Liverpool seek Roy Hodgson replacement

CorvetteC3

Reaction score
Hodgson on the brink - reports

January 1, 2011

By ESPNsoccernet staff

Roy Hodgson appears to be on the brink of losing his job as Liverpool manager as widespread reports claim the club's owners have started a search for his replacement.

A number of British newspapers have reported that American owners Fenway Sports Group, headed by John W Henry, has already decided to end Hodgson's Anfield nightmare as soon as a suitable replacement is found.
Bolton boss Owen Coyle, who brings his surprise-packet team to Anfield on Saturday, has been touted along with Frank Rijkaard, Porto's Andre Villa Boas, Borussia Dortmund's Jurgen Klopp and Didier Deschamps as possible contenders for the Liverpool hotseat. The owners are reportedly reluctant to sack Hodgson and install a temporary manager such as club legend Kenny Dalglish, and the unavailable of some candidates could give Hodgson extra time before the axe falls.
Hodgson has been forced to apologise to fans over earlier comments about their lack of support for him and it seems difficult to picture the former Fulham boss emerging from his besieged position to turn Liverpool's disappointing season around. The Reds' 1-0 loss at home to lowly Wolves this week was another low point in a campaign that sees them just three points above the relegation zone.
Hodgson arrived at Liverpool in the summer after the club decided to part ways with Rafael Benitez but his management style, which steered Fulham to the Europa League final last season, hasn't seemed to translate to the more demanding environment at Anfield.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...eek-roy-hodgson-replacement---reports?cc=5739

I've actually thought about Villas Boas and Coyle as possible successors to Hodgson. Martin O'Neil?

Vilas Boas has just signed a new contract with Porto till 2014 or so. So doubt he'll come.

New year,new manager,new players, plz new trophy

Deschamps would be an interesting hire at Anfield. I doubt Owen Coyle would be the right candidate. Bolton are overachieving the the league this year, same as Hodgson did with Fulham last year in the Europa League. Surely they won't make the same mistake twice.

Daglish is the favorite, in my mind. There's no question. Although I do like Hodgson as a manager (when he was at Fulham) and hope he gets back to the game at a somewhat decent club when the dust settles.

they need someone young with new ideas so not some grumpy old person like woy

its goin to be a nobody big in football as they want an english manager steve mclaren possible with him close to being sack by wolfsburg

Deschamps would be an interesting hire at Anfield. I doubt Owen Coyle would be the right candidate. Bolton are overachieving the the league this year, same as Hodgson did with Fulham last year in the Europa League. Surely they won't make the same mistake twice.

Daglish is the favorite, in my mind. There's no question. Although I do like Hodgson as a manager (when he was at Fulham) and hope he gets back to the game at a somewhat decent club when the dust settles.

Agree about Coyle, if he stays with Bolton and manages to turn them into decent top half team then there will definitely be job for him at some top club. Succesor to Fergie or Wenger?

they need someone young with new ideas so not some grumpy old person like woy

We'll NESV have a bit of a reputation for going after younger, skilled and talented players and staff rather than the ones who simply have a high reputation.

Daglish is Liverpool's legend...liverpool should hired him and we can see what their fans said if he also cant manage Liverpool well..

Would love to see Coyle at Liverpool, as he is a pretty good bloke, and a good manager at that. Although I would also like to see him stay at Bolton because he has them playing some nice football, for the first time in the clubs history ;)

i like what coyle is doing with bolton a lot, but like Versaty1e said, hes having an overacheiving season like hodgson did with fulham, dunno if liverpool will do that twice.
what about martin jol? is he still unemployed?

Thank God if this is true!!! I think Didier Deschamps and Jurgen Klopp would both be good choices, but not too fond on the idea of Owen Coyle, as like someone said, it's the same situation as Hodgson, a mediocre team performing above expectations, but anyway, he can't be worse than Hodgson!

Coyle plays attractive football at Bolton, but Villas-Boas, Pellegrini and Deschamps attract me.

imagine that LFC would hire Rafa Benitez again........i would probably stop supporting them..........

To be fair to Coyle, he did it with Burnley, getting them to the Prem before he took over at Bolton, so it's not like he's just having a lucky season.

To be fair to Coyle, he did it with Burnley, getting them to the Prem before he took over at Bolton, so it's not like he's just having a lucky season.

true, but if i owned liverpool and had to get it right, i think i would want a little bit more proof hes a top manager, but thats just me :) another couple of solid years and i'd say hes a candidate for any top side

This isn't really news. The question is whether he resigns or is sacked before the summer when he was expected to be paid off, according to the terms of his contract.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

imagine that LFC would hire Rafa Benitez again........i would probably stop supporting them..........

Please do :)