camelelf

Reaction score
Before people say use the search button, i've been searching for tbhe past two days and I've probably viewed 20+ threads on various sites but I still can't stop my team from doing so many long shots.

I had to play Porto in the Champs league Semi final and lost 4-1 away with 20 shots, 15 of which were long shots.
I've tried to make the team play attacking fast football with the attqcking midfielders making killer through balls to my forward but all they do is take longshots!

I've also changed the instructions of each player to RARELY take longshots and OFTEN make throughballs but I get the same result each time!

Here is my team - View attachment 338780

Tactics - View attachment 338779

You are playing wide and direct, with little time to build up, and no real emphasis on recycling posession all to a static frontman.

If he is marked out (which is quite easy to do with a lone poacher) your players have no options, so they shoot.

Slower tempo, both CMs holding up the ball (however that's not suited to an AP), and try to give your players more options.

Slower tempo, both CMs holding up the ball (however that's not suited to an AP), and try to give your players more options.
Thanks for the advice, I'm USELESS when it comes to tactics so I wouldn;t have thought about doing what you jsut said. I'll give it a go and post back if anything changes.

Thanks for the advice, I'm USELESS when it comes to tactics so I wouldn;t have thought about doing what you jsut said. I'll give it a go and post back if anything changes.

Is it a 4-2-3-1 that you really want to play? I can screenshot the one I'm using if you want?

Also, through balls often isn't a great choice. Playmaker style players it is but other players you're best off with hat comes with the role, if you increase runs from deep on certain positions, you may get more options.

Is it a 4-2-3-1 that you really want to play? I can screenshot the one I'm using if you want?
yeah please. It's really starting to drive me crazy, All i want is a good formation for Hazard/Ronaldo and Shaquri on the right but also with a good playmaker like Gotze. Aslong as my team stop doing longshots I'd be happy.

Am I the only one that looked at that squad and thought nevermind the tactics....that squad should be winning every game without breaking a sweat?! I'm surely missing something here :p

yeah please. It's really starting to drive me crazy, All i want is a good formation for Hazard/Ronaldo and Shaquri on the right but also with a good playmaker like Gotze. Aslong as my team stop doing longshots I'd be happy.
zpBt0sC.png

I start standard, but also use control or counter

Manual tweaks:

GK set to defender collect at all times.

All players set manually to Zonal Marking (I dont want man marking when I use the Hassle shout)

All players long shots set to rarely.

You might want to change the creative freedom and Closing down to default, play about and see how it feels.

Ronaldo and Shaqiri have poor decision making, lots of flair and the shoots from distance PPMs, so they will shoot from range fairly often anyway, pretty much no matter what they do.

You're playing Messi as a poacher? You deserve to lose! ;)

On a more serious note. Did you check your players PPM? In one of my saves I signed schurrle and because of his PPM I could not stop him from keep blasting the ball from 30 yards out.

You're playing Messi as a poacher? You deserve to lose! ;)

On a more serious note. Did you check your players PPM? In one of my saves I signed schurrle and because of his PPM I could not stop him from keep blasting the ball from 30 yards out.
No, He's injured and Leandro would be there and he's best as a poacher. I only put Messi there to show my full strength team I'd usually use.

No, He's injured and Leandro would be there and he's best as a poacher. I only put Messi there to show my full strength team I'd usually use.

I personally dont play a poacher as a lone forward. At the very least I set the role to Advanced Forward

I personally dont play a poacher as a lone forward. At the very least I set the role to Advanced Forward
Another thing I've not learn yet. It does give you a guide on what stats are needed for each position and role and poacher seemed most appropriate. What would you suggest for a young, 189cm striker? He's got decent pace for his size and very good finishing and technical stats. Still only 20 years old!

I did what you said and what others said and it worked perfectly, beat City away 2-1 with 13 shots and only 2 longshots. Next I beat Arsenal in the F.A cup final with 16 shots and 0 longshots.

also, one last question, is it possible to subscribe to my own players? I always see that some ofmy players 'issue's response' to whoever but it's never in my inbox :S

Another thing I've not learn yet. It does give you a guide on what stats are needed for each position and role and poacher seemed most appropriate. What would you suggest for a young, 189cm striker? He's got decent pace for his size and very good finishing and technical stats. Still only 20 years old!

I did what you said and what others said and it worked perfectly, beat City away 2-1 with 13 shots and only 2 longshots. Next I beat Arsenal in the F.A cup final with 16 shots and 0 longshots.

also, one last question, is it possible to subscribe to my own players? I always see that some ofmy players 'issue's response' to whoever but it's never in my inbox :S

Would need a screenshot to guage him, also need to know his PPMs

I'll give you an example of Poacher vs Advanced forward

Javier Hernandez. In everyone eyes the archetypical poacher

DKpV40u.png

When you look at the highlight points, He's pretty much perfect.

But what about Advanced forward?

D4cUley.png

Very similar attributes needed

But then you look at the advanced instructions:

rnDDLIq.png

MrUCXws.png

Slightly different, but the roaming and increased through balls make a big difference, suddenly the player is more rounded, roaming means he has more movement dragging players everywhere, creating space for others, and being involved more. As a result he becomes a more lethal threat, with or without the ball

The last question about responses, sadly I do not know, been looking for the answer to that myself.

Would need a screenshot to guage him, also need to know his PPMs

The last question about responses, sadly I do not know, been looking for the answer to that myself.
View attachment 338963
ppm - Likes to take it round keeper. Is it possible to teach them new ppm's?

I would use him as a target man but a squirrel has more bravery then this guy :p

View attachment 338963
ppm - Likes to take it round keeper. Is it possible to teach them new ppm's?

I would use him as a target man but a squirrel has more bravery then this guy :p

You can teach new ones, but I wouldnt in his case, go to training and set his individual focus to quickness - heavy for at least a season. This guy is a great Advanced Forward, can even mature into a Complete Forward in a couple of years

You can teach new ones, but I wouldnt in his case, go to training and set his individual focus to quickness - heavy for at least a season. This guy is a great Advanced Forward, can even mature into a Complete Forward in a couple of years
thanks for all your help. Think I can actually enjoy this game and I've gained alot of knowledge from this thread :D