iamauser

Staff member
Reaction score
I am almost on the verge of breaking with LLM saves at the moment. It is getting painful to watch. Every time I play one, the same things happen. We dominate games, have loads of chances, refuse to finish and then concede a wonder goal. Obviously, this must be something tactical, so I am hoping that some of you tactical gurus will be able to help me.

I am currently in charge of Sousense in the Portuguese National Championship. Here are some SS of my tactic:

View attachment 249032 View attachment 249031

The problem I am having isnt creating chances, it is actually converting them. I am averaging around 3-4 CCCs per game with possession of 55%+. If anyone could suggest any ways I could get my team to be more clinical I would really appreciate it. I havent actually won a game in 8 yet!

What kind of chances are you missing? Are they on-on-ones, shots into a crowded defense, crosses saved/blocked?

I have a feeling it could be a less-is-more solution. I can't be sure without knowing how the opposition is keeping you out but their plan may be to stay tight and frustrate you.

Your tactic look fine. There's a nice blend of roles and they naturally cover the holes left from players roaming.
My only concern is that they may not have the off the ball / decisions stats to effectively pull of a F9 role as it's more about individual brilliance than tactical instruction.

Anything you've noticed about the way teams are shutting you out would be helpful :)

Most of the chances missed are one-on-ones, followed by crossed to the far post and the opposition keep diving the length of the goal to save a shot from 2 yards out.

I have moved the F9 into the AMC position as a Shadow Striker. Seems to be going well as I won the match 5-2.

Perhaps defensively needs to be worked on more than attack maybe.

I always thought you were a decent tactician mate.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say bin the TI's :p
They are quite contradictory, they sort of tell the team to get the ball down the wings, and stretch play but play slowly and dont cross, cut it back but when you do, whip in a fast cross for the big generally slow target man.

2 covering cb's? I always say if in doubt use cb on defense, they will then decide when it is best to cover/stop play etc.

The key to LLM as quickness and first touch, If you get players who are decent in this regard LLM is trivial.

It's an indication of how poor manager AI is, when a tactic like this isn't sliced open time and again. Defensively it doesn't look sound at all.

Scoring-wise, I'd love to see the attributes of your two forwards and maybe even the AML/AMR. Assuming the 1 v 1s are missed by your F9 and weak headed chances are the TM/A -

From what I can see, Joao Tiago is not suited to a F9 role at all (poor dribbling, for one) and he has atrocious (even for that level) composure. Same with your other striker, Ruben Silvestre, who seems to have very poor composure as well. Apart from that, he seems okay-ish as a Target Man at least.

Is that your regular starting line-up? There are maybe a few random attributes, but looking on my game, there are much better options in terms of a starting 11.

It's still a 4-2-4 though and you're not doing much to pull defenders anywhere. You're relying on a F9 to drift (which he's decent at), dribble (which he can't) and finish (lacking composure), shoot from distance (poor technique, composure and long shots) or pass (with poor passing, technique and horrible vision) to a Target Man who won't move much due to his role. (EDIT: The wingers will also just pin back the fullbacks, so it's basically left up to the poor F9 to make something happen.)

Speaking of, the Target Man (since you speak about far post crosses) will be dealing with very inaccurate crosses from the AMR due to a) whipped crosses and Norinho's b) average balance and c) poor crossing abilities. Ruben Silvestre will have a hard time dealing with the crosses at pace because of the inaccuracy (EDIT: and pace of the crosses), imo.

Again, is that your regular line-up? I'd either look at getting more suitable players in those roles or getting better roles to suit the players you have selected.

Last edited:
It's an indication of how poor manager AI is, when a tactic like this isn't sliced open time and again. Defensively it doesn't look sound at all.

Scoring-wise, I'd love to see the attributes of your two forwards and maybe even the AML/AMR. Assuming the 1 v 1s are missed by your F9 and weak headed chances are the TM/A -

From what I can see, Joao Tiago is not suited to a F9 role at all (poor dribbling, for one) and he has atrocious (even for that level) composure. Same with your other striker, Ruben Silvestre, who seems to have very poor composure as well. Apart from that, he seems okay-ish as a Target Man at least.

Is that your regular starting line-up? There are maybe a few random attributes, but looking on my game, there are much better options in terms of a starting 11.

It's still a 4-2-4 though and you're not doing much to pull defenders anywhere. You're relying on a F9 to drift (which he's decent at), dribble (which he can't) and finish (lacking composure), shoot from distance (poor technique, composure and long shots) or pass (with poor passing, technique and horrible vision) to a Target Man who won't move much due to his role. (EDIT: The wingers will also just pin back the fullbacks, so it's basically left up to the poor F9 to make something happen.)

Speaking of, the Target Man (since you speak about far post crosses) will be dealing with very inaccurate crosses from the AMR due to a) whipped crosses and Norinho's b) average balance and c) poor crossing abilities. Ruben Silvestre will have a hard time dealing with the crosses at pace because of the inaccuracy (EDIT: and pace of the crosses), imo.

Again, is that your regular line-up? I'd either look at getting more suitable players in those roles or getting better roles to suit the players you have selected.

I have been trying different things throughout the season and the screen I posted seemed to create more chances than the 4-5-1 that I had. I have gone back to 4-5-1 now though so I can use Flavior Igor/Paulinho. Im not sure what role to have the AMC on though as I want them supporting the TM as much as possible.

Most chances are usually missed by the TM when through 1v1.

Would you recommend having float crosses instead of whipped? Or neither?

I have been trying different things throughout the season and the screen I posted seemed to create more chances than the 4-5-1 that I had. I have gone back to 4-5-1 now though so I can use Flavior Igor/Paulinho. Im not sure what role to have the AMC on though as I want them supporting the TM as much as possible.

Most chances are usually missed by the TM when through 1v1.

Would you recommend having float crosses instead of whipped? Or neither?

It seems then that most of your chances are missed by the TM/A, Ruben Silvestre? That would indicate that he's the problem.

I wouldn't select either of the two crossing options. Float crosses is for tall (big jumping reach) strikers so they have time to get under it and win it against anyone. Whipped crosses are whipped in at pace to catch defenders out who aren't tight on the striker, so it favours strikers who are good off the ball but very good at heading. It also needs good wingers, capable of whipping it in accurately as it'll be less accurate than "normal" crossing. I'd leave crossing on default, tbh.

The problem still is, that your TM/A (on my game at least) has only 11 for jumping and he may have bigger defenders competing. It the game against Gondomar, for instance, there's one defender with only 10 for jumping and another with 15 or 16. If paired up correctly, that's an area to exploit, even using "normal" crosses. For 1 v 1s, you just have to accept that it'll happen. He has very poor composure. If you find that your players have plenty of time, maybe think about removing the higher tempo instruction, to enable them to use the time they have better. That could improve finishing as there would be more time to compose themselves.

On the other hand, you have better strikers at the club. I'd rate Norinho, Paulinho and Angelo as better scorers, so you can switch it up if needed.

Last edited:
Silvestre is scoring me goals (he is currently 3rd top scorer in the league) but he does also squander lots of chances. I will make a few changes and see what happens.

Angelo has been out injured all season which is why I havent used him.

I only just looked at the limited stats here. 8 of your shots are unaccounted for, so I'm assuming they were blocked? That also indicates that the defence are set and ready for your attacks and you're doing little to pull them apart. That's why, with a 4-2-4, teams usually play very direct to prevent this from happening. Your standard mentality, shorter passing and look for overlap (which is a shout I don't understand here) is all doing their best to slow things down and I suspect this is hurting you as well.

If Gondomar sat back anyway, then play more direct on its own won't help much though.

Silvestre is scoring me goals (he is currently 3rd top scorer in the league) but he does also squander lots of chances. I will make a few changes and see what happens.
Okay, so it is sort of working for you. Maybe a more decent F9 or different role altogether and the slight change in crossing style will improve things.

In LLM, speed kills. I would recommend dumping your forwards and getting adv. forwards instead and play on counter.

I have made some changes and seems to be working a lot better now. Thanks for the suggestions. Here is what I have settled on now:

View attachment 248952 View attachment 248951

I have used it for the last two games which I won 3-0 and 4-1, so I will carry on with it and see how it goes. If anyone has any more suggestions please let me know. Thanks.