Preston85

Reaction score
Going for more of a detailed information style rather than this is who I sold/bought and what happened, especially at the start. Hope this helps people understand there’s more to it than buy bigs names and stick in a tactic people said work.

Part 1 Link
1. New Manager takes over Liverpool
1.1 Club Structure
1.1.1 Transfer and Wage Funds
1.1.2 Transfer Policy
1.2 Personnel Shake-up
1.2.1 Coaching Staff
1.2.2 Scouting
1.2.3 Squad Review
1.3 Tactics
1.3.1 Formation + Roles
1.3.2 Players In Tactic
1.3.3 Training Regime

Part 2 Link
2. Playing The Markets
2.1 Sales
2.1.1 Benayoun
2.1.2 Babel
2.1.3 Voronin
2.1.4 Aurellio
2.2 Purchases
2.2.1 van der Vaart
2.2.2 Rossi
2.2.3 Nainggolan
2.2.4 Verratti
2.3 Review
2.3.1 Players Yet to Sell
2.3.2 Finances
2.3.3 Summary

Part 3+4 Link

3. Pre-Season
3.1 Plan
3.1.1 Fitness
3.1.2 Develop Tactic
3.2 Games
3.3 Review

4. August
4.1 Preparing For The Season
4.2 Burnley
4.2.1 Pre-Match
4.2.2 Match

4.2.3 Post Game
4.3 Sunderland
4.3.1 Pre-Match
4.3.2 Match
4.3.3 Post Game

4.4 Manchester United
<- BIG GAME
4.4.1 Pre-Match
4.4.2 Match
4.4.3 Post Game

4.5 Wolves
4.5.1 Pre-Game
4.5.2 Match
4.5.3 Post Game

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. New Manager takes over Liverpool

1.1 Club Structure
1.1.1 Transfer and Wage Funds
Only 2m available and only 40k per week on wages are available. Will have to cut the wage bill and find funds from somewhere.

1.1.2 Transfer Policy
Well wish I had known this before taking over, if I sell anyone I’m only going to get 50% of the transfer fee. This will make it hard to take this club forward, any player I sell will have to be replaced by someone worth half of them. I’m going to have to invest in youth and hope they improve, if they don’t become good enough to be a regular first team player we should be able to make a profit on them and improve the clubs finances. Good coaching will be key.

Will also look to loans and pushing fee’s into the future rather than paying everything upfront. Hopefully we can bring in some extra money through success in competitions to make the loans permanent.

1.2 Personnel Shake-up
1.2.1 Coaching Staff
Whoa Benitez must have been some kind of fitness freak, so many Fitness Coaching staff, heads will have to roll to increase the quality of coaching all round.

• Strength – Gonzalo Rodriguez
  • Aerobic – Julian Monk (upgrade from Youth)
  • GK – Billy Stewart
  • Tactics – Angel Vales
  • Ball Control – Jose Segura (upgrade from Youth)
  • Defending – Mauricio Pellegrino (upgrade from 1st)
  • Attacking – SIGNED Julio Tous
  • Shooting – SIGNED Ricardo Moniz
  • Set Pieces – Sammy Lee
Much better now, 4 stars or more in all categories.

1.2.2 Scouting
Lots of scouting staff, will leave them to it, hopefully will find some good deals, maybe the next wonderkid.

Will have Paul Johnson do the Report Cards, he seems to give the most accurate assessments.

1.2.3 Squad Review
The squad is pretty good, the focus is clearly to the central positions especially in midfield so I should play a suitable formation for that. This will mean outside players have a lower value for me, Babel, Benayoun and Riera can be sold if suitable offers are made. N’Gog will be the backup for Torres but could do with another goal scorer for the immediate future.

Voronin doesn’t have a future at the club, age and lack of technical ability does not fit my vision.

We have 3 good left backs, one of the older two could be sold to bring in funds.

1.3 Tactics

1.3.1 Formation + Roles
I’m going to follow in Benitez’s footsteps and try to get my quality central players onto the field and support Torres with players running forward from the midfield.

• Standard flat back 4 but playing wing backs rather than full backs to give more attacking width with a central midfield.
  • Two DMC’s to shield the DC’s when defending. When attacking they can recycle the ball easily and offer easy pass options for the defenders.
  • Two AMC to support the ST, goal scorers and suppliers, will need good first touch, passing, creativity and finishing.
  • MC to link the DMC to the AMC, position made for Gerrard. In defence I will have 3 great defensive midfields but going forward he will join the attackers and have 3 great attacking midfields.
  • Single ST, needs to hold up the ball for midfielders to get forward but with pace can counter attack with balls from the midfielders.
1.3.2 Players In Tactic

Clearly Babel, and Benayoun don’t really fit this formation, Riera isn’t even in the list as he’s a winger and his report says he’s rubbish in the middle, far from a natural.

Main positions to improve will be AMC, maybe bring in one or two quality players and fill depth with younger players for future.

1.3.3 Training Regime
Will create training schemes for each position in the tactic, a standard training regime (like Tugs) will work for certain positions but with such a focused tactic a more focused training regime is required, especially for the AMC roles which need to create and score goals.

Some players like Mascherano who are about as good as you can get at there role might train another scheme to improve there all round play.
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Next Up......... Selling and Buying plus making sure they fit the requirements.[/FONT]

Last edited:
pushing fees into the future by spreading the payment over a number of months will mean vastly reduced transfer budgets every year until the debt is paid to the other club. just to let you know :D

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

wouldnt it hav also been easier just to take a few screen shots rather than make those tables?

I'm just holding out for a new owner or winning stuff for extra prize money! ;) Just typed up my transfers so will post them but i've only spread 6.5m over 48 months and a Loan To Buy option so don't need to pay that till next summer, which as you'll see i've worked out.

2. Playing The Markets
2.1 Sales
2.1.1 Benayoun
While he’s versatile in width he isn’t a goal scorer and can’t play defensive so is surplus to requirements. Wanted by Man City who bid 13m and Sunderland who bid 15m, due to other bids by Sunderland I accepted Man City and rejected Sunderland so it wouldn’t be cancelled.

13m Man City (6.5m in my kitty).

2.1.2 Babel
Offered for 10m, Sunderland bid for him. Not sure how much money they have so accepted this and rejected there bid for Benayoun in case they only want to buy one attacking midfielder.

10m Sunderland (5m in my kitty).

2.1.3 Voronin
Sunderland must want all my players cos they bid again, 5m. No one else bid. Personally I’d feel cheated if I paid 5m for Voronin then paid him 40k a week, Jones and Bent won’t fear for there starting roles!

5m Sunderland (2.5m in my kitty).

2.1.4 Aurellio
Offered for 4.5m, Man City bid for him, others offered Loans with Buy option but want the guaranteed money and him off the books.

4.5m Man City (2.25m in my kitty).

2.2 Purchases
2.2.1 van der Vaart
Transfer listed, quality player. Outstanding Technique, Passing, First Touch, Creativity and Flair make him my star playmaker. Not only that but great Long Shots with good Finishing and Composure (for a midfielder) he can add with goals. Rubbish defensively but that’s not going to be his role.

1.3m Fee with 7m Option. 50% of wages so only paying him 33.5k a week, a deal considering Voronin was paid 40k! Only 26 so will take up that option to make his stay permanent, will have to plan to make sure I have the funds at the end of the season.

2.2.2 Rossi
Former Man Utd player yet only 22. Sneaked under my radar until now when I was looking for an AMC / FC with good Technique, First Touch, Finishing, Passing and Creativity. Not only that but he has good Dribbling, Pace, Acceleration, Composure, Off The Ball, Flair and can take penalties.

He’s not aggressive or brave and can lose concentration so will have to watch out for him getting rough treatment and making mistakes. Doesn’t work hard or add anything defensively but he can play both the AMC and ST role perfectly so won’t be expected to.

He is only 22 so should improve his mental stats through experience.

For 13m and 45k per week wages he’s already an improvement in the AMC role over Benayoun whose sale funded the transfer but also adds depth at ST plus is 7 years younger!

Due to his previous English experience at Man Utd and coming from Spanish club Villarreal he can speak English and Spanish meaning no language problems so want him to learn from one of the world’s best all-round strikers, the Spaniard Torres.

2.2.3 Nainggolan
With 2 DMC, 1 MC and 2 AMC more depth was needed in midfield, especially in the Box-To-Box role. The current backups just are not good enough to step in if long term injuries hit.

Not outstanding in any way he had good Work Rate, Technique, Passing, Dribbling, Long Shots and Decisions but also has decent Tackling and Aggression so isn’t just an AMC like the previous purchases.

Hence I looked for someone cheap and young, at 21 costing only 2m and only £3400 per week he adds depth at about 5% of what Babel was being paid. Should be able to rest starting midfielders against the lower premiership teams and have him get some playing time but also be competitive.

Will have Gerrard mentor him, although the guy could probably talk to anyone at the club looking at the 7 languages he speaks.

2.2.4 Verratti
This AMC is only 16 but cost 170k so will be hard not to make a profit on him if not future starter/backup. Already has great Technique, Flair and Set Pieces (corners, free kicks, and penalties) but is also quite Aggressive and Determined. Hopefully will develop into the next Van der Vaart, doesn’t speak English so will get Aquilani to mentor him, they play the same position and both from Italy so makes sense.

2.3 Review
2.3.1 Players Yet to Sell
Interest in Riera has been slim, mostly Loan to Buy, I was after the guaranteed money rather than a maybe in a years time. Could get about 9m for him, which would be 4.5m in the kitty and 40k p/w off the wages that would all but confirm the permanent stay of Van der Vaart.

Will try to get some of the Loan’s to Buy bids back in, can at least get him off the books for the season and hopefully sell him to them or another club in the summer. Either that or try to retrain him for the centre as a backup and then sell in the summer.

Had some other interest in young reserve players but will keep them at least till January, no contract issues with them so will hopefully see some improvement (and value increase!).

2.3.2 Finances
Initial Transfer Funds: £2m.
Wages Spare: 40k p/w

Players Out: 4 for total of 32.5m (£16.25m went into purchase kitty, £16.25m into relieving the clubs debts).
Players In: 3 permanent plus 1 loan for total of 16.5m.

Current Transfer Funds: £2.86m
Wages Spare: 95k p/w.

2.3.3 Summary
Adjusting the balance means a max amount of nearly 6m is available. I need 7m to turn Van der Vaarts loan into a transfer so if I can get some money from Riera, even if its just a fee from Loaning him that’s it sorted unless the board screw me. Any competition money can then go on new players.

Pretty good if I say so myself, lowered wages, got rid of excess and older players whilst bringing in quality and depth with young players who can step in now.

Last edited:
if you are only going to play one up front then sell ngog.

youve got rossi, kuyt and pacheco to back torres up, probably in that order

Last edited:
pushing fees into the future by spreading the payment over a number of months will mean vastly reduced transfer budgets every year until the debt is paid to the other club. just to let you know :D

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

wouldnt it hav also been easier just to take a few screen shots rather than make those tables?

Already had the tables. I wanted to put my starting XI and backup XI down so I could see potential cup team and if I was lacking depth at any particular position, especially midfield with the 5 of them starting. Makes it easier for me to work out stuff like "if Lucus is injured should I start my backup DMC or move Gerrard there and play my backup MC?"

I'm also useless at remembering reserve players names or the less well known players at clubs. The first FM10 game I started was with Villa and didn't know how half of the midfield players play and didn't even know some of the names nevermind there reserve players.

Already had the tables. I wanted to put my starting XI and backup XI down so I could see potential cup team and if I was lacking depth at any particular position, especially midfield with the 5 of them starting. Makes it easier for me to work out stuff like "if Lucus is injured should I start my backup DMC or move Gerrard there and play my backup MC?"

I'm also useless at remembering reserve players names or the less well known players at clubs. The first FM10 game I started was with Villa and didn't know how half of the midfield players play and didn't even know some of the names nevermind there reserve players.

lol fair enough

Different layout and that was not a bad read at all. You do talk sense and I hope you keep this going :)

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 AM ----------

BTW Pacheco is quality. Have got a Liverpool game and he's scored 4 in 2 starts and 2 sub apps. Scared to overplay him though tbh.

Different layout and that was not a bad read at all. You do talk sense and I hope you keep this going :)

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 AM ----------

BTW Pacheco is quality. Have got a Liverpool game and he's scored 4 in 2 starts and 2 sub apps. Scared to overplay him though tbh.

hes young though, thats why i suggested him as back up.
in any case he'd definitely be above david 'the wonderflid' ngog in the scousers pecking order if i was boss

3. Pre-Season
3.1 Plan
3.1.1 Fitness
Get players up to fitness, this means running a “pre-season” coaching scheme which focuses more on Physical attributes to get Stamina up. Because of the extra physical training players condition will recover slower so might have to consider creating some gaps in the schedule (maybe reschedule) or just play a greater range of players.

Substitute players who started and reach 80% condition. If anyone gets a knock take them off.

3.1.2 Develop Tactic
Philosophy: Fluid.
Passing Style: Default
Creative Freedom: More Expressive
Closing Down: Default
Tackling: Default
Marking: Default
Crossing: Drill Crosses
Roaming: More Roaming

Whilst I like the formation and players in it I’m unsure of the Philosophy to use. I decided on Fluid as we have very creative forwards and very strong disciplined DC+DMC so want the fullbacks and supporting midfields to flow between them.

Without dominating Targetman style forward to go up and attack crosses I decided to use Drill Crosses and hope player can get a toe on it.

More Expressive so we can break up defences with the great technical + creative abilities of our attackers. More Roaming so the midfielders don’t always work in the middle but will find spaces outside and interact with the wingbacks.

Be patient with the tactic, the team hasn’t played together in months, never with me managing and there are a few new elements to introduce. They have to get used to my style of play and what is expected of them so I’m expecting a few mistakes but we outclass the preseason opposition even with our backups starting.

3.2 Games
FC Timisora 1 – 4 Liverpool
Already some great passing moves being displayed and lethal counter attacking.
4 Goals from Torres after only 32 minutes.
Assists by Insua, van der Vaart x2 and Gerrard.

Ross County 0 – 4 Liverpool
Rossi started in place of Torres and picked up where he left off getting a goal and two assists.
Goals by Lucas, Kuyt, Rossi and Torres.
Assists by Kuyt, van der Vaart and Rossi x2.

Melilla 0 – 5 Liverpool
From the kickoff Melilla were split open with Kuyt scoring from the edge of the box after N’Gog laid it up.
Goals by Kuyt, Verratti, Nainggolan, van der Vaart and Torres.
Assists by N’Gog x2, van der Vaart and Rossi x2.

Ponferradina 0 – 4 Liverpool
No let up after 4 games even mixing in some youth, this time Gerrard dominated getting two goal in the first half.
Goals by Gerrard x2, Nainggolan, van der Vaart.
Assists by Kuyt, N’Gog, van der Vaart and Johnson.

Alaves 0 – 4 Liverpool
In the final friendly it was shooting frenzy with 22 shots, 7 long range and 6 clearcut. Goals by Lucas x2, Rossi and Verratti.
Assists by Dossena, Gerrard, van der Vaart and N’Gog.

3.3 Review
Thrashed teams even with the backups playing as expected although honestly I’m surprised how easy things were and how the moves flowed from the first game.

Good passing breaking giving great chances to the forwards and AMCs plus MC who are running from deep, and if they don’t clear it well or we can’t break through we have 4 attacking players who are great at long shots, some stunners were scored in pre-season.

I think the tactic is working well and with the first two games at home against Burnley then Sunderland I don’t see why I would change the style from Attacking from kickoff. After them its away at Old Trafford… the first real test.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

4. August
4.1 Preparing For The Season
Training is changed from Pre-Season regime to positional training, the higher physical training should help in the long run with fitness but now its time to get players improving for there positions.

4.2 Burnley
4.2.1 Pre-Match
The real games have begun, after convincing wins in all the friendly games it should be a nice warm up against a new member of the premiership, Burnley.

4.2.2 Match
After soaking up pressure for 32 minutes Burnley concede through a touch of magic by Rossi, received the ball just outside the opponents D, with his back to goal he controls it and turns in one motion, letting a curling powerful shot go into the bottom left corner.

It’s quickly made into two as Gerrard plays Torres through the middle and he beats the keep 1 on 1 as he enters the penalty area.

Just before half time Torres is injured whilst Jensen makes a brilliant double save. N’Gog replaces him at striker.

In the 56th minute N’Gog scores with his head from a corner, Burnley should be better at set pieces than that!

At least they get a consolation goal, a free kick into the top corner leaving Reina no chance.

4.2.3 Post Game
Opening game of the season at Anfield ends 3-1.
Man of the Match: Rossi
A goal and an assist causing problems with his runs, covering 8.1km whilst not known for his work rate is impressive.

4.3 Sunderland
4.3.1 Pre-Match
3 Days later its Sunderland and what feels like half my rejects! I check to see if they made any more moves in the market and its only a young 21 year old DM/AM on a Loan to Buy.

The look good in midfield but play a 4-4-1-1, a ST and AM surrounded by my two DC and two DMC should be enough. There defence is weak and lacks pace, should be a good day for my attackers.

Thankfully Torres is fine but is benched due to condition, Rossi moves to striker and Kuyt starts at AMCr with an Inside Forward Role.

4.3.2 Match
The scoring starts early, moving the ball from defence its one touch football from Gerrard to van der Vaart sets Rossi off on a run, drawing defenders to him he tee’s up Kuyt for a shot from the edge of the box that flies into the top right corner.

20 minutes later and Babel is caught in possession just outside his own box by Rossi, a simple pass sets up a Gerrard rocket that leaves Gordon no chance as it flies into the same corner as Kuyts shot.

Straight after half time careful build up play from the midfielders gives Gerrard a bit of space and he lets another one fly from 30 yards into the top right corner.

Whilst possession is quite even Sunderland they only manage 2 shots on target all game, the game ends 3-0.

4.3.3 Post Game
3-0 is a fair scoreline, Sunderland never threatened and it could have been worse for them.
Man of the Match: Gerrard. 2 stunning goals and dominated midfield.

4.4 Manchester United
4.4.1 Pre-Match
Finally a real game, against the Premiership Champions, so how to play against them?

Looking at there form they played Chelsea in the Community Shield which Chelsea Won 1-0. They then played each other again in the first premiership game and drew 1-1. The next game was against Burnley which they won 5-1. Chelsea play through the middle with a narrow formation like we do which is promising.

Injured Players? Van Der Sar, Vidic, Rafael and Evra are all out, Hargreaves and Scholes are also unlikely to play. This means the defence is seriously weakened, and don’t offer much when going forward. I should be able to pressure them all game and not let them get forward limiting there attacking options. If they push forward only Brown and Ferdinand have real pace to run with my attackers.

Man Utd have purchased Mirko Vucinic and they play him in LM, looking to cut in with his dribbling and finishing skills and preference for Right Foot Only. If I force him on his left he will be ineffective with his left foot only good to stand on and poor crossing ability.

I’m going to attack from the start, switch to High Pressing and Man Marking. Finally the referee has 1 game and 1 yellow, so I’m going Hard Tackling.

4.4.2 Match
KICK OFF.
Man Utd kick off and look to play Rooney through down the flank, Mascherano intercepts and plays it forward to Torres who controls it instantly and taps it to Rossi. Rossi centers the ball to Gerrard whos racing forward. He instantly plays Torres through who shoot from just inside the box but hits the side netting.

20 Minutes in the first goal.
Ferdinand clears a long ball, Lucas wins 50/50 with Rooney and plays a simple ball forward to van der Vaart who knocks if first time to Torres. On the edge of the box his first touch is perfect and with the second his fires it into the bottom left, keeper never moves.

29 minutes, penalty!
Liverpool on the counter attack have 4 on 4 with 3 more support closing in quicker than the slow low work rate Man Utd players. Torres is put through by Lucas, on the 6 yard box Evans hacks him down… but only gets a yellow! Van der Vaart steps up and scores his first competitive Liverpool goal!

2-0 at Old Trafford at Half Time.

I decide to switch from Attacking to Counter, try to bring the Man Utd line up and use my attackers pace to counter attack.

Free Kick at Edge of the Box
Straight after Half Time, Park wins a free kick in a dangerous position, a clear dive says the commentator. That doesn’t stop Giggs scoring a perfect free kick into the top corner. 2-1 and the game is back on!

I switch back to attacking, Man Utd fullbacks are staying put and aren’t pushing too far up the field, I’m not going to be able to counter attack and my AMC are being wasted too deep.

Pressure.
For the next 20 minutes I dominate field position and possession creating chance after chance, Mascherano and Lucas recycling possession leaving the DC’s little to do. In the 73rd minute a simple move from Rossi bringing the ball forward through the midfield, tapping it to Torres playing with his back to goal holding up the ball before flicking it out to Johnson on the wing. A short run and quick pass to Rossi who continued his run plays a first time ball on the run to Gerrard, controls with his left and powers the ball into the top left corner from the edge of the box. 3-1.

The final 20 minutes presents a few chances as we dominate possession. Man Utd change to the 4-2-4 but I keep playing Attacking so LB and RB are playing more like wingers. My two DC’s and two DMC’s dominate, DCs and sweeper keep getting the through balls, DMC’s getting the shorter balls and recycling it straight back into dangerous positions.

4.4.3 Post Game
FINAL SCORE AT OLD TRAFFORD
MAN UTD 1 – 3 LIVERPOOL.
Man of the Match: Gerrard.

Infront of record attendance of 76212 he worked his socks off running 8.7km, playing key passes, making key tackles and headers, deservedly rewarded with a goal.

After the game Ferguson hails the Gerrard show, but does his usual and criticised the penalty given against them.

4.5 Wolves
4.5.1 Pre-Game
The 29th of August, the final game of the month. And in Wolves last premiership game = Burnley beat them… not a good result.
Ebanks-Blake has pace to burn so will have to watch how much space there is behind my DC’s, but the pitch is 100x64 so on the small side which will help.

With my next game, Chelsea not until the 12th of September I’ll be playing my starters, although I have noticed a couple of backups have went from Match Fit to Severely lacking in match fitness so I might swap 1 into the starting team and make sure I get the others on once the game is won.

4.5.2 Match
Well I’m amazed, Ebanks-Blake isn’t even in the team, instead they have come out in a 4-1-4-1 leaving Kevin Doyle upfront on his own, extra instructions to Tight Mark and Close Down Always are given. I tell the team I expect a win, because who wouldn’t even if I’m away…

First chance to Rossi after only a couple of minutes, great movement and passing gets him free on edge of the box and places his shot at the bottom corner but its saved.

After 6 minutes Torres is put through on goal with a simple ball over the top whilst countering a corner, the keeper again saves. From the resulting corner the pressure is kept up after a poor clearance and Torres this time hits the post!

Half time, both van der Vaart and Lucas have picked up knocks and aren’t playing well. It’s pouring down so I think I need a bit more brute force so decide to move Gerrard to DMC in place of Lucas and bring on Nainggolan to fill the MC role. Rossi moves into van der Vaarts role and Kuyt comes on into AMCr.

Lee’s feedback says our long passes are doing well and we are comfortable in possession so I will play more direct passes.

The second half starts better but no real chances are created, Wolves aren’t doing anything either so I go all out with Overload and using the Touchline Instruction to look for the overlap.

Finally the pressure tells in the 80th minutes when the old scouser Carragher gets his head on a corner at the near post and puts us 1-0 up. We return to attacking style to keep the play in the opponents half and keep creating chances as Wolves try to push players forward for the first time all game.

4.5.3 Post Game
Wolves 0 – 1 LIVERPOOL.
Man of the Match: Carragher.

A good result but disappointing performance, average rating of only 7.08, so many chances missed that should of made it easy.

Van der Vaart is fine. Lucas is out for about a week.

After that performance and with the next game away at Chelsea things aren’t looking so easy. Was it big players not getting themselves motivated for the game? Maybe should play more backups against smaller teams. Lets hope the big players stand up and be counted in the next game.

Last edited:
a very different layout, this is good for people to refer to if doing a story

Well done mate, great result against United :p