long ball football the best lower league?

boozemonster

Reaction score
(apologise for my language and spelling before this)

in previous versions of the game you've always got away with playing a far better and more expansive style of football.

in the most recent incarnation or FM however in fairness, tactically you are forced into how you would tactically play as a LLM (Lower League Manager)

you can no longer pley the short passing game and expect your sub-standard players to play your way out of difficulty, you are forced into a long ball style.

thankfully if you are like me and you are at the bottom to the bottomest league you no longer have to deal with people thinking 500k is cheap, it aint.

free is cheap!

here's a long ball tactic if you want it... (as i always say, it might not work at higher levels but give it a bash)

i put this (before i'd perfected it) on another thread and asked for feedback and no one said owt

i wouldnt find a bit feed back if only to chance it at for better leagues than N.Irish

Last edited:
Long balls generally work best for me when playing against much better sides (as in, AFC Telford vs Wolverhampton) - even though in reality the Wanderers themselves should be quite good at using the long ball scheme and hence preventing me from having success with it...

Just an observation. But I agree with you, trying to play an expansive game while managing a lower league team is suicide unless you've signed a couple of really high-quality midfielders... who would otherwise never have even thought of joining a Blue Square side.

i think easily the most important things you need to do well in the LL's with a longball is a couple of CB that are tall and can knock it forward to your DM one big target man and a couple of pacey wide lads to cross from the byline, ive found its far more affective from the byline.

havent tried long ball yet. would it work well with high tempo? i like to play wide as well. so players might tire?

works very well with high tempo, you might have to drop the tempo if you team doesnt have the fitness, also if your strikers arent too hot in the air you might have the play more directly than long.

I just started a game as Weston-Super-Mare and i am playing direct passing with a normal pace and im also man marking. Never seen any lower league sides like Weston using zonal marking lol