DanWalsallFC

Reaction score
"Little Old Walsall"

View attachment 280835
When you mention football in the West Midlands the first clubs to pop into the minds of most football fans across the country are the likes of Aston Villa, Birmingham City, West Brom or Wolverhampton Wanderers. However there is another club, one with a completely different past to each of their West Midlands rivals. Whilst in the last few years the 'top 4' West Midlands clubs have competed in the top league, at the other end of the scale, Walsall Football Club have languished in the bottom two tiers of professional football.

During their time in the Championship in the 1999-2000 season fans thought this was it, the tables were turning. They beat their closest rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 and in the same season beat Birmingham City 1-0. In their next game, they beat West Bromwich Albion 1-0. The 'Saddlers' fans were excited and for the first time in a long time they felt like top dogs in the area. However in that same season they were relegated, with West Bromwich Albion surviving by three points.

Walsall were back in the Championship after one year away and stayed for three seasons until they were cruelly relegated on goal difference at the end of the 2003-2004 season. The dark days were once again back at the smaller club of the West Midlands. In the 2005-2006 season they finished rock bottom of League One and were relegated to the bottom league of professional football. From playing their nearest rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers just a few seasons ago, they were now to be travelling to their new nearest league rivals, Hereford United. Quite a change in such a small amount of time. Although Walsall did get an instant return to League One at the first time of asking, winning the title. They have remained in League One since but are looked at as one of the relegation candidates.
View attachment 280837

Of course, Walsall have had some success against local clubs in the past, beating Birmingham City 5-0 on a dark September night in the 1988-1989 season being a particular highlight for Walsall fans, as well as a League Cup Semi-Final for the club which saw them hold Liverpool to a 2-2 draw in the 1st leg at Anfield. in the 1983-1984 season which saw the club play against the likes of Rush, Grobbelaar, Hanson, Thompson and Lawrenson.

Now, it's my job to turn things around and bring back the good days of the Championship and possibly more. It'll be difficult, the purse strings are tightened every year by chairman Jeff Bonser but each year Walsall are proving the bookies wrong and surviving in the league. With youth, free agents and loans a promotion run doesn't look likely. But this is football, and anything can happen.

Club Information
Team name: Walsall Football Club
Founded: 1888
Nickname: The Saddlers
Stadium: The Banks's Stadium
League Finish Last Season: League One; 19th

All Time Records
Highest Attendance: 25,453 vs Newcastle United (2nd Division, 1961)
Highest League Victory: 10-0 vs Darwen (2nd Division, 1899)
Highest League Defeat: 0-12 vs Small Heath (2nd Division, 1892)
Highest Cup Victory: 7-0 vs Macclesfield (FA Cup 2nd Round, 1997)
Most Capped Player: Mick Kearns (15, Republic of Ireland)
Most League Appearances: Jimmy Walker (531, 1993-2012)
Most League Goals: 184 (Colin Taylor, 1958-1973 and Tony Richards, 1954-1963)
Most League Goals In One Season: 40 (Gilbert Alsop, Division 3, 1933-1934 & 1934-1935)
Highest Transfer Fee Received: £1,000,000 (Scott Dann, Coventry, 2008)
Highest Transfer Fee Paid: £175,000 (Alan Buckley, Birmingham City, 1979)

Honours
Old Division Four Champions: 1959-1960
Old Division Three Runners Up: 1960-1961
Old Division Four Runners Up: 1979-1980
Old Division Three Play-Off Winners: 1987-1988
Division Three Runners Up: 1994-1995
Division Two Runners Up: 1998-1999
Division Two Play-Off Winners: 2000-2001
League Two Champions: 2006-2007

The Squad
Goalkeepers: Jimmy Walker, David Grof
Defenders: Andy Butler, Dean Holden, James Chambers, Paul Downing, Andy Taylor, Richard Taundry, Malvind Benning, Ben Purkiss, Ben George

Midfielders: Adam Chambers, Florent Cuvelier, Nicky Featherstone, Ashley Hemmings, Jamie Paterson, James Baxendale, Aaron Williams, Jake Jones, Keiron Morris

Forwards: Febian Brandy, Connor Taylor, Will Grigg, George Bowerman

Key Players
David Grof
118569.jpg

David Grof has big boots (or gloves) to fill this season as he takes the number one shirt from fan favourite and top league appearance maker for the club, Jimmy Walker. Jimmy Walker is now more of a goalkeeping coach than a player but will still be waiting to pounce if the Hungarian goalkeeper can't perform well enough to hold a first team spot. At just 23 years old this goalkeeper is full of potential.

Andy Butler
840573008-soccer-npower-football-league-walsall-v-bristol-rovers-banks-stadium.jpg

Andy Butler is a commanding centre back, a real fan favourite at the club and always gives 100%. The 28 year old is a 'get your head on everything' type centre back who isn't afraid of anything. He's been a constant performer since joining the club in the 2010-2011 season after leaving Huddersfield on a free transfer. Andy Butler is also the club captain.

Florent Cuvelier
flo-cuvelier-head-640x360250-302038_478x359.jpg

Florent Cuvelier is currently in his 2nd season at the club, on another loan from fellow Midlands club Stoke City. He's a bright midfielder who is very confident on the ball and amazingly he is just 19 years old. He is expected to make his Belgium under 21 appearance in the coming season and is definitely one to watch for the future.
Jamie Paterson
3958830.png

Another young but confident midfielder is Jamie Paterson. He is 20 years old and a product of the youth system and probably the one most of the fans and staff believe will have a bright future in the game. He really came to light at the end of the 2010-2011 season when just 18 and cemented his place in the first team last season.

George Bowerman
walsall53.jpg

Yet another product of the Walsall youth team, George Bowerman has come on a lot in the last year. He is also 20 years old and has come through the same years as Jamie Paterson. Although only really coming to light in the first team last season he is expected to play a big part this season and will be expected to score a lot of goals. Although short, what he lacks in height he gains in strength.

Anyway, onto the story now.. I'll be posting screenshots regularly and will be providing monthly result updates although transfer news regarding players and staff will be more regular if and when something happens. Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
My First Day In The Job
Walsall_1066533.jpg

My first day in the job was met with a feeling of excitement and nerves. I knew this club well as I am a supporter but I also knew how easy it is for opinions to be set after a few results. I looked at the squad, I looked at my staff. Most of my staff were okay but I knew I needed scouts, we're a club having to rely on free transfers and loans so I want to know exactly what I am getting with our limited wage budget. The first thing I did though was mutually agree to terminate the contract of my chief scout, Derek Siddle (a random member of staff that isn't at the club in real life, his stats are so poor too!) I was on the hunt for scouts.

I spoke to the chairman Jeff Bonser too and my wage budget was set at £19k. My transfer budget was a generous £10k... I decided to throw it all into the wage budget and focus on some free transfers.

I also want to send a few players out on loan, Jake Jones, Keiron Morris, Ben Purkiss, Connor Taylor and Ben George are hopefully all going to be loaned out. Ben Purkiss doesn't really have a future here and was signed before my arrival. The others are youngsters who all have the potential to be first team players next year if they progress well enough.

P.S. Sorry if the layout isn't great, it'll improve for monthly updates, just wasn't sure how to lay this part out!

Eww Walsall :p
Very nice layout so far, keep it up.

Nice so far pal, layouts good

(Left click pictures to view them bigger)
Friendlies Round Up
"Head of Youth Development turns down chance to join Aberdeen"
"Walsall bring in two scouts as Chief Scout mutually agrees to leave the club"
"Free agent Daniel Devine signs for the Saddlers"
"Walsall snap up Dutchman Etienne Esajas"
"Paterson out for the first three games of the season"
"Walsall face Championship side Hull City in Capital One Cup 1st Round"
"Youths Go Out On Loan"
"Grof bid rejected"

So we played five friendlies and they were all reasonably good. Stand out players including the Chambers brothers, James and Adam both played really well during the friendlies and hopefully they can continue that in the league!
View attachment 280867

Although the Chambers brothers did very well, my 'player of the friendlies' would have to be Florent Cuvelier. He played each of the friendlies and did really well, his rating of 6.88 doesn't look brilliant but it was better overall considering he played every game. He's going to be good! I really need to get him to stay beyond January..
View attachment 280868

As you may be able to tell by the headlines it has been a busy first few weeks in charge of Walsall. First of all we had Head of Youth Development, Neil Woods, wanted by SPL side Aberdeen and I was surprised he stayed. I had a chat with him when they came in for him and told him how important he was here and I think that helped.

So, as you already know from the other post I let my Chief Scout Derek Siddle go. I brought in a new scout in the name of Glyn Chamberlain. He was Chief Scout at Crewe Alexandra in 2005 and was Assistant Manager at Macclesfield from 2010 until 2012. He's now joined us as a scout.
I still wanted to bring in a Chief Scout and that's just what I did. Paul Compton was to be the main man when it comes to scouting and he is the ex-Chief Scout of Cardiff City. Looks like a good scout and has so far brought up some pretty good players along with Glyn Chamberlain.

I was quick to snap up Daniel Devine on a free transfer following his release from Preston North End. My defence is the most experienced of the lot but I want a young centre back who can hopefully learn from Andy Butler and possibly push Dean Holden and Paul Downing for a starting spot. At just 19 years old I decided a three year deal wouldn't hurt!
View attachment 280863

When we signed up my new scouts they both highly recommended Dutch left midfielder Etienne Esajas. I was looking for a left midfielder to push Ashley Hemmings who I have some doubt over how well he'll play. At 27, Etienne looks like he could be a great signing. Not bad for a free transfer, he is on a two year deal.
View attachment 280866

Some bad news is that my young promising winger Jamie Paterson is out until mid-August with a hamstring injury. Nothing too serious thankfully but he will still be a loss for the first couple of games.

In the Capital One Cup, our first competitive fixture of the new season sees us start at home against Championship side Hull City. Hull have had a very quiet summer as nobody has joined and nobody has left. Steve Bruce is obviously happy with his squad.

I am pleased to say that I managed to send a few youngsters out on loan.. Keiron Morris has joined Stalybridge for the rest of the season, Connor Taylor has joined Lincoln City for the season, Ben George and Jake Jones haven't gone too far and have both joined up with Hereford United. My unwanted defender Ben Purkiss has joined League Two chasing Luton Town who are hoping to gain promotion back to the Football League. It'll be interesting to see how he does this season and although his contract ends at the end of his loan deal with Luton, if he impresses on loan then there's still an opportunity to get in my plans!

I was shocked to see AFC Wimbledon bidding for one of my players. They put in a very cheeky bid of £5k for my number one goalkeeper David Grof. He's not for sale for any price right now.

August 2012 Review
"Saddlers spirited display not enough"
"Crawley crush Walsall"
"Walsall put three past Oldham"
"Walsall end the month in good form"

View attachment 280881

Walsall 1 - 2 Hull City
Jay Simpson '17
James Chester '33

Febian Brandy '76

Crawley Town3 - 1 Walsall
Florent Cuvelier '19
Nicky Adams '39
Josh Simpson '78 '90+2

Walsall 3 - 0 Oldham
George Bowerman '26 '83
Jamie Paterson '56

Walsall 1 - 0 Colchester
Daniel Devine '34

A decent end to a month that started badly. To be fair we put a decent shift in against Hull City and it was down to a couple of individual errors that we lost the game. I was pleased that substitute Febian Brandy was able to grab a goal to give us a fighting chance for the last ten minutes.
The Crawley game wasn't great and our performance wasn't good. We didn't look like we wanted to win and at that point I feared that we had a lot of work ahead of us.
We had two games at home next and both were winnable. Both games saw us put in great displays, some of our passing was brilliant and we thoroughly deserved three points in both games. I was happy to get two clean sheets too as David Grof hadn't performed well in the first two games but he seems to be getting better after each game.

Player of the month once again goes to Florent Cuvelier. He has carried his form from the friendlies right into the league and cup games and bagged himself a goal as well as two assists. Some of his passing has been excellent too.
View attachment 280882

It's early days.. but this is how the table looks so far.. Bury have started surprisingly really well, three wins and haven't conceded a goal.
View attachment 280883

How The Loanee's Are Doing
Ben Purkiss
has started well at Luton Town and has 2 assists in the first three matches as well as a man of the match award.
Eighteen year old Keiron Morris hasn't started well at Stalybridge and in the first 4 games has a rating of just 6.35. Hopefully he'll improve.
Connor Taylor has done excellently at Lincoln City so far. The nineteen year old has scored 3 goals in 5 games and has one man of the match award and an average rating of 6.98.
Ben George has started okay at Hereford United, the young right back has made four appearances and has a rating of 6.82 so far.
Jake Jones who is also at Hereford United has played four matches and has an average rating of 6.80.​

September 2012 Review
"Benson added to strike force on loan from Swindon"
"Young Williams joins Taylor at Lincoln"
"Preston beat poor Walsall side"
"Late County goal sinks Saddlers"
"Brandy scores late winner for Walsall"
"Walsall smash Shrewsbury in derby match"
"Penalty that shouldn't have been means Walsall lose game"
"Walsall dominated by Tranmere"

On transfer deadline day we managed to send Callum Williams out on loan to Lincoln City. My coaches were saying good things about him so I felt I would see how he copes with a 5 month loan to Lincoln.
I also felt I needed an extra striker, I managed to bring in Paul Benson from Swindon until the end of January.
View attachment 281005

View attachment 281000
Preston 2 - 0 Walsall
Andy Butler '63 (OG)
Frederic Piquionne '84

Walsall 1 - 2 Notts County
George Bowerman '27
Francois Zoko '45 '85

Stevenage 2 - 3 Walsall
Robbie Rodgers '16
Febian Brandy '25 '63
Lucas Atkins '68
Paul Benson '85

Shrewsbury 0 - 3 Walsall
George Bowerman '1
Andy Butler '22
Febian Brandy '32

Walsall 2 - 3 Scunthorpe
Andy Barcham '6
Febian Brandy '14 '21
Matt Derbyshire '57 '61 (PEN)

Walsall 0 - 2 Tranmere
Jake Cassidy '2
David Grof '48 (OG)

A poor month overall results wise but, apart from the Preston and Tranmere games, I cannot fault our performances. We're getting forward well and again this month our passing is good. Changed slightly to be more controlling and fluid rather than counter attacking which seems to be okay but we aren't coping with crosses at all. Doing okay in the league though and it is obvious that we are getting the results of a mid-table side, but that for me is worrying as one bad run and we could fall down the league quickly. We need to be turning some of those losses into wins. Strangely, we still haven't drawn a game after 9 games!
Here's how the league looks now..

View attachment 281002View attachment 281003

Player of the Month

Player of the month surprisingly goes to Febian Brandy. He was on a bit of a goal draught but since getting his first goal he hasn't stopped scoring. The partnership between himself and George Bowerman is excellent. Hopefully that'll continue next month.
View attachment 281004

After 10 games Ben Purkiss is still doing well at Luton Town, he has added another assist and has a rating of 7.24.
Keiron Morris has improved slightly at Stalybridge but has only played another two games since August. He's obviously struggling to get into the side and his rating is now 6.48.
Ben George at Hereford has played just two more games this month but his overall rating is okay at 6.68.
Also at Hereford is left midfielder Jake Jones. He has played every game for Hereford and has scored one goal. Encouraging signs for the 19 year old who's rating is now 6.87.
Connor Taylor is continuing to impress at Lincoln City, he has played 12 games and scored an impressive 8 goals and unsurprisingly his rating is 7.03. Great to see.
Callum Williams has only recently joined Lincoln City on loan but has already impressed. He has scored 1 goal in his first 3 appearances for the club and has a rating of 6.63.​

Last edited:
October 2012 Review
"Walsall beat poor Carlisle side"
"Impressive draw against top of the league"
"Walsall second string crash out of JPT"
"Poor performance as Orient beat Saddlers"
"Bowerman out for up to 2 months"
"Clash of the kids ends 2-2"
"Super Saddlers demolish top of the league"
"Walsall draw a blank"
"Walsall end the month with a loss"

This month was always going to be difficult, we had 7 games in 4 weeks and it is testing the squads fitness. After the successful strike partnership between Brandy and Bowerman I was gutted to hear that Bowerman was out with fractured ribs for up to 2 months.

View attachment 281035
Walsall 2 - 1 Carlisle United
Febian Brandy '43 '45+2
Luis Boa Morte '45+1

Walsall 1 - 1 Coventry
Callum Ball '25
Febian Brandy '48

Burton 3 - 1 Walsall (Johnstone's Paint Trophy North 2nd Round)
George Bowerman '9
Jacques Maghoma '12
Tresor Kandol '45+1
Andrew Corbett '63

Leyton Orient 2 - 1 Walsall
Lee Cook '36
Alex MacDonald '58
Febian Brandy '72

Crewe 2 - 2 Walsall
Mathias Pogba '7
Febian Brandy '8
Ashley Hemmings '30

Max Clayton '39

Walsall 2 - 0 Bury
Ashley Hemmings '4 '87

Walsall 0 - 0 MK Dons

Doncaster 1 - 0 Walsall
Robbie Blake '72

Despite only winning 2 out of 7 games I am happy with this month. It has seen us climb a couple of places in the table and we've moved another few points clear of relegation. I am especially pleased with the excellent draw with Coventry who were top of the league at the time and the 2-0 win against Bury who were also top of the league when we faced them. It's encouraging to see we can beat the top teams as well as the teams struggling at the bottom such as Carlisle United. I think my tactics are starting to make an improvement in our play too. Any of those games we lost, we could have won. I'm not too fussed to be out of the JPT as I played a few second string players anyway, to be honest it frees up a match day in the month for my small squad to have a rest, which is good. Here's the league table now.
View attachment 281036View attachment 281037

Player of the Month

Player of the month again goes to Febian Brandy who has continued to turn in brilliant performances. Since Bowerman has been out I haven't been able to find a suitable partner for him upfront and so he has struggled a little since. I have tried Benson, Grigg and moved Paterson from the wing but it isn't working so I can't wait for Bowerman to come back to help things! All this said, in 16 appearances Febian Brandy now has 11 goals. Very impressive!
View attachment 281038

Ben Purkiss is still doing the business with Luton Town and has played another 4 games this month and his average overall is now 7.39.
Keiron Morris again only played 2 games this month taking his total to 8 games now for Stalybridge, although he did get himself on the scoresheet. He has improved a lot, his average rating is now at 6.72
Eighteen year old right back Ben George is similar to Keiron Morris. He isn't quite breaking into the team at Hereford and his performances each month aren't as good. His average rating is now 6.66.
Jake Jones who is at Hereford with Ben George however is continuing to impress. He has played 15 games and has scored another goal bringing his tally to two. His average rating is 6.97.
Connor Taylor hasn't played as well this month. He played six games and only scored one goal but is joint second top goal scorer and has an average rating of 6.92.
After Callum Williams impressive start at Lincoln City we're slightly disappointed that he has only played one game since then. His average rating is now 6.47.​

November 2012 Review
"Brilliant month for the Saddlers"
"Ex-Manchester United player joins coaching team"
"Grigg finds form"
"Bowerman return set for December"
"Young Williams wants loan move"

I am pleased to say that upon asking the board for more coaches they have granted me the request, I decided to add ex-Manchester United forward Andy Cole to the team. No idea if sending them on a coaching course increases their stats but I suppose I'll find out with Cole!
Also, Aaron Williams has asked for a loan move away from the club to gain more first team experience, he's played a couple of games for us but I have let him have a move, although no clubs are interested at the moment.
View attachment 281288

View attachment 281284
Walsall 0
- 2 Scunthorpe (FA Cup 1st Round)
Mike Grella '31
Jimmy Ryan '57

Swindon 3 - 3 Walsall
Andrew Williams '6
Will Grigg '16 '60
Robbie Neilson '41
Febian Brandy '47
Rory Donnelly '62

Hartlepool 2 - 3 Walsall
Jamie Paterson '22 (PEN)
Steve Howard '35
Febian Brandy '37
Luke James '64
Will Grigg '69

Walsall 0 - 0 Sheffield United

Bournemouth 1 - 4 Walsall
Lee Barnard '7
Will Grigg '43 '67 '81
Jamie Paterson '73 (PEN)

Brentford 0 - 2 Walsall
Febian Brandy '14
Ashley Hemmings '20

What a fantastic month for us! It didn't start well but I have sacrificed the cup competitions for the league and so far it looks to be paying off. I think we've found a new strike partnership too while Bowerman has been injured, in Brandy and Grigg! Looks like we have started turning those losses into draws just as I would have liked and it's making a huge difference to confidence and our league position. Here is the league table.
View attachment 281285View attachment 281286
Player of the Month

Player of the Month has to go to Will Grigg this time. November has been superb for him and if he carries on this form I really could see a full international call up by Northern Ireland! Six goals this month is brilliant and with an average rating of 7.25 he has by far been our best player.
View attachment 281287

Good read mate, enjoying it. Playing in the lower leagues myself so enjoy reading about others doing the same!

Good read mate, enjoying it. Playing in the lower leagues myself so enjoy reading about others doing the same!
Thanks mate good to know a few people are reading it :D Yeah I love managing in the lower leagues, annoying having a **** budget but it's more rewarding when you find a real gem of a cheap player or even better when one of your youths come good!

December update will be tomorrow, month completed but I am too tired to write it up :D
Involves two players who have left the club on the first day of the transfer window, another two could be following as we look to make wage funds available for two transfers coming in!

Whats wrong with Wolves!?

Great story mate keep up the good work!
Haha nothing ;) Don't actually mind you lot, just hate those small percentage of fickle fans that turn on your club whenever there's a couple of bad results, every club has them I suppose but yours seem worse. Not all like that though obviously!
And cheers mate, next update coming now.

We do have a large group of fickle fans that seem to be getting louder and louder by the week! I know alot of Walsall fans that despise us and ive never known why. I do like Walsall and always look out for there results on a Saturday night. hopefully you can return to the championship sooner rather than later!