Liverpool told to buy Asian stars

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 40
  • Views Views 3K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Liverpool should sign Asian football stars to take advantage of commercial opportunities on the continent, according to the club's sponsor.

More...

Hardly told to buy them, saying "The real power Liverpool could do for us, and for the Premier League, is if there was a way they could nurture foreign players from Asia,"
As it is, we have fantastic fan base in Asia.
But lee Chung Yong <3

Honda would be nice.

Hopefully Australians count as Asian as well.

Austrailia is Oceania, Correct me if Im wrong

But I think in football terms they count as Asian, considering they take part in the Asia Cup. Dunno though.

-.- They just have to be special dont they.

Inter have a South Korean Defender who is apparently decent, Honda obviously, brave shout but Park Ji-Sung anybody?

Honda would be lovely. Heard good things about Hamburg's Son Heung-Min although he'd be a risk and would be pricey.

Aren't Austalia in the Oceania qualifying section for the World Cup though?

Inter have a South Korean Defender who is apparently decent, Honda obviously, brave shout but Park Ji-Sung anybody?

That is brave considering what Fergie was like with Heinze I dont think it would happen

No, you know what Ferguson is like.

Australia is an Asian country? No offence but they don't fit in like the rest of us..

You'd be half right Sam, He is Asian and plays for Inter, but he's Japanese.

Yuto Nagatomo, on loan from Cesena, Left back, played well against Cagliari when I watched it.

Your aerial threat will go right out the window!

/stereotype_win

But I think in football terms they count as Asian, considering they take part in the Asia Cup. Dunno though.
Yeah we are part of the Asian confederation. It only happened after the 2006 WC because we wanted to compete against stronger countries. Another reason was we have more qualifying spots to play for, because in Oceania there is only a half spot, so there was a play off - usually with a South American team.

Australia is an Asian country? No offence but they don't fit in like the rest of us..
No offense but there are enough Asians living in Australia for us to count. (K)

Shinji Kagawa amyone?
Oi. Hands off. :P

Last edited:
1. You would get less WC spots if Australia isn't in it. The gulf between the top 3 teams in Asia and the rest is massive. As was proven in the Asian Cup. You would lose the 4th and maybe the 3rd qualifying spot if Australia wasn't in it on current rankings. You would have a hard time convincing FIFA to keep all the WC qualifying spots on current form. FIFA is just itching to give one more to CONCACAF to make sure the US always qualify.
2. And why is it no-one complains Russia isn't in the AFC despite being 90% in Asia geographically. I would also look at a person from the Gulf states and have an extremely hard time identifying them as Asian yet they seem to get a free pass. They don't seem to fit in the typical Asian stereotype.

The whingers can can moan all they like. Australia in the AFC benefits Asian football. And funnily enough it's not the Japanese or the South Koreans or even the Saudi's complaining . It's the teams that get thrashed 5-0 by anyone semi-competent that seem to complain the loudest

Last edited:
Back