Liverpool 13/14 tactic - Won me the treble in my first season

SaoPaolo90

Reaction score
I've made a tactic that tries to mimic the way Liverpool managed games in the second half of the 13/14 domestic season. It's based on using two different formations over the course of the match to go for the jugular and control the spaces when comfortable. I've just finished my first season as Liverpool and it won me a league, FA Cup and Champions League treble. Here are the formations:

JcAc0PJ.png

wqF7x4L.png

Both formations use the following team instructions:

tnYLzaH.png

The first formation is about pinning your opponent back with pace, short passing and a high-tempo build up. You'll need fullbacks who are comfortable in attacking situations - wing back support and full back attack are both ideal for this formation - but you will also need quick centre backs supported by a sweeper keeper. You should have a striker who's comfortable bringing other players into the game and wingers who can beat a man, cut inside and finish, as well as an AMC who can dribble, pass and who can drop deeper into the midfield if needs be. Make sure your midfielders are set to pass short, and that your attacking line are told to shoot less, pass shorter and press higher.

You'll soon have goals flying in but you will be susceptible to counterattacks, particularly from teams who play with a direct style. That's why the second formation is useful against more physical teams, as well as opponents with stronger attacks than yours. You should also use it to see out the rest of the game when the first formation has put you in a strong position. This is not a plug and play tactic, but if you implement it well you'll see the goals fly in.

Here are some results:

WTUAAZh.png

a001uP0.png

QfPU5qu.png

pS8jJrF.png

y9wFbmR.png

mbCPTj3.png

And here's a download link. Enjoy!

Attacking 4-5-1_99B7A6D4-0E68-472A-B69C-22E3A37A0532

Passing football_A64F3E0C-40E0-48C9-8342-F4C543DA0194

You mean the 2014/2015 season? There is no 2013/2014 BPL season in FM15

Also, this isn't exactly a "winning with Liverpool" tactic since 7 of your 11 starters are guys you brought in the first season. When it comes to showing tactics and how they perform with specific teams, people on here usually keep the default squad and show how the tactic worked with the real team.

But, nonetheless, good job!

You mean the 2014/2015 season? There is no 2013/2014 BPL season in FM15

Also, this isn't exactly a "winning with Liverpool" tactic since 7 of your 11 starters are guys you brought in the first season. When it comes to showing tactics and how they perform with specific teams, people on here usually keep the default squad and show how the tactic worked with the real team.

But, nonetheless, good job!

I should have clarified that - I tried to mimic the way the team played in real life the season they should have won the league. It's the tactic that saw them destroy Arsenal and Spurs and I've tried to mimic it in the game. I didn't realise I was meant to keep the squad the same, sorry about that. Either way I didn't rip out the squad that much, it was still very much a Liverpool team and it really got them punching above their weight. Please let me know how it goes if you do decide to test it :)

team traning? OI?
match prepation?

When you begin you want to set your training to Match tactics and set your match preparation to full. Once your team is fully familiar with the tactic you can start to change your match prep to your assistant's recommendations based on your opposition. And when you're up against opponents for whom your assistant doesn't recommend any type of training, I'd go with teamwork.

As for OI, I'd get yourself an assistant with a high tactical and defensive rating (such as Tassotti) and let him sort your OI out. But remember that this is a tactic in which the team presses as a unit so don't let your assistant set too many players to be individually pressed or you'll lose your shape. But you have to use your discretion on that.

How did you afford so many players in season 1? show your transfers. you must be god-tier in money

Whatever you want it to be. Training has nothing to do with the tactic.

If they don't mention OI in the OP, then they most likely don't use any.

There is no specific way of doing match prep. You can do whatever way you are comfortable with. Just because he does it one way, doesn't mean you have to do it that way for this tactic to work.

Play the game, learn what training and match prep does and come to a conclusion on what to do based on what you learned. Trial and error.

Favourite response. Ever.

How did you afford so many players in season 1? show your transfers. you must be god-tier in money

I got rid of Mignolet for £12 million, Borini for £11 million, Flanagan for £6 million and Touré for £1 million, all while promising I could win the league, so they gave me a £25 million budget that I adjusted to the limit. So I was sitting on a £60 million budget that I pumped into young players, such as Munir, whose buyout clause I paid, and Adama Traoré who I took on loan. Verratti was unhappy at PSG so I got him for a cut price £15 million with £10 million over 48 months. Romero was on the market for £7 million so I took him off of Velez's hands. Timo Horn had a 3 million buyout clause. Luka Jovic was on the market for 800k. Kolasinac I got for £11 million with most of the payment made over 48 months. And when all was said and done I still had a spare £30 million or so, and having missed out on Depay I invested it into El Shaarawy. In January I had just enough money to sign Valdés by asking my board to free up a few more funds. Basically the secret is to pay as little as you can up front, and push your board to the limit - it served me very nicely.

Last edited:
Is the striker supposed to be a Trequartista

In theory that should work but it didn't seem to work for me. I found I couldn't get results out of a trequartista, he simply tried to too much when this tactic all about the team passing quickly between them. So I changed it to poacher and that seems to work - the striker generally lays the ball off quickly and decisively, which is what you want for this tactic, and generally shoots when in the right position. It works very well in such an attacking tactic. But you might find that you get positive results out of a trequartista, and if you do, let me know - I'm always happy to receive good feedback. Enjoy :)

Just going to try and test this tactic with Liverpool myself and see what i can get from it , can i ask just one thing first ? is the striker supposed to trequartista or poacher then ??? just to be finally sure !!

Also if you Look at the Screenshots and then the in-game downloaded tactic, they have different settings for the positions shown . ie some are attacking in the SS and in the the tactic they are not . Little bit confusing . Help please!! maybe a final upload of the tactic as you have been using it . Just Saying .

Tactic does not work for me Sorry , i have followed exactly what it says im Liverpool mid table . Not Good