AledD

Reaction score
So just about every formation I make on this game so far has resulted in high possession, high passing accuracy and an insane amount of long shots. I've set every single player to take long shots rarely, through balls high, and set creative discipline to low. Despite this the players will continue to shoot from distance all the time. I'm getting 20+ shots a game and almost all from distance. I always use shouts like 'work it into the box' and other similar but it seems to have no impact. Is there something I'm missing here? Because it's driving me insane.

Hi
Hi looking forward to the responses here, as I think I will be in the asylum with you otherwise!

How is your creative freedom set? Setting it to low will make them listen to you a bit better, also make sure no one has those "like to take long shots" PPMs if they really are hurting you. Other PPMs like tries killer balls or looks to pass or something along the lines of encouraging balls that get into the box can also make a big difference.

Settings for Time wasting & Tempo?

Gump

Hi I have tried all sorts of tempos etc, but currently just starting 2nd season with Liverpool and have just changed to playing balanced/counter, slow tempo about one click down from normal, likewise for width. Time wasting is set to sometimes one click left of centre. It's a 4231.

Playing this way in ore season and last couple of games of last season I have had a ridiculous amount of possession and like 30shots per game but only about 8 on target and 1 ccc if any per game.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gump

Hi I have tried all sorts of tempos etc, but currently just starting 2nd season with Liverpool and have just changed to playing balanced/counter, slow tempo about one click down from normal, likewise for width. Time wasting is set to sometimes one click left of centre. It's a 4231.

Playing this way in ore season and last couple of games of last season I have had a ridiculous amount of possession and like 30shots per game but only about 8 on target and 1 ccc if any per game.

Any ideas?

Thanks

U shud post screenshots of your Team Instructions and then the players PI who take most of the long shots as then I can take a look at the bigger picture.

However, from what I can tell with that info, is that ur CCC problems are related with your Counter and slow tempo setup. Counter IMO sets most of the players to be more defensive minded as thats what counter is, keep men behind ball and then strike quickly when you get the ball. It all depends from the way U want ur team to actually play, but I guess its possession so I'd recommend maybe switching from Counter to Control or Attacking or then just speed up things, making tempo to somewhere in the Normal section, maybe click or two from the centre to either side, you need to experiment on it, which suits you better.

Long shots problem might be related to your Time Wasting as it can work both ways. It can be beneficial in possession tactics, but if you overdo it (put too much time wasting on), then it will backfire you and this is what is happening. Ur having way too much Time Wasting, considering its somewhere in the middle. Before you use time wasting, you need to understand it. How do you think players will waste time in the pitch? I can think a few ways like holding up ball and passing ball around but I can also come up with blasting the ball towards goal/stands from miles apart. When I make possession based tactics, I leave it to Rarely side of things or then just one click over Rarely -> Which makes it Sometimes. If you get what I mean.

PPM's also play a role, but as you are Liverpool and 2nd season, you probably havent bought any players which has tries long shots, but I dont have sufficient knowledge of Liverpool players PPM's so I cant really say anything regarding it.

So return to me with the screenshots, unless I already solved your problem.

It's a known issue that has to do with players around the ballholder not making enough movements, providing passing options.

U shud post screenshots of your Team Instructions and then the players PI who take most of the long shots as then I can take a look at the bigger picture.

However, from what I can tell with that info, is that ur CCC problems are related with your Counter and slow tempo setup. Counter IMO sets most of the players to be more defensive minded as thats what counter is, keep men behind ball and then strike quickly when you get the ball. It all depends from the way U want ur team to actually play, but I guess its possession so I'd recommend maybe switching from Counter to Control or Attacking or then just speed up things, making tempo to somewhere in the Normal section, maybe click or two from the centre to either side, you need to experiment on it, which suits you better.

Long shots problem might be related to your Time Wasting as it can work both ways. It can be beneficial in possession tactics, but if you overdo it (put too much time wasting on), then it will backfire you and this is what is happening. Ur having way too much Time Wasting, considering its somewhere in the middle. Before you use time wasting, you need to understand it. How do you think players will waste time in the pitch? I can think a few ways like holding up ball and passing ball around but I can also come up with blasting the ball towards goal/stands from miles apart. When I make possession based tactics, I leave it to Rarely side of things or then just one click over Rarely -> Which makes it Sometimes. If you get what I mean.

PPM's also play a role, but as you are Liverpool and 2nd season, you probably havent bought any players which has tries long shots, but I dont have sufficient knowledge of Liverpool players PPM's so I cant really say anything regarding it.

So return to me with the screenshots, unless I already solved your problem.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have experimented with it for 274hrs so far, much to the mrs displeasure!! Started again so many times! I was playing quick/direct wide etc first season and still wasn't creating much so went for something a bit more consistent (hopefully!). I will play around a bit more with your suggestions and get back to you with screenshots if I still get nowhere.

thanks again appreciate ur help

I'm also having the same problem, I have set most players' long shots instructions to rarely however every time they pick up the ball it they often shoot - usually the shots go out 18 yards wide. And TheBetterHalf, that seems to be a factor in my game. Many of the surrounding players don't seem to be making great runs. The player with the ball seems to run and run with the ball, as if they are looking for a pass, and then waste a shot. Does anybody know how to avoid this?

It's a known issue that has to do with players around the ballholder not making enough movements, providing passing options.

This in a nutshell, but also you can help minimise this with a good setup that creates space.

So please post your team instructions and player formation screen

Has SI acknowledged the lack of movement leading to long shots? Regardless of formation and player instructions, (although "work the ball into the box", long shots rarely for every player, through balls for every player are always ticked, plus no Long Shot PPMs for any player) no one ever seems to know what to do around the 18 yd line. Every so often there is a moment of brilliance, but most often exceptional build up play leads to a 35 yd punt. I play with a Czech Second Division team, so I'm actually surprised and a bit skeptical at how good the build up play and pass accuracy (87-88% regularly) is. I thought I was doing something wrong with my own tactics so I gave Goals Galore and the Might and Magic tactics a try and led to the same results. Interestingly, if I go on vacation and ask my assistant manager to use my original tactics, inside the box shots increase dramatically.

Last edited:
Has SI acknowledged the lack of movement leading to long shots? Regardless of formation and player instructions, (although "work the ball into the box", long shots rarely for every player, through balls for every player are always ticked, plus no Long Shot PPMs for any player) no one ever seems to know what to do around the 18 yd line. Every so often there is a moment of brilliance, but most often exceptional build up play leads to a 35 yd punt. I play with a Czech Second Division team, so I'm actually surprised and a bit skeptical at how good the build up play and pass accuracy (87-88% regularly) is. I thought I was doing something wrong with my own tactics so I gave Goals Galore and the Might and Magic tactics a try and led to the same results. Interestingly, if I go on vacation and ask my assistant manager to use my original tactics, inside the box shots increase dramatically.

Yes.

Yes.

Really? Because I'm playing a slow tempo short passing Spain/Barcelona tactic with 6 midfielders, 2 real centre backs and 2 wingbacks that worked really well for me in fm 2012 and verry often I notice that my players instead of choosing the obvious through pass that sends a player alone in the box, they choose to shoot verry wide. And they clearly had passing opportunities, they could have passed in the box to create a CCC, or behind to the player behind them, or to their sides, There's allways a free player ready to receive a pass, I'd prefer they pass all the way back to the goal keeper instead of shooting kilometres wide

I've tweaked the tactic by lowering creative freedom (wich was an important part of the tactic in fm2012)

So this "they shoot because they don't have passing opoortunities strikes me as odd, because my entire tactic is about passing and keeping the ball and creating triangles

Ive noticed 80% of the time there is an option, this they shoot because they dont have an option is from people in denial of an obvious flaw, I've seen plenty of times a gaps open up and the striker could quite easily run though and tap it in but shoots from outside the box, usually stupidly high or wide, not having an option usually occurs if my player is shut down quickly or forced wide without enough skill, composure or vision to make the correct decision usually resulting in a rushed shot, hitting the defender or at least the target or if a defence is backing off and players aren't running through so there's no option, this isn't what's happening there is plenty of options, but im sure it will be fixed in the next patch.

Really? Because I'm playing a slow tempo short passing Spain/Barcelona tactic with 6 midfielders, 2 real centre backs and 2 wingbacks that worked really well for me in fm 2012 and verry often I notice that my players instead of choosing the obvious through pass that sends a player alone in the box, they choose to shoot verry wide. And they clearly had passing opportunities, they could have passed in the box to create a CCC, or behind to the player behind them, or to their sides, There's allways a free player ready to receive a pass, I'd prefer they pass all the way back to the goal keeper instead of shooting kilometres wide

I've tweaked the tactic by lowering creative freedom (wich was an important part of the tactic in fm2012)

So this "they shoot because they don't have passing opoortunities strikes me as odd, because my entire tactic is about passing and keeping the ball and creating triangles

Its about actually making movements into free space - ahead of an opponent - IN TIME and for the ballholder to see this.

Ive noticed 80% of the time there is an option, this they shoot because they dont have an option is from people in denial of an obvious flaw, I've seen plenty of times a gaps open up and the striker could quite easily run though and tap it in but shoots from outside the box, usually stupidly high or wide, not having an option usually occurs if my player is shut down quickly or forced wide without enough skill, composure or vision to make the correct decision usually resulting in a rushed shot, hitting the defender or at least the target or if a defence is backing off and players aren't running through so there's no option, this isn't what's happening there is plenty of options, but im sure it will be fixed in the next patch.

i am not in denial, I am just explaining the actuall FLAW and that is with the movement. It IS a ME bug/Issue/Flaw
Yes, for you and me, It looks like the pass is on, but as written above, they make a movemet forward, but thats just moving forward with the same pace as the opponents defenders. They are not actually taking advantage of their off the ball, acceleration etc

Last edited:
Its about actually making movements into free space - ahead of an opponent - IN TIME and for the ballholder to see this.

i am not in denial, I am just explaining the actuall FLAW and that is with the movement. It IS a ME bug/Issue/Flaw
Yes, for you and me, It looks like the pass is on, but as written above, they make a movemet forward, but thats just moving forward with the same pace as the opponents defenders. They are not actually taking advantage of their off the ball, acceleration etc

That's a pretty huge bug. Didn't they BETA test before release? It's really gamebreaking for me. I keep replaying the same match over and over again because my players forgot that they can pass and just shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot. I've been replaying the same match for 2 and a half hours now. (I can accept losing or drawing fairly, but not due to some bug)

I swear if I see 1 more long shot instead of a pass that leads to a CCC I'm throwing my pc out the window.

Why isn't this patched yet? Game's been out for some time now

Last edited:

That's a pretty huge bug. Didn't they BETA test before release? It's really gamebreaking for me. I keep replaying the same match over and over again because my players forgot that they can pass and just shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot. I've been replaying the same match for 2 and a half hours now. (I can accept losing or drawing fairly, but not due to some bug)

I swear if I see 1 more long shot instead of a pass that leads to a CCC I'm throwing my pc out the window.

Maybe I should see what I can do to get a partial refund seeing how a broken product has been sold to me. As a consumer I shouldn't have to accept this. My kidds back from holliday at the grandparents in 2 days I bought this today and was hoping for some intense FM2013 now that I still have some free time :(

EDIT: weird, editing caused a double post? probably pushed the wrong button, sorry mods

Last edited:

Maybe I should see what I can do to get a partial refund seeing how a broken product has been sold to me. As a consumer I shouldn't have to accept this. My kidds back from holliday at the grandparents in 2 days I bought this today and was hoping for some intense FM2013 now that I still have some free time :(

EDIT: weird, editing caused a double post? probably pushed the wrong button, sorry mods

Its a knock-on effect from another issue that was fixed and the reason why it has not been fixed yet is because this time, they dont want to rush things, causing another knock-on effect that is not detected. So for now,its actually a good thing that SI will take their time.

When this has been fixed, you will probably see a huge chnage in the flow of the game as its not just the attacking team that has problems with movement but also the defending. This means that those clear t-balls opportunities might not be as common :D

For me, the game is still much better than FM12 though. A montgh ago, I went back to it to play my old ave and I actually found it unplayable due to the lack of colision detector

Last edited:
Give up mate, been there in the past and it just drains the fun away from the game, youll end up becoming obsessed with beating that team, when ibe done that in the past I just end up changing everything, formation, mentality, players and if I lose again I'll just accept it and move on, if not I just delete the save, don't let it get the better of you!!

Hopefully they will do a patch after the transfer window closes? The next one will probably be the last, I've read posts saying the ling shot issue is a knock on effect of the fixes put in place to get the game where it is now?
The previous patches were shocking, when managing man u ect it's not as obvious but when I'm managing in league two ect it's more obvious as the players are less skilled.