Clarky.

Theo <3
Reaction score
First FM 11 story and tried to take a different approach, story of a boy who one moment changes his life in a dramatic way. Enjoy.

Longshot; A true underdog story.

The Big match.

So there I am stood on the sideline, shorts slightly too small for me. Watching the same 7 boys who play every week battle it out for a place in the under 10 county cup final. We’re one nil down, debateable penalty but one of the alcoholic dads is ref so no one is surprised. Coming up to the last 10 minutes, Borehamwood F.C were on their way out of the cup. With one last push our middle aged bald manager, who didn’t happen to be anyone’s dad changed the formation to 2-1-3. He must know what he’s doing; after all he’s got a level one coaching badge from Uefa. Although the certificate did resemble something I could do on paint. Time ticked on still no sign of me getting a run out. Optimistic as usual I approached Keith

‘Any chance I’ll be going on today?’

‘This Game to important, you’ll definitely play next week.’

I walked back to stand with the parents, although I wasn’t popular with the lads, the parents loved me. Probably due to the amount of time I spent standing with them. 5 minutes left, still not looking like we were going to score when all of a sudden, bang. Our star play Billy was rolling around on the floor in agony. One of the other team had stepped on his toe; Keith had no choice but to bring him off. As Billy limped off with tears in his eyes, Keith looked over to the possible replacements, luckily enough it was only me. No one else had turned up. Keith rolled his eyes into the top of his head and with a resigned voice shouted.

‘Aaron, Get your shin pads on your going upfront.’

My eyes lit up as I ran over to Keith, slightly out of breath I said.

‘Shall I go on? Don’t worry Keith, I won’t let you down.’

3 minutes remaining I took my position upfront. I heard murmurs of ‘Oh god on comes fatty’ and ‘what are you doing Keith, he’s ****’ from my supposedly team mates. I didn’t let this get me down, we was all over them. One goal would put us into extra time. 1 minute left a hopeful shot from Mark in left mid took a lucky deflection and we’d won a corner. Everyone was up even our keeper Phil. Mark jogged over to take the corner. He floated the ball in, everyone watches as the ball glances over the heads of half the team, I’d took up my spot at the back post, well when I say took I mean James, the team bully, who had a premature growth spurt had put me there. So I was ‘out of the way’.
The ball continued through the air, their keeper came out to claim but made a complete mess of it and ended up on the floor. That’s when it dawned on me; the ball was heading my way and I had an open goal. My worst nightmare. I’d only joined the team to make my over supportive Dad happy. As the ball grew neared I knew what was needed to be done. I closed my eyes and lunged my head towards the ball. Bang the ball hit my head, I opened my eyes and watched as the ball hit the post and bounced wide. I’d blown it. The final whistle went.

Last edited:
Nice twist at the end there, looks good.

Keep it up :)

The Big match

So there I am stood on the sideline, shorts slightly too small for me. Watching the same 7 boys who play every week battle it out for a place in the under 10 county cup final. We’re one nil down, debateable penalty but one of the alcoholic dads is ref so no one is surprised. Coming up to the last 10 minutes, Borehamwood F.C were on their way out of the cup. With one last push our middle aged bald manager, who didn’t happen to be anyone’s dad changed the formation to 2-1-3. He must know what he’s doing; after all he’s got a level one coaching badge from Uefa. Although the certificate did resemble something I could do on paint. Time ticked on still no sign of me getting a run out. Optimistic as usual I approached Keith

‘Any chance I’ll be going on today?’

‘This Game to important, you’ll definitely play next week.’

I walked back to stand with the parents, although I wasn’t popular with the lads, the parents loved me. Probably due to the amount of time I spent standing with them. 5 minutes left, still not looking like we were going to score when all of a sudden, bang. Our star play Billy was rolling around on the floor in agony. One of the other team had stepped on his toe; Keith had no choice but to bring him off. As Billy limped off with tears in his eyes, Keith looked over to the possible replacements, luckily enough it was only me. No one else had turned up. Keith rolled his eyes into the top of his head and with a resigned voice shouted.

‘Aaron, Get your shin pads on your going upfront.’

My eyes lit up as I ran over to Keith, slightly out of breath I said.

‘Shall I go on? Don’t worry Keith, I won’t let you down.’

3 minutes remaining I took my position upfront. I heard murmurs of ‘Oh god on comes fatty’ and ‘what are you doing Keith, he’s ****’ from my supposedly team mates. I didn’t let this get me down, we was all over them. One goal would put us into extra time. 1 minute left a hopeful shot from Mark in left mid took a lucky deflection and we’d won a corner. Everyone was up even our keeper Jake. Mark jogged over to take the corner. He floated the ball in, everyone watches as the ball glances over the heads of half the team, I’d took up my spot at the back post, well when I say took I mean James, the team bully, who had a premature growth spurt had put me there. So I was ‘out of the way’.
The ball continued through the air, their keeper came out to claim but made a complete mess of it and ended up on the floor. That’s when it dawned on me; the ball was heading my way and I had an open goal. My worst nightmare. I’d only joined the team to make my over supportive Dad happy. As the ball grew neared I knew what was needed to be done. I closed my eyes and lunged my head towards the ball. Bang the ball hit the back of the net, I was a hero, I'd done it.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

The morning after..

So there I am stood in the kitchen knowing I’ve just blown my chance to be the most popular kid in school. James has already told me what’s going to happen if I turn up at school tomorrow. Keith said I was unlucky but I should have scored. He’s offered me the chance to go round his house once a week so he can help me improve at football. I’d be a fool to turn that down. My dads not spoken to me since the game finished, and mums already given me the ‘it happens to the best of us speech.’ I slowly walked up stairs and slumped onto my bed.

‘Morning my little man’ Cried my mum.

‘Huh? What do you mean morning?’

‘You fell asleep yesterday at about 4pm and never woke up!’

For a second I’d forgotten about the whole open goal situation but then it all came flooding back to me.

‘Mum, I don’t feel to well can I have today off?’

‘You was fine yesterday now get up you lazy **** and get ready.’

I slowly got out of bed, rubbed my eyes and began to get dressed. I slowly walked down the stairs to see my dad sitting in the front room.

‘Dad, have you made me breakfast?’

‘Oh, you won’t miss that will you?’

My dad still hadn’t forgiven me for being an ‘embarrassment to the family’. I could expect more of the unfunny puns from my dad in the coming weeks; he sure knows how to hold a grudge. With no possible breakfast from dad I was forced to make my own. But for some reason I just wasn’t feeling very hungry. These last two days had put my confidence at an all time low.

I headed out the door, shirt untucked, scruffy tie and my draw string bag hanging from one of my shoulders. Today was going to be tough.

Last edited:
The morning after..

So there I am jumping around the kitchen. This was the best day of my life. The whole team bundled me when it went in, all the parents where jumping up and down, it felt so surreal. James has already asked me to hang round with him tomorrow. Keith said I can expect to play a lot more often now, which is great news. And as for my dad he said he can’t believe it and he’s proud to call me his son. Now that’s something coming from dad. Mum was supportive as usual, no change there.

‘You can stay up an hour late tonight son.’

My face light up, I knew I was in for a lot of treats in the upcoming weeks. The time eventually came when it was time for bed; I reluctantly went but knew I’d have trouble sleeping. Just replaying that beautiful moment over and over again.

‘Morning my little hero.’

‘Morning mum’ I said as I jumped out of bed.

The goal still fresh in my memory. I rushed to get ready, clothes on, teeth brushed, had a wash. All in the space of about 10 minutes. I jogged down the stairs to see my dad standing there with a full English fry up.

‘For me?’

‘Who else son.’

As I sat there eating my breakfast I glanced over at my dad and he smiled at me, that’s when I knew I’d at least guaranteed a week over being spoilt by him.
I was feeling on top of the world.

I shouted by to my mum and walked through the front door, wondering what sort of day lies ahead of me, It was going to be different for sure. No constant shouts of ‘fatty’ or ‘nerd’. Maybe just ‘Aaron’ for a change.

Last edited:
First day at school

The school gate drew closer with every step. I just kept thinking to myself ‘Just get through this day, It’ll all be forgotten by tomorrow.’ Nothing could be worse then the actual moment itself, could it?

‘Here he is, fatty. Tell everyone about yesterday.’ Shouted James.

I kept my head down and rushed inside, at least the teachers wouldn’t pick on me.

‘I heard about your lil’ miss yesterday Aaron.’ Joked one of my teachers.

‘Yeah, it was quite a hard finish to be fair to me.’

‘Not what I heard, I heard it was an absolute sitter.’

I knew Mr *** was right, it was a sitter. In a vague attempt to restore some pride I argued until he eventually agreed.

I knew the upcoming lessons were going be tough, but at least I had max, my one and only true friend. I knew I could rely on him to cheer me up today. He wasn’t the coolest in the class but I had to take all the friends I could get at the moment.

‘Max, Max, come sit with me.’

No reply. I shouted again but no reply. Just a few glances over and whispers to the other lads followed by sniggers.

Period 1; Maths. I wasn’t the best at maths but certainly not the worst, I just tried to look at the positives, at least there was no possible way for anyone too take the mick out of me.

‘Aaron + Open Goal = Us out of the cup.’ Screamed James.

The whole class burst out in laughter, even Mr *** had a slight grin. The bad jokes continued through out the day, needless to say I spent my break and lunch on my own.

So to sum up my first day at school; I’d lost my best friend; everyone knew about my miss; even the people in the year below and James has made sure no one speaks to me ever again. Surely it can only get better from here.

Last edited:
This story could be one of the best on FM. It has a brilliant idea and am loving the two opposite scenarios. It will be interesting to see how this develops into Football Manager or if it does? I personally dont think it needs to

First day of school

There I went, confidently down the road, Head held high. I was almost certain this was going to be one of the best days of my life. My excitement grew as the gate got closer and I could see my class mates.

‘Here he is; the hero.’ Shouted James

A huge grin grew on my face, normally James wouldn’t be caught within 10 metres of me and now he was inviting me over to talk with him and the other ‘popular’ kids. We stood around in the playground for a good 20 minutes discussing and reliving the moment I scored.

‘Aaron, hang with us today.’

I couldn’t believe it; the coolest kid in our year was inviting me to hang round with him. We casually strolled into class.

‘Boys why are you late?’ shouted Mr ***

‘Sorry sir, we didn’t realise the time.’ Sniggered James

‘Okay, any more this week and that’s it, detention.’

This was a first for me; I’d never even been told off let alone have a detention. We walked off sniggering and took our seat at the back of the class.

‘Aaron, Aaron come sit with me’ shouted max

‘Why would he want to sit with you, you’re a nerd.’ Shouted Billy another on of the popular crew

‘Guys, can he come sit with us’ I said reluctantly

‘Aaron he’s a ****, you don’t need him no more you’ve got us.’

I thought for a few seconds and then realised, although Max was my best friend and had always stuck with me, this was my one chance to be popular even if it was just for one day, I’m sure if they do ditch me Max will take me back, right?

I looked over at Max and shrugged. Needless to say he turnt straight back around and didn’t make eye contact with me for the rest of the lesson. ‘He would have done the same thing to me’ a voice kept saying in my head.

As the day went on it only got better, some of the kids in the year below were even recognising me as ‘the guy who scored that goal’. And im not certain but im pretty sure I saw Kelly, one of the nicest girls in our year, looking at me.

Surely it couldn’t get any better.

Last edited:
Easy athletic

It was the game after I missed that open goal. A league game against Trunwell Athletic; bottom of our league. This is the one game in the year I usely start. We're bound to smash em. The manager calls us all over.

'Right Lads, after last weeks joke of a performance, I want you to go out and smash em. Heres the team. Jake in goal...'

As he continued to read the names out I optimistically waited for my name, surely an adult wouldn't hold a grudge..?

'And the subs today, Aaron and Phil.'

My heart sank into my chest. If I can't get a game against the worst team in the whole league who could I get a game against. The game started , needless to say we were 4-0 up at Half time.

'Great half lads, I'll give it five minutes then I'll make some subs.'

I thought to myself just maybe. but didn't get my hopes out that much.

'Lads get warmed up your going on.'

And by 'your' he meant phil. Phil jogged on while for some reason I was made to continue 'warming up'. Pretty sure It was just a punishment. My mum and dad didn't bother coming to watch good job too. I did eventually get on. For the last 30 seconds.

At least I got on though right?

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Easy athletic

Its the game after I scored the winner. I was a team hero. Next up in the league Trunwell athletic. Result. Worst team in our league, only time I'd usually start. But today I was almost certain I'd start.

'After that cup win lads were through and now we need to concentrate on the league. A win today and we're third. No ******* about today, I know there **** and there keepers cross eyed but its not a laugh. Right team today..Jake in goal.......And Aaron your upfront.'

Get in. My first start in ages. I took my place upfront, and ran my socks off for the first half, I was absolutely knackered. Although I did get a goal, I played terribly but it was a penalty and the lads all agreed I deserved it. We went on to win 8-0, I didnt manage to score again but did set up one from a **** shot which pee rolled into the box and Billy finished it off.

Mum and Dad were both there and chatting away with Keith, Not too sure what about.

But surely it could only be a good thing.

Last edited:
The training session

With the county cup Final in a few weeks Keith was doing his best to make sure everyone was in tip top condition. Two training sessions a week, which mostly consisted of fitness, as you may know wasn't my strong point; along with most other things. As the lads ran round the pitch I dropped to the back of the pack and hobbled behind. I gave it the ol' shoe lace is undone and stopped to regain some breath.

'Right lads in you come. Everyone get in teams of 5'

The usual lads grouped together and got their bibs.

'Keith, what team shall I go on?'

'Does it really matter just hurry up.'

I jogged over to James, and put a bib on.

'Oh for gods sake. Keith stick fatty on the other team.'

I stayed on James' team but was resigned to goalie for most of the match as Keith said ther other lads needed to focus more on 'playing'. Training was over. 4.30. My mum pulled up in her car, 4.45.

'I told you mum.'

'Well I had things to do, why couldn't you just walk, you need the exercise anyway.'

'Mum we live 2 Miles from here.'

We continued to argue for the remainder of the trip. We got home, I rushed up to my room and began to think. Is football worse all the hassle? Shall I just give it up? Its not done me any good so far. Only reason I joined is to make Dad happy anyway.

'AARON, DINNERS READY!'

Brilliant I thought another cold microwave dinner.

Last edited:
im liking the story i wonder where football manger comes into play maybe you turn out to be a manger later i dont know but its good

follow my story shearer returns to rovers
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f116/shearer-returns-to-rovers-t64097.html

Training sessions, Keiths favourite. Nothing he liked more then to see 11 lads run around that pitch for a good 20 minutes. Normally I'd be somewhere near the back but I was determined to keep my place in the team and found myself hovering in the middle. With everyone begginig to get tired Keith called us all in.

'Alright lads , get into teams of 5'

For once a few of the lads offered for me to be on there team. I took my bib and took my place in defence. Although I was a bit more popular with the lads, I wasn't popular enough to warrant a place upfront.

The game eneded 14-8 or something like that. Keith called everyone over.

'Next weeks game is at 945 am, We're playing 3rd in the league, Calon utd. I want everyone to be in tip top condition. dont forget we've got the final coming up.'

Me and a few of the lads broke off and began to chat about the final. Them alot more excited then me. I knew my goal in the semis was a fluke, I couldn't do it again if i tried. No time to chat though mum was here to pick me up.

'How was training?'

'Yeah It was okay'

the conversation didn't go much further then that, we got home I went up to my room stuck the computer on and began thinking.

If im ever gonner be as good as any of them, I need to practice alot and lose some weight.

'Aaron your dinners ready darling'

'Im not hungry mum.'

Calon Utd ; A dent in our title Hopes.

'AARON, wake up you need to get ready for football.'

The same thought went through my head as it does most weeks. 'Why Do I bother to get up for football.' If I can't get a game against the easiest team in the league I've got no chance against one of the most physical. The manager of Calon Utd was known for his unorthadox approach to under 10s football. Where as most teams were in it for the 'fun aspect' it wasn't unsual to see him giving his players a rollocking at half time.

I got my kit on, number 32 on my back, a true sub number. All the good players were 7 or 10. But I picked my number last, and somewhat drew the short straw, Although the number probably was about right. I was a sub. Week in week out.

After 5 or 6 wrong turns and confusions we found where we was playing, which was strangely next to a prison somewhat fitting for the game that was about to be played. In all honesty I wasn't up for playing, I was more then happy to sit on the sidelines. Calon utd were known for there tough tackling and fear less approach.

We warmed up as usual, Where as some keen and eager as ever to play I drifted off into my own world and subconcoiusly continued with the warmup.

'Alright lads, We know what to expect today. I want you to go out there get the 3 points and give it your all.'

He named the team. Thank god I wasn't in it. This is how we lined up:

Jake
(gk)

Phil Callum

Mark Trevor James

Billy

The game started Brightly with Billy showing why hes first name on the team sheet adn taking a few shots. But thats as good as it got. With us in 4th postion, only a win would move us above Calon Utd. In the 12 minute a simple backpass trickled thorugh Jakes legs. 1-0. After a couple of minutes of tears from Jake the game continued and Calon Utd continued to dominate. Most of our team were trying to release the ball quickly as to avoid being slide tackled. 5 minutes left to go. Bang, Trevor goes down holding his foot. I cover my head, I knew this meant I'd be coming on. With us clinging on to a 1-0 defecit , my attempts would only hamper any kind of comeback.

'Right Aaron, get on there and prove to me you deserve to be here.'

Great extra added pressure, I took my place in centre mid. The most tiring positon on the pitch. Straight away the ball rolls to me. i put my foot on it and see an abnormally sized ten year old begin to run towards me, I just toe punt the ball as far as I could. The ball somehow reaches Billy and hes one on one.

'Great ball Aaron.'

I didnt mean it but no one needs to know that. Billy beared down on goal, he doesn't miss. Bam the ball hit the post and bounced out. Billy held his head in his hands. The whole team looked on as the rest of the game fizzled away.

1-0 Calon Utd. Game over.