Life on the Railway - A Crewe Alexandra Story

Reaction score
images

BREAKING NEWS!!

The Crewe Alexandra hierarchy have reportedly hired Elijah Adekugbe, an unknown to many outside the Chesire area, as manager of Crewe after Steve Davis stepped down due to family reason. Adekugbe is believed to have been recommended by Crewe legend Dario Gradi after coaching the u18s. This is what Adekugbe had to say...

"I'm pleased to be here, and would like to thank John for giving me the chance to be manager. I'm very pleased with the structure of this club, and I like the emphasis on youth. I hope to be able to emulate Dario and have along and successful career here, obviously replacing Steve won't be easy, as he's just gained promotion but I hope the Crewe faithful can grow to love me for many years."

Squad:
View attachment 303085View attachment 303087

As you can see there's only 15 Players in the First Team and 8 in the reserves! Will need to find depth ASAP!!

Preseason, Transfers and more to follow in the next post! :)

Pre-season

View attachment 303102

Transfers

My transfer budget was 200K, and my wage budget was 22.7K. With only 15 first teamers, some wheeling and dealing was needed.

IN:
My scout recommended a young RB from Celtic u19s who I signed for 9k and will slot right into the starting 11, I also bought Bolton's reserve keeper to fight with Alan Martin for the #1 spot, my other backup was 36 so I'm hapy with the signing. Next after scouting the England Trials Game I got a center back named Daniel Devine who didn't look to bad, then in came Josh Falkingham from Dunfermline to give me more options in the middle of the park. Also got Marnick Vermijl on loan from United and Paul Digby on loan from Barnsely, both add depth and are quality.

Out:
Only players leaving were a couple youngsters out on loan from the reserves.

View attachment 303093

Here's Screenies of all the new boys
View attachment 303094View attachment 303095View attachment 303096View attachment 303097View attachment 303098View attachment 303099

Fixtures

Crewe 1-1 Morecambe

Leitch-Smith

Took the lead early on then they equlalised, pretty fair game, wasn't too bothered as it was the first game learning the new tactic

Crewe 0-4 Stoke

A tail of 2 halves, first half we held our own even had some chances, next half the score 4!

Crewe 0-2 Newcastle Reserves

Made some changes to my tactic wasn't too surprised, disappointed we couldn't score though.

Crewe 1-1 Bolton

Clayton

Not a bad game had our chances so did they, score was the way the game was even.

Crewe 3-0 Congleton

Clayton, Devine, Mellor

Wasn't surprised as it was no name opposition. Coasted through this game

View attachment 303100

Team

View attachment 303101
This will be my preffered starting 11 with Falkingham switching with Fisher, Fisher is a natural right back but is good in midfield as well. Max Clayton is the star of this side, we'll need him to be on form if we want to do well.

Pre-Season Review

I was happy with the signings we brought in, gives us more depth and balance to our side. First couple of friendlies
didn't go great but the Bolton game signaled a change and I'm confident of a good start to League 1.

P.S we drew Nottingham Forrest at their ground in the first Round of the Capital One Cup. Don't like that draw.​

Wow that's a small squad for the league! Are you aiming for promotion in first season?

This will be interesting. Looking forward to it.
I'd suggest holding on to Clayton, he was impressive in my save playing as Blackburn. Snatched him up cheaply, rose and became a first team regular.
Good luck :)

This will be interesting. Looking forward to it.
I'd suggest holding on to Clayton, he was impressive in my save playing as Blackburn. Snatched him up cheaply, rose and became a first team regular.
Good luck :)

Thanks m8, can't quite get him scoring tho yet :(

Be interested in this one, the squad is tiny, players get tired and injured a lot, I had to get alot of loans but there's some decent ones out there, Andre wisdom was one of em.
I started well but quickly fell down the table, was Probably using the wrong approach as after the half way stage I started using counter and results improved, gave up in the end.....might load it up now.
Good luck!

Be interested in this one, the squad is tiny, players get tired and injured a lot, I had to get alot of loans but there's some decent ones out there, Andre wisdom was one of em.
I started well but quickly fell down the table, was Probably using the wrong approach as after the half way stage I started using counter and results improved, gave up in the end.....might load it up now.
Good luck!
Thanks m8 might have to change my approach as well as results havent been great, Clayton has been poor aswell!

I started using him on the wing, mainly left wing.
Not saying that will work for you tho.
It's ****** hard the team is really weak past the 1st 11, I went on a run of about 6-8 games losing and drawing, fell to 23rd, when I changed approach I won bout 5 in a row, think I was 15th when I gave up.

I started using him on the wing, mainly left wing.
Not saying that will work for you tho.
It's ****** hard the team is really weak past the 1st 11, I went on a run of about 6-8 games losing and drawing, fell to 23rd, when I changed approach I won bout 5 in a row, think I was 15th when I gave up.
I'll be updating soon to let you know how I'm getting on

August - September

View attachment 303161

Monthly Review

• Dismal start to life at Crewe.
  • Knocked out of 2 cups at the first time of asking.
  • Winless in the first 6
  • Max Clayton not scoring.
  • Will life become greener?

Fixtures

Capital One Cup

Nottingham Forrest 5-1 Crewe
West

We were dominated the whole time, didn't even have a shout. Pathetic

League

Bury 2-1 Crewe
Osman

Really disappointed here as I felt we should have won, Osman scored from about 57 yards however

Crewe 0-0 Tranmere

Don't know how we didn't score here, strikers aren't finishing, which is getting worrying

Colchester 3-2 Crewe
Pogba 2

Heartbreaking really, we went up 1-0 after 5 mins then at half we were down 2-1. Thought I'd stolen a point when Pogba scored his second in the 80min. Then in the dying emphasis of they game they score!

Crewe 0-1 Brentford

We scored for them. nuff said.

Colchester 3-2 Crewe
Pogba 2

Heartbreaking really, we went up 1-0 after 5 mins then at half we were down 2-1. Thought I'd stolen a point when Pogba scored his second in the 80min. Then in the dying emphasis of they game they score!

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Bury 1-1 Crewe
Pogba

Went out on penalties 4-1. I was fearing the worst when I looked at our pen takers and realized only one player had a pen stat over 10!

League

Portsmouth 4-3 Crewe
Leitch-Smith 2, Moore

What the ****!! Was up 3-2 then Piquionne scored 2 and brought us off our high horse, didn't help that Clayton and Pogba were off on International Duty

Crewe 0-1 Stevenage
Really showed how we were missing our 2 top strikers as we barely threatened, that being said Clayton still hasn't scored, and we are still winless in the league and in the drop-zone.

Doncaster 2-3 Crewe
Leicht-Smith, Falkingham, Digby

Finally! We are now up and running with our first win of the season! The score flattered them, nice to see Falkingham and Digby get their firsts off the season.

Crewe 3-2 MK Dons
Leicht-Smith 2, Pogba

Back to back wins was nice as it dramatically improved morale, Pogba scoring on his return from International duty as well.

Coventry 3-1 Crewe
Pogba

Went up 1-0 and we were in Dreamland, they then scored 3 unanswered. Never really expected to win this though as coventry are up there fighting for promotion.

Crewe 0-0 Carlisle

A bore draw. Claytons form very worrying however.

Player of the Month

View attachment 303162

Mathias Pogba, brother of yes, Paul Pogba. Scored in almost every game he played.

Table
View attachment 303165

quality, love a good crewe story, got a great youth setup.
also, looks like you have made some top transfers, with a bit of experience this season that young team should be a lot stronger in a year or so.
keep it up!

Monthly Review

• [*=center]4 wins out of 6 in the leage
    [*=center]Climb to 15th

[*=center]Drawn at home to Morecambe in the FA Cup

[*=center]Leitch-Smith in great goalscoring form

Fixtures

League

Shrewsbury 1-3 Crewe
Pogba 2, Vermijl

Great win from the team, with Vermijl getting his first. Stroll in the park

Crewe 2-0 Oldham
Murphy, Coady

This was when we were 23rd and Oldham were 24th so anything less than a win would not do!

Walsall 0-4 Crewe
Leitch-Smith 3, Falkingham

Great game!!! Happy to see Leicht-Smith score his hat trick, and Falkingham scoring a beaut of a free kick!

Crewe 0-1 Scunthorpe

They scored in the 91st min to win. But to be fair they outplayed us. Disappointed though as I thought this was an easily winnable game

Preston 1-2 Crewe
Leicht-Smith 2

2 first half goals then Preston dominated the rest of the game. Our backline was magnificent.

Swindon 3-1 Crewe
West

There in 1st, and showed us why.

Player of the Month

View attachment 303374

Leicht-Smith, scored a hattrick, 2nd leading scorer in the league.

Table
View attachment 303373

i started a Crewe story as i was born in Crewe and attend college there, i live in Market Drayton if you know of it? I am currently in my second season. 1st season finished mid-table which i was pleased with and now nearly half way through 2nd season and im in the play-off area.

Here is my current starting 11.

View attachment 303931

Hey guys.

I've kicked off a Crewe save as well, not an easy save with such a small fan base so really excited about it. I've just started my 2nd season, the 1st season went really well apart from a 13 game winless run in the league from November-Jan! Missed the playoffs by 5 points in the end in 10th place which I deemed pretty successful.

Dan, I also brought in Nimely on loan and Lainton in goal. I managed some good signings for my second season including Nathan Baker on loan from Villa and Bebe on loan from United. I really wanted to get Westwood back on loan as well but he went to Ipswich instead. I'm 3 games in to the 2nd season now and I've won 2 and drawn 1. Hopeful about reaching the playoffs this time around