Liverpool FC - Bringing back the success of the 1970's and 1980's

kmurray0403

Reaction score
View attachment 358739

In this thread, I will manage Liverpool FC, the most successful club in the history of English football. My aim in this story is to replicate the success of Liverpool Football Club which was almost constant throughout the 1970's and 1980's, as well as once again become the dominant force in English football. I will look to do monthly updates on this story.

Part One - A Summer of Turmoil

BREAKING NEWS

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has quit as manager of the club following a disagreement with the board regarding the club's transfer policy. It is understood that the club will place rookie coach Kieran Murray in temporary charge until they can decide on who will replace the Northern Irishman in the Anfield dugout.

BREAKING NEWS

Liverpool fan favourite Jamie Carragher has announced that he will retire at the end of the season. This news comes just days after manager Brendan Rodgers quit the club. The favourite to take over at Anfield is Malaga boss Manuel Pellegrini, with former France boss Laurent Blanc and Mexican Javier Aguirre also in the mix.

BREAKING NEWS

Reports coming out of Anfield are that Liverpool have confirmed coach Kieran Murray as their new manager on a one-year contract. At just 31 years old, Murray is the youngest manager in the Premier League and his appointment has been met with disapproval from a selection of Liverpool supporters who have attacked the board for showing a lack of ambition in appointing a new manager.

Part Two - The Hard Work Begins

I have set myself two targets before starting my first season.

1. Champions League Qualification
2. Win at least one trophy

View attachment 358740View attachment 358741View attachment 358743

So the board have requested that I play attacking football and develop the youth players at the club, and have also allocated a transfer budget of £0 which isn't ideal, so I'll no doubt wait until January to see if I'm given any funds, until then I'll stick with my squad and introduce some younger players into the first team. Only the four pre-season games but I do enter the Europa League at the qualifiers stage so that gives me an extra two games to prepare my players for the new league season, which kicks of against Newcastle at home. Within my first season I will look to involve some of the younger squad members in first team games, such as Raheem Sterling, Jack Robinson, Adam Morgan, Suso and Jordan Ibe.

View attachment 358742

My first signing of the season was that of assistant manager Francisco Ayestaran after I terminated the contract of Colin Pascoe. Ayestaran worked at the club during Rafa Benitez's reign at Liverpool.

First update will come at the end of August!

July/August

View attachment 358845

So the pre-season wasn't exactly the greatest of warm-up's for the new season (one win, two draws, one defeat), especially when three of the four teams we played are fairly weaker sides than Liverpool. I drew Vitesse Arnhem in the Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round, a fairly tough draw given they have some talented players like Wilfried Bony and Marco Van Ginkel.

View attachment 358848

Vitesse Arnhem - 1-0 - Carragher
Vitesse Arnhem - 1-1 - Sturridge
Newcastle United - 3-2 - Downing, Agger (x2)
SV Ried - 1-1 - Suarez
Wigan Athletic - 0-0
SV Ried - 2-0 - Sturridge, Gerrard

A fairly mixed start to the season which began with a decent win at home in the first leg against Vitesse followed by a 1-1 draw away to them which secured our place in the knockout round after Bony gave them the lead. The Premier League campaign began with a 3-2 home win against Newcastle, a game which at times we were sluggish. This became a problem in the next game against SV Ried where we conceded late on, and against Wigan where we were absolutely diabolical in attack and with our passing. We did however end the month with a win in Austria to secure qualification for the group stage of the Europa League. Daniel Sturridge is looking like being a key player for me this season, as to is Daniel Agger, who's been pretty impressive early on in centre-back. Luis Suarez however hasn't hit form yet, which is annoying.

View attachment 358851

The media described our group as an easy one! Personally though I think we'll have to play well to get results against all three teams in our group, especially FC Copenhagen.

View attachment 358852

Few players loaned out to gain some first team experience. I have promoted Suso and Ryan McLoughlin into the first team due to injuries and fitness problems. I also terminated the contracts of three fitness coaches and brought in Paul Winsper.