door on management," Owen told Football Focus.

"I find it hard to say no to people. If someone offers you a good job, I'd think, 'I would love to do that'."

Owen says being unable to command a regular place at Stoke prompted his decision to retire at the end of the season. He has scored once in seven appearances for the Potters this term.

The former England international has been blighted by injury problems during his career, which began at the age of 17 with Liverpool.

Owen made 297 appearances during his time at Liverpool and was a regular starter for the Reds from 1997.

"I did not have a break for years and years," Owen said. "That is something I would advise young players now to guard against."

The ex-Manchester United forward believes he may have played too many games during his formative years as a professional and hinted he could have been able to prolong his career had he begun it at Old Trafford, where he might have played less frequently early on.

However, he insists he has no regrets about his choice of joining Liverpool, where he won the Uefa Cup, FA Cup and two League Cup.

Stoke City relegated on final day 18 Mar 2013 FOOTBALL
Owen to retire at end of season 19 Mar 2013 FOOTBALL
aoDsXgB.png
aoDsXgB.png
ATLH2za.png