Liverpool FC. Help Please! General Advice Needed.

Heindrich1988

Reaction score
Hey guys,

It has been a while since I played FM, when my mighty Reds dominated the EPL and Europe for 7 seasons in FM 2007. How things have changed... I actually played FM2013 Handheld, which was not hard to pick up, but it is nothing like FM2014.

Football Manager was never an easy or simple game, but the added complexity from FM2007 to 2014 is rather overwhelming even for a returning veteran like myself (though I cannot claim to have ever become an expert). I feel reasonably knowledgeable about football, but it feels like I need a coaching badge in real life to get started with this game! There are so many variables everything I do feels like peeing in the snow... in the dark. I think I made a difference, but I'm not sure how.

So I got a few noobie questions...

1) My Assistant Manager is not particularly impressive, but should I listen to his constant stream of advice in the midst of a game?

2) Do players always respond in the same manner to a certain style of team talk? If so is it worth making a note of how players respond to certain styles and use specific styles for specific players?

3) How do you man-mark? I remember in FM 2007 I'd highlight players like Kaka when I played against AC Milan, I haven't found the option for FM2014 yet.

4) Are the default training schedules reasonable? I have no idea if I should change things around.

5) How come all my scouts keep recommending the same players?

6) Anything else a noobie like myself should be aware of that might not be clear immediately?

Thanks!

1. Sack or replacement your assistant. Some coaches or scout with great stats can be coaxed to be your assistant. E.g segura

2. I let my assistant to do it the team talk and instruction.

3. Look in player instruction to man mark specific player. Some position wont allow this option

4. Set training to tactics very high early in the season until your tactic become competent. Use defensive position against stronger team. Use attacking movement against weaker team.

5. U can set scouting assignment. Some scouts has similar default setting scouting the same local league.

6. Corner set piece is back! Set to near post and ask your striker or strongest defender to attack near post.

I use TBH split 451 tactic.
Moses as WTB (suarez as IF or DLF when he returned), iapas as tre or advanced playmaker, sturridge as poacher or AF, gerrard or sterling as winger on support).
Lucas Leiva n allen as anchor/half back and DM/ anchor.

One must play defensive role while other distribute thr ball ( regista/ DLP/ DM).

Retrain henderson and allen as DM

Last edited:
1. Depends on his tactical knowledge, if it's decent then you should be fine following it. Probably best to replace him sooner than later though anyway.

2. They do and they don't, certain players are more likely to accept criticism and praise better than others but it's all highly dependent on the situation and player personalities. There are a few fairly safe options though so just fiddle around a little with them.

3. Before the game you can set up opposition instructions, select the player you want marked and assign a player to do so. You can have your assistant do this for you, again if he has good tactical knowledge and is suited to it then you're free to allow him to do so.

4. For general team training, preseason wither go with tactics or fitness then switch to balanced during the season. Match training, attacking movement and def. positioning are the two you'll use most, just switch them around based on the teams coming up.
As for players, a mixture of specific attribute training for 2-3 months and general role training works well.

5. They're probably all scouting out the same region/s, you can have someone set the assignments for you but again this is something best done by yourself. Try to spread them out but focus on the key regions and countries.

6. Nothing really, keep an eye on transfer market and who's coming up on a free. Some really good players end up floating around for very little money. Also ignore what haroldz said, don't bother using an exploit like the corner trick, it leads to laziness and bad tactics.