rfcboy

Reaction score

Taking over as manager of Wigan, from Roberto Martinez, is unknown Scottish manager, Andrew Kerr. The reasons for this appointment are as yet unknown, but it seems that both Wigan fans, and football pundits alike, are bemused by such a decision. Kerr however states that he is happy to be at the club, and will do his best to help Wigan rise up the table.

Squad Review

A decent squad, which should be more than enough for me to escape relegation this season. However some bigger earners will be moved on in order for me to do my own transfers.

Pre Season, First Few Games (July 2012-August 2012) And Transfers

Pre Season Fixtures
SK Austria Klagenfurt
SV Austria Salzburg
Bath
Kilmarnock
Institute
Aldershot
Roma

I decided to let my assistant manager do these games for me, while I continued to look for new purchases for the side.
Results

Pre Season Friendly Analysis.
A mixed bag of results in truth. A few decent wins were equaled out with a few defeats. However these were generated by the assistant manager, who used his own tactics, and made his own substitutes for these games.

Transfers
While the assistant manager was taking the team for the preseason friendlies, I was both looking to sign new players, to improve the squad, as well as try and rid the squad of some dead weight, or sell on players who were considered first teamers, but could bring in funds for improving the squad.
Transfers In

Wellington Nem - Fluminese- £3.5Million
I beat off high competition for the Brazilian international, who at only 20 years old, has a long future in the game. A potential bargain for the price I paid for him, he can only get better and better. He will be a key player for me.

Jonos Okore - FC Nordsjaelland - £1.3 Million
Another young player, who I consider a bargain for the price I paid for him. Although only 19 years old, I feel comfortable throwing him into the deep end, as he has all the stats to cope with regular first team football at this level. Another key player in the making, I feel.

Charlie Austin - Burnley - £3.6 Million
After realising the need for another striker (I sold one, which you will read earlier), I decided that I needed to bring in a homegrown player, as it was evident the squad never contained enough of them. Austin is doing great in real life, so decided to take the gamble to see if he can replicate this form in the game. A potential key player for the side.

Rhys Williams - Middlesbrough - £6Million
Deciding to bolster my midfield, I splashed out a fair chunk of my budget on Williams, who was transfer listed at the time. Instead of try and haggle the price down, I put in the asking price, as the likes of Fulham and Aston Villa were also chasing him. He'll be utilised alongside James McCarthy in the centre of midfield, but he can also play at centre back, if needs must.

Kiko Femenia - Barcelona - Loan
&

Carles Planas - Barcelona (B) - £300k
I noticed these two players in the Barcelona B side, and both were transfer listed. Due to splashing out on Williams, Austin and co, I could only afford to bring one in on a permanent deal, with the other on loan, with a view to purchasing him permanently at the seasons end. Both will provide back-up/rotation options on the flanks for this season.

Stefan Maierhofer - Red Bull Salzburg - Season Loan
Brought in on the last day of the transfer window on loan, as I was suffering a striker shortage. He will provide a back up option for the season. His height will provide a different option up front, as a targetman.

Transfers Out

Mauro Boselli - Fulham - £5 Million
A decent fee I feel, although could have perhaps held out for a little more. The fee received for him, covered the money spent for Nem and Okore, which I feel is a good deal for both parties.

David Jones - Reading - £3.1 Million
Wasn't really going to be a major part of my plans for the season. Instead of keeping him on the bench, I sold him, which in turn, helped in the pursuit of other transfers into the club.

Callum McManaman - Rangers - Season Loan
Sent out on loan to Rangers for a season to gain regular first team football. I'll be looking to integrate him into the side at the end of his loan.

Roman Golobart - Swindon - Season Loan
Someone who was going to see limited action at the club this season. Instead of hampering his progress, I sent him on loan for regular first team football. Will be looking to give him more games when he returns, if he impresses.

Lee Nicholls - Coventry - Loan
The 3rd choice keeper was sent on loan in order to get more development in the lower leagues. He can be recalled if there is a need to, however.

Fraser Fyvie - Rangers - Loan
Another player sent out on loan for first team football at Rangers, he should develop well with the regular football he should be getting in the 3rd Division, and facilities on offer. He'll be back in the first team next season, however.

Piscu - Coventry - Loan
Someone who was out of favour, and we had tried to offload with no avail throughout the transfer window. Eventually an offer came in for him, which we accepted to free up a squad space, as well as some extra wages. Hopefully will be offloaded permanently at the end of the season.

Albert Crusat - Crystal Palace - Loan
Another I was looking to offload, due to an overload of players in the position that he fills. He left on loan on the final day of the transfer window.

August Fixtures
Manchester City - Premier Division (H)
Barnet - Capital One Cup (Away)

An expected defeat, despite being at home, due to the quality packed in our opponents side. However, it was closer than expected.

A good win, away from home, in order to progress into the next round of the cup.

Player Of The Month - James McCarthy

Two impressive performances in the middle of the park for the young Irish international.

Last edited:
Looks good so far, could you post a screen shoot of the tactics you're using, just curious thanks

September 2012

View attachment 313042

Preview:

Now that the transfer window had closed, it was now time to focus solely on the management of the team. September will be a busy, hectic month, based on the fact there is 5 domestic games, as well as an international break this month. This could prove to be a challenging few weeks already in our season.

Opponents This Month:
Swansea (Home) - Premier League
Norwich (Home) - Premier League
Q.P.R (Away) - Premier League
Fleetwood (Home) - Capital One Cup
Aston Villa (Away) - Premier League

Overall, a tough set of opponents, but games I expect to be a close fought encounter. Hopefully progression in the cup can be made as well, to meet an objective set by the board.

Results

Swansea

View attachment 313049

A good win, against tough opposition. A good way to start the month, and a clean sheet to boot, which is always welcomed.

Norwich

View attachment 313048

A solid draw, with very little to split the sides. A welcomed point.

Q.P.R.

View attachment 313047

A good point won, away from home. Again not much really seperating the two sides throughout this match, so a draw was probably the best outcome for both teams.

Fleetwood

View attachment 313046

Not the best performance ever, but a win's a win, and it ensures progression in the cup, if nothing else.
Aston Villa

View attachment 313045

Another game, another draw. A tad concerned that the lead was lost, not once but twice, although we were up against a strong Villa line up.

Review:

A solid month, in which we were undefeated, which did surprise me to a degree, as I thought we would have lost at least one game. However all in all, a solid month, and hopefully it can be carried on into next month.

Player of the month

Rhys William.

rhys%20williams_633571672060781250.jpg

For his two goals which helped to gain us points in our quest to avoid the drop, Williams has this award from myself.

Premier League Young Player Of The Month

250020893.jpg

Jones Okore

Okore was awarded this award, for the month of September, for his solid performances throughout the month. Hopefully he can continue them.​

1) Never leave the assman deal with friendlies. You should never play the last friendly against a better opponent as losing/not winning can impact on your morale for the next match! You should start by playing a couple of much weaker sides then have matches against better opponents leaving the last two friendlies against a lower reputation and very low reputation respectively. Of course you should try to whup their ***** so that everything will work.

2) Glad you spotted Planas. He's a steal at lb. Look at Drage at lw as well and note the trick to buy him v cheaply in here (where there's more players commented upon etc): http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2013-discussion/109333-manumads-box-sweets.html

3) Will be following.

Good to see another Wigan story, should be interesting to compare. Will be following.

October 2012

View attachment 313365

Month Preview:

Hopefully looking to continue the unbeaten run we are currently on. Hopefully we can turn a few of these draws into wins, and tighten up defensively. Another international break this month, combined with the domestic games could stretch the squad further.

Opponents This Month

Arsenal (Home) - Premier League
Everton (Away) - Premier League
Manchester United (Away) - Premier League
Queens Park Rangers (Home) - Capital One Cup 4th Round

Overall, the league fixtures are a tough trio, with all these teams currently occupying positions in the top 6 of the table just now. Any points against them will really be a bonus, with a win against QPR a must in order to ensure cup progression.

Results

Arsenal

View attachment 313367

As expected, we came away from the game with no points, but the side can be pleased with their performance against one of the better sides. The two injuries, however, could be vital in the outcome of our season already.

Everton

View attachment 313371

A solid point away from home, against a team who at the time was in the top position in the league. A fantastic defensive performance ensured that we escaped Goodison Park with something.

Manchester United

View attachment 313373

Totally outclassed today, with 3 goals, and a superb performance all round from Uniteds summer signing being the major factor. The missed penalty would have been no more than a consolation, if it had went in.

Queens Park Rangers

View attachment 313374

A good bounce back, from the disappointment from the game against United. A good win, and a clean sheet to boot, plus progression in the cup is always a good thing.

October Monthly Review

As expected, we didn't come away with too much from the games against the bigger sides. We were generally outplayed, and outclassed, and shows the gulf between us currently. However some positives can be taken, such as the victory against QPR, and a couple of the defensive displays.

Wigan Player Of The Month

Jones Okore

250020893.jpg

A well deserved award I feel as he consistently put in good performances this month, even with the couple of defeats, continuing his good form from the previous month. The league also agrees, as they have named him as the 2nd best player this month, to go along with his award for September. For only £1.3 Million, he is already proving to be a bargain.​

Last edited:
November 2012

View attachment 313375

Month Preview

Hopefully the result can kick us on, and spur on some good league form, and help us get over the heavy defeat away to Manchester United.

Opponents This Month

Fulham (Home) - Premier League
Sunderland (Home) - Premier League
Reading (Away) - Premier League
West Ham (Away) - Premier League
Stoke (Home) - Premier League

Overall, a set of games in which there should be a decent amount of points available. With no cup distraction this month, the league can be solely focused upon.

Months Results

Fulham

View attachment 313380

A good solid win, with a clean sheet to boot. Nice to see Ramis get his first for the club as well.

Sunderland

View attachment 313382

Another good win. Nice to see the goals flowing as well, after a rather barren league spell with only a couple goals. Austin also scored his first for the club in this match.

Reading

View attachment 313385

Another good victory, we came flying out the traps and had the game won by half time. After half time no real incidents of note happened as we closed the game out.

West Ham

View attachment 313387

A fantastic victory away from home to tough opposition. To win by 3 goals at Upton Park, and not concede, is a great achievement. A good performance by everyone in the team, if they keep up this form, then my choice for player of the month will be a difficult one.

Stoke

View attachment 313388

Another victory, against another tough outfit. Three goals, and a clean sheet is something to be pleased about. Something not to be pleased about is the fact there was 9 yellow cards in total in this game, 3 for ourselves. Hopefully its just a one off.

Monthly Review

Wow, what a month. To go on a winning streak like that is amazing, and pretty unheard of for an unfashionable side, such as ourselves. An added bonus is that we started scoring plenty of goals as well, as well as being tight at the back, like we have been all season long. The best month so far.

Player Of The Month

View attachment 313393

The entire squad. After that month, no particular player could be singled out for praise, when each and every one of them had done their bit.

Premier League Young Player Of The Month

View attachment 313394

A clean sweep this month, for 3 of our younger players. All 3 have performed admirably this season, and their values have rocketed. I should certainly consider making Femenia's loan deal permanent, if I get any extra funds for the winter transfer window.