Loan players playing U23 for their club

IndyManager

Reaction score
So I realized to my horror that I loaned two players in and they both have a clause allowing them to play U23 matches for their parent club. They seem to almost always get selected so they are usually tired when our first team matches roll around. Two questions:

1. Does this ever happen in real life? I can't imagine why either club would want it as it would result in little more than a shattered player, would it? I've known about a lot of loan players and I never remember seeing/hearing this? Is is just a "game" thing to see if you are paying attention (I wasn't)

2. In the game, is there any way to change this clause? I'm pretty there is not. The only interaction I've seen regarding a loan after the fact is the parent club manager complains to you if his player isn't being selected enough. But is there anything I can do going the other way (besides nixing the loan deal)?

Yes this does actually happen in real life. My best example is Martin Samuelsen (plays for West Ham) was loaned out to Blackburn earlier this season played matches for WH u23 and for Blackburn at the same time. Eventually WH decided to end the loan, but still.

I think it depends on what team role they have promised to use the loanee in. If they are using him as a backup and using U23 matches for fitness, you should be able to demand they use him properly or you will end the loan. Same if they are using him out of position promised.