Living up the Dream or a Reality Check? Dobrudzha 1919 Story

insanity

Reaction score
Living up the Dream or a Reality Check? Dobrudzha 1919 Story

View attachment 222540

Istanbul, the Summer of 2011
View attachment 222541
Manager of the Year Won by a 25 Years Old Foreigner

The 25 years old Ilknur IBRYAM from Bulgaria won the manager of the year. His leadership over management approach and his work in the tourism area gave him enough to impress the main investors in the country. Despite the growing number of tourists visiting Turkey chose to stay with either friends or relatives, he found a way to make them still spend for accommodation...

However, Ilknur IBRYAM said he wants to go back to his country for a new challenge and work there. "I want to thank my friends Bora Ozturk and Orhan Guller for introducing me to the tourism in Turkey and giving me this huge chance". Bora Ozturk is the son of on of the directors in Galatasaray S.K. and according to Ilknur Ibryam is the person who gave him the opportunity to manage his business.

View attachment 222546

A Dobrich Citizen Wins Manager of the Year in Turkey

Ilknur Ibryam won the prestigious award yesterday. According to the Turkish media he is willing to go back and work in his country. The predictions are that he will be appointed in the local agricultural business or will replace the main director in KK Albena, the leading tourism company. Some investors are linking him with the new gas industry that is growing the area. However there are rumors Ilknur loves the football and will follow his grandfather's steps in the local Dobrudzha 1919.

"Oh, God! What a wonderful weekend. I just want to pack and prepare for my flight tomorrow. Hopefully I will find something to do back in my country. The corruption is the main problem I will have to fight. At least Inter and Milan are playing for the Italian Super Cup final and there will be some entertainment when I arrive."

Dobrich, The home town story

Home, sweet home! I love this place and my little house. This is the place where I grew up and this small yard is where me and my grandfather started with the football. I wish he was still with us to play some 1-2s.

Oh, I haven't yet entered the house and my mobile rings. Ivaylo Georgiev calls me. He is 24 footballer who is currently unemployed. A good friend with whom we have shared so much on the football field and outside of it.

- Hey, buddy it's Ivo. Tonight my favorites, Milan, play and me and some guys from the team are going out at Izida's restaurant to watch the game. Wanna join?
- Yes, of course! Let me just unpack, take a shower and I am ready.
- Cool, the guys want to meet you. You are the new star in the town. Everyone is talking about you. I am going to grab you with the car at 8pm. And hey, get a nice suit! There will be some hot girls in the place.

The old, Ivo. I wonder why he is not employed. He is athletic, he is confident with the girls and with the ball, he is creative and plays well defensively, the perfect Central Midfielder for the scouts. Oh well, there are a lot of problems in the local football, I guess.

The guys are wonderful, there are few good looking girls with us and the game is very interesting. A classic Italian football, a philosophy with which I grow up - tactical, physical play and every goal is unique, because the extremely good way the Italians play in defense. I was only 10 years old when my grandfather was explaining me the Catenaccio and the new Zona Mista and how I as a forward should deal with such a defensive approach. How to drop deep in order to lose the tracking of a man marking defender. How to fake my offensive moves, cut inside and look to move into channels in order to deal with the Zonal Marking.

On the half time the guys asked me to make an analyses of the game. I was famous with my tactical knowledge when I was playing in my teen years. Even our coach, Valentin Peychev was impressed and often asked me for advice and help him with the tactical coaching. "Go, captain, explain us what both teams should do", they were asking me.

I just started explaining the guys why Inter are struggling to hold the ball and the impressive Milan pressing, when we were interrupted: "Hey guys, how is the game?", an old business man approached us and everyone froze. "Just do not stay up to very late, we have a pre season going on. Who is the new guy?", he asked. "It's Ilknur Ibryam. He was the youth captain 10 years ago. He also won the manager of the year award in Turkey, few days ago", said a friend. The man was not impressed at all. Who was he? Why everybody froze? "This is Velichko Naydenov, the chairman of our club, the owner of this sport complex", Ivo said when the man was far.

"This is my chance. I need to go there and speak to this person. I have a solution for our local team and how this man can make a successful business. As Steven Covey says in his The 7 Habits of Highly Effective people, if you want a job you need a proactive approach and sell a solution, this is how you get the good job. I went to the there confident. I used a Neuro-Linguistic approach to remember when they were announcing my name for the manager of the year in order to gain confidence. Introduced myself and sat on their table."

- I have a solution for your business, gentlemen. I can make FK Dobrudzha not only bring back its own reputation and its positions in "A" Group, but with me you can go further. I can write history with this team.
- You are very confident but cocky, son. What do you understand from football?, Velichko Naydenov asked me.
- I know this guys. His grandfather was working for us as a youth coach and he was playing for us, but got injured", said another man from the table. This was Valentin Vasilev, I remembered. He is living in the neighborhood and is an owner of the local most famous night club. Later I understood that he the Director of FK Dobrudzha.
- Yes, I have heard about him too. My newspaper wrote an article about him recently. He won the manager of the year award in Turkey. My journalists were impressed from the guy. They even called him The Golden Boy!, said another man from the table. This was the managing director Roman Georgiev.
- Ok, son. We are in a business meeting now, but tomorrow morning come to my office. Our head coach is not living the standards with our business project and we are looking for a new manager. However you need to impress me! We have a lot of managers that are in our range!, Velichko Naydenov finished.

"This is all I needed. I went back home, prepared a cup of coffee and sat down preparing my presentation. After hours of researches I was ready. It was 5 am and I needed some sleep. I had to be ready for my appointment at 10. This was my chance! Could a dream come trough? All was depending on me!"

The Journey Begins

View attachment 222550

I went to the office and Mr.Naydenov was expecting me. He was also expecting me to impress him.
- Do you know what is the main problem, sir? Our club never had a manager that knows how to market the club and handle the media, that knows how to deal with the finances and that knows how to head coach in the same time. This club needs a leader, someone that knows how to put the first things first, someone that can look for the problem inside-out. I guess you have been blamed a lot of times about not providing enough funds for better players, haven't you? Let me present you my approach...

Mr.Naydenov was satisfied and it was obvious from his enthusiasm when he was listening to me. He was interrupting me all the time to say how he shares my opinion and that is exactly his vision about the club.

- But that is not all, sir. I am here to bring trophies. This is how we are going to make money out of football.
- But there are no money in the Bulgarian football, son.
- I am not talking about our football. I am talking about our team fighting in the Champions League.
- You are very ambitious, son. I am appointing you as a Manager. You can rely on full support of the club's board. In terms of your contract I am going to give you a deal until Jun 2013 worth $375 per week.
- But I am going to need to reshape the team structure.
- Staff members from the previous regime have been retained, but they will all accept the mutual termination should you wish to bring in your own coaching staff. I am going to give you a transfer budget of $62.8K and your payroll will be 3.9k p/w. Our previous manager spend too much the last season guaranteeing us a promotion, but he did not. This is why I am giving you a mid table finish budget, but I expect much more from such an ambitious person.

Last edited:
Dobrudzha 1919 Introduction

"Let me introduce you our background.", Mr.Naydenov said.
View attachment 222551

"This is our stadium"
View attachment 222561View attachment 222562View attachment 222563View attachment 222564

"Let me meet you with your staff"
View attachment 222565

"My assistant coach Krastev took me from there. We made a brief staff meeting and he wanted to introduce me to the team. They were in the middle of a tactical training".
View attachment 222566View attachment 222567

"After that Mr.Krastev took me to his office and presented me a report of our best players"

View attachment 222568

Pavlin Todorov - Striker (Poacher)
A 27 years old Striker that posses a fair amount of speed. He lacks the technique behind the ball, but his ability to enjoy the big matches might be an important factor for our team. I know the guy from the neighborhood where we have played numerous of matches when we were kids. He is very light-hearted and jovial character.

View attachment 222571

Nedko Angelov - attacking mid/striker
Nedko is a 25 years old Attacking Mid, who also posses a fair amount of speed. How ever his imagination and creativity makes him more of trequartista rather than a poacher. We know each other from the kinder garden where we played football as kids. Nedko has a very professional attitude.

Mladen Dimitrov - central defender
Mladen is young central defender only 24 years old, who is very good in the air according to my assistant. However the player's lack of speed can hinder him in certain situations.

I noticed I have a couple of friends and ex team mates in the team. The Goal Keeper, Nikolay Markov, and the defensive mid, Yavor Kolev, were players I have played with in the youth team 10 years ago.

"My scout, Mladenov, also joined the meeting and gave me few scout reports. I was going to need his services, because I was not happy with the team. Our boss also came and told me to prepare to meet the media, because he had just announced that the team has a new manager"

Press Conference Stadium Druzhba

They finally showed me my new office. I needed some preparation for the press conference. Meanwhile I watched the games between Serbia-Turkey and Kazakhstan-Bulgaria. Valentin Iliev made an excellent performance for our national team. Such defenders I needed in my squad in order to reach my goals.

Press Conference

Velichko Naidenov:

I am pleased to welcome our new manager, Ilknur Ibryam. He is a local guy that has played for our youth team a decade ago and he recently had a successful carrier abroad and as the most of you know he won the manager of the year in Turkey this year. He is still young, so please do not be very harsh with our boy.

Tomislav Rusev(Journalist):
You sit here as the new manager of Dobrudzha 1919. Is this your dream job?​

Ilknur IBRYAM

I am absolutely delighted, that is a dream come trough for me.

Tomislav Rusev(Journalist):

How involved do you inted to be in day-to-day running of the club?

Ilknur Ibryam

I am going to reshape this club from top to bottom. However I will apply a leader role also, which means my staff will be involved heavily.

Eurosport:

Some coaches are famous for their hands-on approach, other maintain a more reserved manner with their players. How do you see your leadership style?

Ilknur Ibryam

Some of the players are already friends of mine. I want every player to know that he can come to me with everything.

Vesko Valchev (Journalist)

What can we expect from you on the transfer market?

Ilknur Ibryam

I will make sure all of my signings are a result of a thorough scouting and extensive deliberation.

Tomislav Rusev (Journalist):

What would you say is your tactical approach of the game?

Ilknur Ibryam

Tactical approach depends on your players in the squad. I prefer an attacking football, but judging by our current squad we will need to build a solid foundation, so a good defense will be paramount in my thoughts.

Vesko Valchev (Journalist):

You have taken charge when it is widely expected that Pavlin Todorov will leave the club. Can you hold on to him? Do you want to?

Ilknur Ibryam

Pavlin is a friend of mine and I will do everything I can to keep him in the club. He is a key player for the club and I am sure my appointment as a manager will make him stay here.

Tactical approach

View attachment 222644

It was late already and I decided to go back home. What a tiring day. But this was just the beginning I had to evaluate my squad and my players and decide my tactical approach. I grabbed all the books I have and started reading. I went trough reading about http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ic-discussion-creation-centre-hints-tips.html. First in my scoop was http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-training/84636-might-magic%99-raikan007.html, however I did know I lack the magic. Then suddenly maxi67's http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...5252-recreation-tactic-catenaccio-libero.html came to my hands. Yes that is it! I have good Center backs, I have a star poacher and enough fantasy in the mid. View attachment 222647

I had so much in my mind going on. We could need a parent club, but would my board accept my proposal? I had to evaluate my staff I still needed to watch our first training, then look for some players... I did not realize when I fall asleep.

Training Day

View attachment 222679"New day, new challenge", I thought. While driving to the stadium I stopped to get a the local newspaper. On the sport pages there was a short article about my appointment with the tittle Ibryam Promises Open Door Policy. I was a bit disappointed because it was not a good enough PR for the club, but happy that there will not be a lot of pressure on me from the media in the beginning of my carrier. Also our job will be less interesting for the rest teams fighting for a promotion.

It was the first day with my team on the training field. In order to evaluate my staff also I let them take over the guys. I wanted to see if their methods were close to my own. Unfortunately, the staff was using very old training systems, which were noneffective. I was not happy with the training process. On top of that it was obvious that we have just 5-6 players that were good enough to battle for promotion this season. I needed to reshape this team from top to bottom.

I went to the board room with my first requests:

1) I want expanded coaching to increase the specialization in the training process!
The board said it is impossible if we want to keep the pay roll budget stable. I had to agree with them. Then I told them that I will bring my own staff and I would like everyone's contract to be terminated, but I wanted them for tomorrow's day to say goodbye to the guys, because most of them were ex players of the teams. Especially Svetoslav Krastev who was the team's captain for several years. However no one knew what I had in my mind with that move.

2) We will need a parent club to loan some players. Our squad is very poor.
They refused. "A club with our reputation can not afford to be a feeder club". I started a debate saying how financially beneficial it would be. I pointed out how our club was using links with teams like Litex, Spartak Varna and many more in the past and how we then made some successful loans with players like Milen Petkov, Svetoslav Todor, club legends. After few minutes we agreed that having a parent club is not a shame but a necessary step for the future.

After the meeting I went to my office. I had to find new staff and with the limited coach numbers the task was getting harder. I called our newspaper to place and advertisement, but I knew it was useless. I made a few calls to my connections and I did even few calls to Turkey from where I received a recommendation for an assistant manager. Slavcho Stoilov according to my sources was my perfect choice. Currently employed as a youth coach at Levski-Rakovski. He was described as determined, disciplined, with excellent fitness coaching and defending coaching skills, a born manager and a person that works very well with the youngsters. I immediately contacted him and he was exited about the job proposal. He accepted in a very low wage price and told me that he will help me with finding the rest of the staff I need. We spend the rest of the day on the phone looking for coaches and scouts. By the end of the day I had my assistant manager, 3 coaches, 1 goalkeeping coach and 2 scouts travelling to Dobrich.
View attachment 222680

Meanwhile I looked at our match program. Our pre-season friendlies we poor. We were up against 4 unknown teams. I called a dozen of teams to arrange some friendly matches. I needed the team gelled before the season starts and what a better way than playing a lot of games. Surprisingly, a lot of team agreed to visit us without a fee and it was a good opportunity to gain some money out of nothing. Obviously the old connections with teams like Litex and Beroe were still good, which made me happy. That was one proactive day in which I did a lot.

Last edited:
The Real Deal

I woke up early and I was the first in the office. I had to prepare my motivating speech today, introduce my new training methods to my new coaching staff and introduce them to the guys. Also I had to fire my old staff. I made a staff meeting to tell them the bad news and I asked them to come to the training field and say goodbye to the guys. Then my new enthusiastic staff came. I told the scouts to prepare me presentations about their scout reports and come for the team practice to evaluate together the current players. With the new coaches we went on the training field where I presented them my tactic, my preseason schedule and their role in the exercises I wanted to do. At first they were confused but slowly they understood how effective this approach was.

The players came and my old staff went to say goodbye to the guys. A truly emotional moment, but this change was needed. I introduced the new coaching staff and began with my speech:
"Do you know why they are leaving? They were not disciplined, motivated and determined enough to be in this club. My job here and my dream is to make this club one of the most successful ones in Bulgaria and I will not tolerate anyone who does not share my ambitions. First we will start with your numbers. Every attacking mid's number will end with 10 in the back, for example 10, 20, 30. Our sweepers will have 3 in the end, for example 3, 13, 23".
- I don't understand a ****! - said the confused Pavlin Todorov.
- Do not worry buddy you will understand! - I answered and trew him the shirt with number 9...

The practice was very good. Everyone understood that in this way we will have results. As later Nedko Nedev would say in an interview "I was amazed of the new exercises and the new approach Ilknur Ibryam took in our training!"
View attachment 222681

Player Scouting

After the practice the whole staff gathered again to evaluate the team. We concluded that with these players we are not going to win a promotion this season. I was offered to sell some deadwood or even terminate their contracts, but I did not agree. We were in a need of every player we have.

The scouts presented me their suggestions and were convincing my why we need the said players. It was an intensive debate, but we did call some managers and offered their clients contracts. I also contacted my unemployed friends - Ivaylo Georgiev, Dobromir Bonev and Gospodin Gospodinov and offered them trials. I needed a friendly atmosphere in the club and even if they were not ready to play football for the club they would have been models in the practices and in the same time they could have get into some scouts range and find another club - a win-win situation.

Reality Check

The day was very long and I needed to relax a bit for the night. I invited my ex girlfriend, who I left when going to Turkey, to go for a couple of drinks. We went to the local Bacardi club and... I was shocked I saw few of my players drunk in the club. They did not even leave when they saw me and some of them were smoking. What a lack of discipline! These guys were not professional at all and I needed to take some measures. I would have place them all on the transfer list and offer them to clubs in the next morning.

really lyk this mate eagerly lookin forward to the next update

this is too cool mate, voting for you right now for story of the week :)

Pre Season

View attachment 222766And this is how everything started. We were in a hot pre season. The weather was very hot for heavy cardio and physical exercises and it costed us numbers of injuries. However the players did not give up, a new determined atmosphere could be felt on the training field. Even the injured Pavlin Todorov was running with the guys on the field. Some of the younger player and these on part time contract were complaining about the heavy pre season and I had to review few contracts. My young defender Mladen Dimitrov was happy to sign a full time contract.

View attachment 222755

Transfers

We did not buy or sell any players. I had a transfer budged of $50k, but I wanted to save club's money. As I promised in an interview I wanted to build a solid defense. I trusted Red Auerbach's quote "The defense makes the champion".

This is when my new signings Predrag Pazin, Svetoslav Georgiev and Nikolay Panov came no one was surprised, but everyone was excited

View attachment 222756

Predrag Pazin - 38 years old Sweeper/Defender center was a real role model for my team. He has 32 international caps for the national team and I was really planing to use his experience in the field and outside of it. Predrag was also a good free kick taker and a penalty taker and I knew that in the lower leagues you need someone who can score in such occasions. I even appointed him as a vice-captain because of his high influence and determination.

View attachment 222757

Svetoslav Georgiev - 34 years old universal defender was the hit of the season. He is another well known defender and I stole his sign among teams like Spartak Varna, Slavia, Pirin and many others. My main move was that I promised him a long term contract and the captain role in the team. He was also very influential and determined character.

View attachment 222761

Nikolay Panov - was a player who we spend a lot of time researching. He was relatively unknown but all the scouts were saying that he would be a decent signing even for the most A Group teams.

After training for awhile with the team my friends Dobromir Bonev and Ivaylo Georgiev rejected contract offers. They informed me they were done with the football. Dobromir has just inherit his father businesses and Ivo was called as a fashion model for a famous agency. However Gospodin Gospodinov was not finished yet. And he did some really amazing matches in the pre-season winning the man of the match a couple of times.

Other names I signed were the young Attacking Mid, Zhulien Parushev, the Anchorman, Krasimir Chomakov, and the defensive winger, Georgi Hristov who was getting a lot of jokes, because his name was absolutely the same with a famous pop singer.

Matches

We were not convincing at all in the pre season friendlies. I was trying to apply a control strategy and it resulted in a lot of goals conceded. Obviously, I had to tweak the strategy a bit, because the players were not ready to control the game. They still needed to do this paradigm change that they are winners and they should control the games.

View attachment 222765

I applied a counter strategy and we finished with the pre-season training. Everyone was appointed an individual training using the great coach http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ics-training/84281-duncs-training-fm2012.html and the result came quickly - our last 4 matches were very promising. We barely lost to the ex A group champion, Litex and we draw against the promotion favourites, Spartak Varna. Everyone could feel the new wave of optimism among the players.

View attachment 222767 A picture of our midfieldier, Vasilev, against Litex (Lovec)!

Finances

We did not calculated very well the pay roll budged and the club recorded a small loss, however everyone was content with it. On the bright side our friendlies gathered a lot of fans and it was a good marketing move from our side. We sold a lot of season tickets. Unfortunately, the board could not find a parent club, which was going to cause us troubles financially and with the strength of the squad.

The first match

Our first match was against our fierce rival and promotion favourites, Spartak Varna. We recorded a draw against them few weeks ago, but according to the Sky-Bet we were the underdogs here, despite out home advantage. The fans absolutely hate losing against Sokolite and everyone was nervous. I had to come up with a very good pep-talk in order to grab the win in this match. The good news here was that we were fully prepared for the match with an amazing defensive positioning.

Stadium Drujba Press Conference

Eurosport

Preparation is everything in soccer these days and you may feel you know what to expect from Spartak Varna. Can you see them employing any tactical surprises?

Ilknur Ibryam

I could name you their starting 11 if you wanted!

Eurosport

Are you exited about the start of the season, Mr.Ibryam?

Ilknur Ibryam

It is great to finally get underway - I ve been looking forward to this moment.

Tomislav Rusev (Journalist)

You had the off-season to prepare your side and all that is left is to kick off the campaign. Are you confident that your side are ready?

Ilknur Ibryam

We had a great pre-season, We are fully prepeared and confident of a win.

Starting 11 and Pep Talk

After the press conference I was going to our dress room. The pep talk was in my head, while I remembered that we have also huge injure problems. Our star player Pavlin Todorov was still injured, although trying to play some mind games, I said on the press conference that he is up and ready for the match. My Left Attacking Mid was also injured. The questions in mind were too much. Should Nedko Nedev play as a forward in a poacher role, or should I get some of the kids from the youth team? Who should start as an Attacking Mid center and left - Gospodin Gospodinov or Nedko Nedev? I had 2 good deep playmakers...

I went to the dressing room and when I saw how the guys are watching me I had to get myself together. Their eyes were full with expectations. Everyone wanted to hear my instructions and my pep talk. I called my staff for a quick pre-match meeting and last advises. In half an our we were ready and we went to talk to the players. "... and remember go out there and enjoy yourself tonight, guys. We are underdogs here and no one expects us to get a result. And I am sure if you play your natural game you are capable of a win". I could see their relaxed faces.

The Game

The game was starting and the fans were nervous. Gospodin Gospodinov made the first touch and the ball went to our deep playmaker who passed to the enthusiastic Nedko Nedev. He saw our poacher, Slavomir Iliev, moving into a channel betwen their LB and CD. It seemed that Sokoli were still asleep and confident of a win. Slavomir took the ball and run inside the penalty area towards the out line to look for a cross. He found the space and crossed the ball to the feet of Gospodin Gospodinov who was near the penalty kick. Gospodinov showed composure and it was 1-0 for us in the 40th second of the match. The fans were chanting Gospodinov's name.

But this was not all! Our anchorman blocked a pass and gave a long ball to Nedko Nedev, who quickly found Gospodin Gospodinov. Spartak players did not expect our quick tempo and were not tracking Gospodinov. He abused the space cut inside and shoot. GOAL! 2-0! Second goal for Gospodinov in three minutes.

Spartak Varna were shocked. They were trying to decrease our lead and created some chances but my defenders were calm and were able to make some important clearances. In the 45th my deep playmaker Dimitar Vasilev got the ball and saw how our poacher is running into a channel. A killer ball was needed. Dimitar had nothing to lose and tried. The pass was a bit long but Slavomir Iliev showed some speed and got the ball in front of the keeper. They were 1 on 1 and Slavomir showed composure to make it 3-0.

Half time and guys were going to the dressing room happy. I did not want to change anything. The game was flowing for us and no changes were needed. I told them passionately "I am happy with your performance, keep up the good job".

The second half started nervously. Spartak were trying everything to score as soon as possible, but my team were stopping them passionately. We good booked twice and I shouted to the players to get to a counter attacking strategy and to avoid hard tackling. However at 59th minute Nikolay Iliev got a second yellow and a red card. I was forced to make a couple of changes in order to balance the team on the field. Spartak started pressing harder and their backs started moving forward. Sokoli had their chances but my GK, Nikolay Markov, was excellent and safe a few long shots.

When everyone tough it is game over the nerves take place. Nedko Angelov took one ball 40 meters infront of the goal and was brutally fouled. Predrag Pazin was behind the ball. He was known for his killer shot. The next 10 seconds were magnificent. Predrag shot the Goalkeeper from 40 meters and did not give him a chance even to move. At the injury time we got a penalty kick for another stupid faul the defenders of Spartak made. Predrag scored again from "just 11" meters.

View attachment 222806

Final score Dobrudzha 1919 - Spartak (Varna) 5:0. The fans were ecstatic.

[video=youtube;1XMNGAOOyNc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XMNGAOOyNc[/video] This video includes a replay of Pazin's goal betwen 1st and 2nd minute :p

I told the guys passionately again that it was a good win for us. However watching the statistics it was obvious that we were extremely lucky. Spartak outplayed us everywhere as in the next day the newspaper would say "Spartak had more of the game, but were still in the wrong end", and a huge statistic proving that point. There was a press conference after the match but I do not remember anything from it. I was more focused on a question going in my head "Am I already living the dream or I would hit the reality soon"?.

Last edited:
Enjoying our football

Party time

Predrag saw my worried face in the parking and suggested me we with the whole team to the local clubs and enjoy the win. I knew it is a tradition for the Bulgarian players to do such things, but I wasn't very sure if this is a good move.
"Tonight we are going to party as a team, lads", Predrag shouted and everyone instantly replayed with a possitive shout.

View attachment 222918View attachment 222919View attachment 222920

The party was on fire and the guys were happy. I went to Predrag and told him I was very happy with his contribution today and his 40 meters goal from a free kick.
- Let me give you an advice, boss.
- I am listening.
- After the scandal with the national team, when their manager Lothar Matheus was trying to adapt a high discpline, but found some of the players in the clubs, every player in Bulgaria was ashamed. The fans were judging us when they see us partying. So let these guys know that we can party after a win and you will have a happier squad and even a motivated one.

I immediately went to the DJ and announced it. The guys were so happy that they grabbed me on their hands and were shouting "Dobrudzha!Dobrudzha!"

Tactical training

View attachment 222925
Next day I planned only a tactical training because of our small party. I expected some hangover, but we couldn't slack. I had some problems with injuries and I had to decide them. We watched few games and key moments I had prepared of our next opposition, Neftohimik. I dismissed the team and kept only Filip Florov and Mihail Paskalev. Filip was some of the players I approached to sign few days ago, because of the injury of Nikolay Iliev, my first choice as a LWB. Filip was not very comfortable with that position, he was a natural LB and was accomplished the RB. We had few days training this new role for Filip and I wanted to give him some additional tips and particular advises for the player he had to mark at the next match.

Mihail Paskalev (Misho) was going to be picked as a substitute in the next match. He was young and out of contract, but his loyalty to the club was keeping him in the squad and he wanted just to train with us.
"Listen, I will get you in the group for the next match and you might have a chance to prove yourself and show me why you deserve a contract with us. If you do well, you will help me convincing the board to increase the pay-roll budged and you will be the first person I will sign". Misho was delighted.

20 Aug - Cherveno Zname, Burgas
View attachment 222926 View attachment 222927
Neftohimik (Burgas) vs Dobrudzha 1919 (Dobrich)

Prematch Press Conference Media Commentary: Ibryam shuns defensive mentality

Dobrudzha 1919 Dressing Room:
Neftohimik were favorites, especially when playing at home. The pressure among the players was high. I wanted to boost their confidence before this match and I was a bit cocky in the press conference. I decided to keep it simple and just wish them luck for the game. I went to Pavlin and Nedko and told them that I have faith in their abilities and I rely on them. They were happy.

Match

The first half started nervously. My players were trying to control the game but few times their wingers cough us off position which resulted in few yellow cards. In one of their counters their MR, Stamen Angelov, outrun the unconvincing Filip Florov, who was a bit forward than he should be and scored with a long shot. It was 1:0 for Naftata. Pavlin Todorov had few chances but being off the field for a while resulted in missed opportunities. His confidence was low.

The lads were back in the dressing room and I told them they were unlucky. Their body language showed that they reacted positively. I had to talk to Pavlin again, showing my faith in his ability.

The second half started with us being in control, despite playing away from home.

- Filip is not comfortable on the field and Neftohimik are pushing players forward. We might get a second goal. - my assistant adviced me.
- I have a brilliant solution for this. I was just waiting them to get in this trap!

Neftohimik were playing in a slow tempo and although they were trying to abuse the flanks they were reliant on their deep playmaker. I wanted to substitute Filip for a Defensive Midfielder.

"Come here Todor!", I shouted to my young Defensive Mid who was perfect for this Italian job. "Do you see their playmaker, Mitko Trendafilov (a famous Bulgarian player with a long carrier)? I want you to go and eat him. No matter how big his dig is, he is 41 years old. I want you to hassle him, I want you to breath his air, I want you to anticipate every pass they try to give him. No matter how deep he drops to get the ball you will track him. Seriously, I have a faith in your abilities! Now go and warm up, you will need to run a lot today!"

After the change the game turned around. Todor blocked one pass and passed shortly to Nedko who found Pavlin wandering in front of the penalty area. "Oh, God, he will try a long shot", I tought. "DON'T", I shouted, but Pavlin was in another opinion and later I would have explained him how I did not believe how he would have scored. It was 1-1.

"Go back to a counter strategy and be careful with the tackles! I don't want stupid fouls or a red card", I shouted from the touch line. We had a good result and I wanted to keep it. But my players did not agree. At 72nd minute Nedko and Pavlin made a quick one-two which gave enough space for Nedko to advance deeper and shoot. It was 2:1 for us already. I could not believe it, I was one of the happiest managers out there in the moment. This is why my final pep talk was that I am glad with their comeback.

Full Time: Neftohim - Dobrudzha 1919 1:2
Stadium Cherveno Zname
MoM:Nedko Angelov

View attachment 222954

Media

The Burgas Football Reviewer:Ilknur Ibryam is trilled with the comeback.
Stoichev (Neftohimik Head Coach): Ilknur is a good coach and I don't think he will have problem keeping Dobrudzha away from relegation.
Ilknur Ibryam: I am confident avoiding the relegation and I appreciate Dimitar Stoichev's comment.

20 Aug - Media: Record crowd expected at Stadium Druzhba for the Eastern B Group match between Dobrudzha and Chernomoretz Pomorie.

27 Aug - Stadium Druzhba, Dobrich

View attachment 222968View attachment 222969

Dobrudzha 1919 (Dobrich) vs Chernomoretz (Pomorie)

Dressing Room: Sky-Bet was predicting an easy win for Chernomoretz, but the whole club was not on the same page with them. "For the fans", I shouted and the guys went on the field ambitious to keep every fan for the next match too.

An early goal for Chernomoretz, however shun our enthusiasm. A horrible mistake in the passes between Predrag and Mladen made a present for the opponents forwards. The fans were not happy at all. However Pavlin brought their smiles and positive shouts when he scored with a header 20ish minutes later. There was nothing interesting untill the end of the half time.

"Guys, this time we need to slow down the tempo and play a shorter passing game. Move a bit wider but do not attempt long range passes, we need just to stretch their defense. Go out there and give the fans their money worth!".

This tactical change was the key and my players proved it. Pavlin Todorov scored a second goal 5 minutes into the second half. We played the ball around and Chernomoretz got nervous, which gave us few good free kick opportunities. Predrag Pazin was behind the ball for one of them but for the surprise of everyone, he crossed instead of taking a direct shot. Luckily Svetoslav Georgiev, our team's captain, knew about this and scored with a header. Later the other CB, Panov, scored with a header again in a corner kick situation.

Full Time: Dobrudzha 1919 - Chernomoretz 4:1
Stadium: Druzhba
Attendance: 383
MoM: Pavlin Todorov

View attachment 222977

Media Commentary:
Quality of possession more important than quantity

Dobrudzhanska Tribuna (Newspaper):
Ibryam satisfied with win

A Long Half Season

A New Tactic

The first few matches shaped the starting team and the players I am going to use. Despite the positives and the good results the team looked really weak. I was forced to think of a new tactic in order to increase our attacking power. The defense looked solid and I had cover, however in the mid and the attack we were really weak. The team lacked creativity, pace, finishing and composure.

My very best friend, Pavel Antonov, came to the city from Netherlands where he just graduated HAN University. Pavel was an HR expert, however his dream to become a famous DJ, made him also become a great researcher. I asked him to help me in researching and analyzing our strengths and weaknesses and decide what tactic we should use. I offered him a part time contract and together with our staff we came to the conclusion that applying a modern 4-5-1 will suit us best.

View attachment 248726

We developed an attacking slow tempo system, with the least possible creative freedom, our bad passing suggested that we should concentrate on short passing game. Despite lacking the pace and acceleration in the back we moved out D-line forward trusting on our defenders experience and mental skills to get the forwards in an offside trap.

Matches

Despite the good strategy we suffered 2 losses in a row. The team was not confident with it still, however it looked really well on the field. Previously the fans showed a discontent with the conservative way we were playing, but they did like our new attacking football. Later I would even be named in the media as a "manager that has showed his team how to find the net".

Even if we started well, the media still was predicting us to lose our matches and that our run was a mater of luck and momentum, rather than a good work. And they might have been right. But our wins and especially our good run in the cup, demonstrated that we are certainly not push overs and that the team has a future.

View attachment 248727

Statistically we stayed on the 3rd place 1 point after the leader and the top 4 was very close from each other. Certainly everyone had a chance to win the first place. Our offence was the 2nd best in the league and Pavlin Todorov was the main reason behind this. Our defense was the best in the league, but despite the good stats we were still laying on the 3rd place. We were very good in home getting some decent results and some big wins. Away from home sometimes the team looked to find their way, other times we lacked the ambition away from our fans.

Transfers

After a careful analyse of the team I decided that we still need a strengthening. The training sessions showed that our right winger, Georgi Hristov is passing his peak and we needed a replacement. And although we had enough players in the midfield I tough that we lack quality. On top of that our goalie and my friend, Nikolay Markov, was not good enough and got a lot of easy goals.

This is why I brought the following players:
View attachment 248728View attachment 248729View attachment 248730

It was 1st of January and all the teams from the Bulgarian B Group were having almost 3 months of a rest. It was going to be a long mid season preparation. We had 13 matches more to play and I had to do everything in order to reach the first place and avoid the risky playoff matches.

Is great. Hope do you find the time to play the game and go into so much depth in the story??? Really greet again