greggerweezy

Reaction score
2zgulww.png

Nigel Clough Sacked
Nigel-Clough.jpg
Nigel Clough has been sacked by the Derby County board this week after the team’s poor performance in the npower Championship, a sequence of results that have resulted in them sitting in 19th place with 16 points from 14 matches.

In a press conference, Derby chairman Tom Glick stated that the club was underachieving under boss Clough, and that they will be taking action to seek out a manager he and director Andy Appleby believe will be able to take the club forward in the future.

Following Clough’s departure, a number of backroom staff members have also left the club by mutual termination of their contracts, including youth coaches Michael Forsyth, Darren Wassall, and Lee Glover.

Doncaster Rovers manager Sean O’Driscoll has come out in the media recently by declaring he wants the vacant Derby post, and is believed to be one of the favourites to take the seat. Tom Glick has stated recently that the club is in no rush to appoint a new manager as they take extensive looks toward the managers available to them.

1z315lg.png

Derby Appoint New Boss
signing_contract_v2.jpg
A press conference was held at Pride Park today as Derby County unveiled their new manager following the recent sacking of Nigel Clough. Chairman Tom Glick and director Andy Appleby were on hand to announce their new head coach, former Everton man Gregg Venables.

“This truly is a proud moment for me, as I had been looking to make the jump from coaching into management for a while now,” Venables said as he was introduced to the media. “The club is in a bit of bother right now and I will be doing my best to bring them to safety in the league and build for success in the near future.”

It was revealed that Venables had signed a contract that sees him stay as Derby manager until at least 2013. Everton have been paid an undisclosed sum as a result of the transfer of Venables from the club he began and finished his career with.​
“Everton was great to me,” Venables went on to say. “They’ve helped me every step of the way in my career, from being a player, into my retirement and helping me get my coaching badges. I’ve got nothing but good things to say about that club and I am going to miss it.​
“This is a new challenge to me, being my first club that I get to manage. The reserve league was the biggest test that I was getting back in Merseyside, and this is a good change and I am fully confident in my abilities to bring success to Pride Park.”​
Venables began his career as a youth trainee at Everton before being moved into the reserves and then a successful jump into the first team. Making his first team debut in the 1994/95 season at the age of 19, he went on to make 340 appearances for Everton in what was an injury hampered career. At the age of 30, at the end of the 2005/06 season, Venables was forced to retire following a reoccurring knee injury that bothered his whole career.​
After retirement on the pitch, Venables then succeeded in getting his coaching badges while staying on after retirement in the backroom staff at Everton, where he learned the coaching side of the game from current manager David Moyes.​

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:53 PM ----------

1z315lg.png

Moyes Tips Venables for Success

moyes450.jpg

Everton boss David Moyes has praised the Derby board for appointing former Everton coach Gregg Venables as their new manager this past week.

Venables, 35, left the club where he spent his entire playing career and where he received his coaching badges this week to take the vacant seat at Pride Park. David Moyes has said that the appointment of Venables, who’s managerial experience consists of just reserve league action, was a wise one that will fare well for the team in the long run.

"Gregg was a great player, always wanting to learn even after I came to Everton and he was already in the first team," Moyes said. "It was unfortunate the way he had to end his playing career but I was glad to see him stay on and learn the coaching side of the game with us. He’s very motivating, especially with the youngsters here because of the way he broke into the first team.​

"He’s definitely got his work cut out for him at Derby, with them facing relegation, but I would hope he is confident of turning things around at the club. It was just a matter of time before someone took him on for a managerial job. He’s done wonders with our reserves in the last couple of seasons so it will be good to see his work go into an entire squad at Derby."​

Venables’ appointment at Pride Park came one week after former manager Nigel Clough had been sacked following the team’s poor show in the npower Championship. As their new manager takes the job, the task at hand is avoiding relegation, as the Rams are in 19th place in the league, with no margin for error.​

2zgulww.png

Venables’ Managerial Debut Ends in Eight Goal Thriller

vNottinghamForest4-4.png

Derby boss Gregg Venables embarked on his first match as manager this past weekend when his side travelled to Nottingham Forest.

On-loan Spanish striker Alberto Bueno got Derby off to a flyer by scoring the fastest goal in the Championship this season after just 15 seconds. The lead was short lived however, as Derby’s poor defending came out again when Marcus Tudgay equalized for the home team on 18 minutes. A mere four minutes later it was Luke Chambers who gave Forest the lead, before Marcus Tudgay again popped up on the 35 minute mark, giving the home side a 3 – 1 advantage going into halftime.

Coming out into the second half, Derby looked a different side than the one that had shipped three goals in the first half, evident when Alberto Bueno gave the Rams a glimmer of hope with a well taken goal. Fifteen minutes later, the hat-trick was sealed for Bueno when he equalized for the visitors. American striker Robbie Findley then thought he had won the game for Forest when he put the ball past Stephen Bywater in the 80th minute, only for his goal to be cancelled out two minutes into injury time by Man of the Match winner Alberto Bueno, salvaging a valuable point for the relegation battlers.

Nice work mate! Derby is a nice club, and I wish you could luck with it. You are going to have to work a bit, not to get relegated I guess! Hope you take I look at my story, but I will be following yours for sure!

2zgulww.png

Solano Cancels Venables’ First Win

vHull2-2.png

Derby boss Gregg Venables continues to hunt for a first win after drawing at home with Hull this past weekend.

The two teams seemed quite even in the first half and it was Derby who took the lead when David Edwards’ shot was deflected and turned past the keeper off of on-loan midfielder Corry Evans. Ten minutes later and in-form striker Alberto Bueno gave the home side a two goal advantage. Another ten minutes after that and Hull were right back into the game when Anthony Gerrard got his head to a well worked corner, leaving the score at 2 – 1 to Derby at halftime.

In the second half the two teams were again evenly matched, with shots and saves coming at both ends of the pitch. Unfortunately for Derby, another corner cost them the match in the 76th minute when Nolberto Solano climbed above the Derby defence two level it with fifteen minutes to play. After that, neither side could work the ball into the net, finishing the match with a point a piece.

npowerpage.png

Poor Derby Leads to Defeat

vPortsmouth0-1.png

Gregg Venables experienced his first taste of defeat as Derby boss as they played out to a home loss at the hands of recently relegated Portsmouth in midweek.

Derby played host to Portsmouth on Tuesday night with new Rams boss Venables still trying to find his first three points after two draws in succession prior to the visit of Portsmouth. The Rams fans are sure to be feeling disappointed with their side’s performance, especially after Liam Lawrence was able to surge through the defence and score a thunderous drive to give Pompey the lead on 36 minutes.

The second half definitely saw an improvement in the home side as they sought to draw level on numerous occasions, with on-loan winger Jamie Ward coming closest to finding a goal, only to see his shot bounce off the post and out. Needless to say the performance was certainly below par for Derby manager Gregg Venables, and his side are still chasing a win with their new boss.