Liverpool Second Season - Squad Review... thoughts?

1jakebrown

Reaction score
I have just finished my 1st​ season with Liverpool, finishing 2nd​ with mixed feelings on the season. After an inconsistent start, from the start of the new year we went on a 12 match unbeaten run winning 11 of these. The inconsistency kicked in again and we finished 5 points behind Chelsea, I can?t say I?m surprised as this is what I expected with a very young squad (youngest in the league). Anyway, I?m looking to make a few changes now were back in the Champions League and wondered if anyone can recommend anyone. This is my current squad and my thoughts so far? Note, squad is huge as players back from loan so this is not final start of season squad.

Goalkeepers
Simon Mignolet
Brad Jones

Mignolet had an average season, Brad Jones has to go. I am thinking about bringing in Fraser Forster, can probably snap him up for around ?3M which is great considering I can sell Reina or Mignolet for at least double this ? thoughts?

Wing/Full Backs
Glen Johnson
Jon Flanagan
Jordon Henderson (retrained to CWB ? beast!!!)
Martin Kelly
Jack Robinson
Jose Enrique

Desperate to bring in Luke Shaw as Southampton have been relegated but he hasn?t been transfer listed as requested as some others. I will most probably send Robinson and Kelly back on loan, keep Flanagan as can play both full back roles so good utility.

Central Defenders
Mohammad Sakho
Daniel Agger
Doria
Kolo Toure
Andre Wisdom

Will try and get Kolo off the wage bill and bring in someone a bit more reliable and good for tutoring the youngsters, happy with other 4.

Central Midfielders
Steven Gerrard
Andre Ayew (retrained to BBM)
Joe Allen
Lucas Levia
Jordan Henderson
Jonathon Dos Santos
Mario Pugliese
Jordan Rossiter

A bit heavy here, looking to sell Allen and Dos Santos (picked up on a free purely for cover/profit), Pugliese and Rossiter to go out on loan. City are sniffing around Lucas after a great season and I can pick up Wanyama for ?15.75M due to transfer by request ? thoughts?

Wide/Attacking Midfielders
Raheem Sterling
Coutinho
Andre Ayew
Jordan Ibe
Suso
Luis Alberto

Happy with wingers, some good youth prospects. Thinking of bringing Sneijder as Coutinho only natural AP, would help with tutoring youngsters as well.

Strikers
Luis Suaraz
Daniel Sturridge
Aspas
Ricardo Zizkovic

Suarez broke his leg end of last season so out for another 3-4 months, Sturridge has played awesome has he hasn?t been missed, Zizkovic also done brilliant when brought in. Could probs do with someone as Aspas isn?t cutting it.. thoughts?

Most probably missed a few players out but that?s the majority of it. Any feedback or thoughts would be much appreciated!!!

JB

You could possibly pick up Balanta at CB for under 10 mil but he might have to stay at river plate for another season.

Timo Werner as a striker for under 10 mil. Play him as an AF (he's netted 45 in two seasons for me).

Why buy Sneijder when you have Gerrard to tutor???

Declare interest in Shaw and keep pushing and enquiring to unsettle him.

Chalobah at CM is a beast for me in the second season. 14 goals 6 assists avg rating of 7.64. I don't know if Chelsea will sell cheap? But he's a wonderkid.

As for a CB with experience to tutor I'm not sure. As you can tell I manage Chelsea and experienced CBs they have a plenty!

Yes I have Balanta on my short list although his Determination is only 4 so I am just keeping an eye on him at the moment.

Werner is a good choice, haven't used him on FM14 so may try and offload Aspas.

Sneijder is an out and out AM where as Gerrard plays a lot deeper now. He would add a lot of depth to the squad for the extra games this season.

A bit more thoughts as to your budget would help.

For Defence, a slightly older CB will never go amiss, experience mostly is a good thing at CB and CM. Balanta in defence is a beast, although young (He varies with saves though, so check yours.). Maybe try getting Rever for CB, if he gets WP.

Fraser Forster is decent, that's about it. Why not get a younger option, so as to learn from Mignolet, and eventually take over from him? Rulli, Bardi and Butland are all exceptional options.

Luke Shaw is brilliant as a CWB;; If you're not able to get him for cheap, maybe try Alex Telles. He's available cheaply at the start of the second season, and grows to be a monster.

If you get a good price for Lucas, sell him and get Wanyama. Both are beasts, only Wanyama is younger, so he'll provide you with cover for a longer period of time. Alternatively, Papadopoulous, if you're using BWM. Trust me, he's a beast.

Sneijder? Why not try Ronaldinho? Both should increase your shirt sales, but Ronaldinho will probably ask for a cheaper salary. Plus, squad status. Ideally, Coutinho should get more time, Sneijder may not like that.

For strikers, there are a plethora of options. Timo Werner, Alexandar Mitrovic, Romelu Lukaku, Facundo Ferreyra, to name a few. Take your pick.

Thanks @Sherkey

Yeah I agree, going to look around before I decide to invest in Balanta. He will need tutoring because determination is only 4.

If possible, I like to keep it young and English so I will look at Butland and will keep trying to get Shaw to force a move!

RE Lucas... That is what I'm thinking, I should be able to get at least double for what I can but Wanyama for although I'm usuing him as a Half Back so could you recommend some better suited?

I did try to get Ronaldihno last season but he wasn't interested. Will try again now I'm in the Champions League if not I will look else where.

Oooh almost forgot, Transfer budget is just under 40M

Half-Back is a wee bit tougher. Off the top of my head, Bender brothers, Yann M'Villa and Romulo should do the trick. Although, I'd still get Wanyama, he seems decent at Half-Back too. Matic could do a half decent job probably, but you have better option. Oh, and Sandro. He should be pretty good.

Overall, I'd say Sandro/Yann M'Villa/Matuidi for Half-Back.

Half-Back is a wee bit tougher. Off the top of my head, Bender brothers, Yann M'Villa and Romulo should do the trick. Although, I'd still get Wanyama, he seems decent at Half-Back too. Matic could do a half decent job probably, but you have better option. Oh, and Sandro. He should be pretty good.

Overall, I'd say Sandro/Yann M'Villa/Matuidi for Half-Back.

Ok thanks, what role is best for Wanyama, BWM? Don't currently have that role in any of my tactics although I'm sure I could find somewhere to fit one in!!

Yeah, both Wanyama and Papadopoulous are beasts at BWM. Both of them got the highest ratings in the League for Southampton. May have a poor disciplinary record occasionally, but for me, the results were totally worth it!

oh wow, if southampton got relegated (this never happens to me) i would buy wanyama, clyne (can also play LB if you can get shaw), shaw, ward-prowse, wanyama, and maybe even callum chambers (but you clearly dont need another RB).

I bought and played JWP as arsenal in 2014, now in 2016, he is one of the best in the world, his corner and FK stats alone are worth it.

He can play any position in the middle of the park. I use him in CM as a DLP-D, a BBM-S and as an AMC - AP - S. Just an amazing player.

Things didn't go as planned here... Madrid come sniffing around Coutinho and he become unhappy when I rejected a bid for him so I sold him for ?35M. Pretty happy with the sum and his replacement - Gaston Ramirez. Transfer listed by request due to relegation so I picked him up for a small ?10M, good deal IMO.

Southampton weren't budging over Shaw so I brought in Ben Davies for ?5M & Joe Allen... Very happy with that. I will snap up Shaw as soon as it is feasible though!

I raided Southampton again.... twice for Wanyama and Ward Prowse. ?15M & ?8M respectively. I have sold Dos Santos for ?3M pure profit, and allowed all youngsters to get some game time away from the club.

Assaidi ?5M, Aspas ?7M and Reina ?5M were a few others who have left. Sneijder signed a new contarct with Galatasary and Ronaldinho wont come.

So ideally still looking for a bit of experience at CB and a new GK... Will be pretty happy then. Excited about how some out youth are developing, have a few that are on loan playing Champions League football this year at 18/19 in Beradhi and Zizvokic.. Futures bright!

Things didn't go as planned here... Madrid come sniffing around Coutinho and he become unhappy when I rejected a bid for him so I sold him for ?35M. Pretty happy with the sum and his replacement - Gaston Ramirez. Transfer listed by request due to relegation so I picked him up for a small ?10M, good deal IMO.

Southampton weren't budging over Shaw so I brought in Ben Davies for ?5M & Joe Allen... Very happy with that. I will snap up Shaw as soon as it is feasible though!

I raided Southampton again.... twice for Wanyama and Ward Prowse. ?15M & ?8M respectively. I have sold Dos Santos for ?3M pure profit, and allowed all youngsters to get some game time away from the club.

Assaidi ?5M, Aspas ?7M and Reina ?5M were a few others who have left. Sneijder signed a new contarct with Galatasary and Ronaldinho wont come.

So ideally still looking for a bit of experience at CB and a new GK... Will be pretty happy then. Excited about how some out youth are developing, have a few that are on loan playing Champions League football this year at 18/19 in Beradhi and Zizvokic.. Futures bright!

I don't think it's difficult to find a decent CB. Balanta, Doria, Hector Moreno, Shawcross are a few options. Also take a look in your own squad. You have Wisdom Kelly that are decent players.

I don't think it's difficult to find a decent CB. Balanta, Doria, Hector Moreno, Shawcross are a few options. Also take a look in your own squad. You have Wisdom Kelly that are decent players.

Not saying it is difficult, I'm trying to get the right blend between youth and experience.

Never reject bids. Rather, renegotiate the price so high that they'll voluntarily drop out. Prevents players from getting unhappy, or asking for better contracts.

End of season 2nd.. Sold Sturridge for ?30M to Arsenal and brought in Huntleer for ?10M for experience and added quality.

I need a right back, GK and top IF

RB...Matt Lowton Clyne
GK...Butland, M.Perrin. Forster. Alex Mcarthy
IF...A.Knockaert. Kasper Kusk, Yacine Brahim, Alberto Bueno, Gaston Ramirez or Adam Lallana and btw you have Suso who can be beastly

Yeah think I might bring in Clyne, I like to keep it English wherever possible, possible Bultand as an understudy to Mignolet who will over take him in a couple of seasons.

Won the league this year but really wanna challenge for the CL this season, I can bring in Vitinho for ?5M... tempting as I know he beomes a beast.

Victor Fischer IF has been good in my Liverpool save. Dede CB?

For experienced CB look at Yanga-mbiwa and Caulker. They are both very solid and should be available for under 12m each with some haggling. For young CB take a look at Balanta or Zouma. Either one of these wonderkids will turn into beasts for you. Yes, GK is usually the hardest position to fill that needs upgrading. Try to get a guy like Koval, Butland, or Szceszny. You will really need to research and scout your keepers. Of course a dream add would be De Gea or Ter Stegen but it all depends on how much they cost and if they are interested.

You do not want ronaldinho I got him he's a useless donkey eating my wage bill... with regards to the AP get pjanic, he won me the league and the champions league! he assists so much and scores too! he's just the perfect midfielder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk