Little things we should know about a title challenge

pimpdollar

Reaction score
From your time playing FM 12, if you have ever won a league title, how large is your squad generally ?How many u21 do you use ?What position do you include most at registration ?

Which teams do you believe you have to beat to ensure you win/challenge for the title ?

How much do you spend roughly per season ?

How do you prevent your title challenge from going stale ?

And anything else you think would help!

Just thought this would be useful to people on the website, and I am interested myself!

Last edited:
1-It depends on the registration rules in each country, but generally about 30. I use about 5 youth players. Midfielders.

2-Your direct competitors and rivals.

3-I spend as much as I need.

4-Whenever you feel that there's no challenge quit the job.

• how large is your squad generally ?
  • I pretty much always go for a 25-man senior squad - 2 players for every position in my formation and a versatile defender, midfielder and forward to provide extra cover.
  • How many u21 do you use ?
  • I like to bring through youth players; for me that's the best bit of the game. Therefore, once I feel I have the strongest squad in the league, I look to supplement it with youth. The first two seasons in a save will tend to be the most experienced of my squads, but it all depends. Age is just a number, and I pick my 25 most talented players for my senior squad irrespective of age. I tend to sell players by the time they're 29, and replace them with a player I've brought through from a young age.
  • What position do you include most at registration ?
  • Two players for every position and three versatile back-ups - a third choice keeper should be a talented young player who you don't have to include.
  • Which teams do you believe you have to beat to ensure you win/challenge for the title ?
  • The weaker teams. Usually there are a definite top 6 teams (in the premiership, other leagues will be different). That's 12 games of your season, and if you win the other 26 games you have 78 points - 5/6 points against the big teams will then usually be enough on top of that. Obviously you'll never win 26 /26 against weaker teams, but avoiding major upsets is the key to winning the league.
  • How much do you spend roughly per season ?
  • First two/three seasons, I'll spend a lot. Usually my entire budget, supplemented by player sales, until I have the best squad in Europe, when I look to make a profit on transfers every season.
  • How do you prevent your title challenge from going stale
  • Start a new game if necessary - first I make sure my club has overgone a complete overhaul, won everything there is to win and set all the records. Then I ensure it's the richest club in the world (combining winning with making a profit on transfers and having a big stadium). At that point, the game is essentially complete, so I start from a non-league team (in the same save) and work that team's way up to challenge my former club.