Looking for insight into Midfield roles. (5-3-2)

rvallant

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm doing a challenge game, basically take a team from the bottom to the top in the English leagues. I'm trying to decide on a formation and tactic that I would stick to for the entire time. Yes, tactical inflexibility! But there's a reason for that;

I need to learn how things work, and switching around formations won't really help me in that regard. Specifically, I want to master this one formation and then use what I learn there to do other, more fancy stuff.

So, I also want to shy away from 4-4-2 because, well, I want to do something more than 'vanilla'. I want to stay away from 4-3-3's, because I've used some variant of that for years, without really learning about them funny enough.

I actually want to use something of a 3-5-2 (or 5-3-2 in FM).

The idea is:

Three centre-backs will always ensure we have a man spare. Vs a 4-4-2 we should be covered. I'm aware that against a 4-5-1 or a 4-2-3-1 we will have 'two' spares, a bit redundant but I think I can work with that because most formations that have just the one striker will usually swamp the middle anyway. So 3 at the back should be helpful. The middle CB will 'cover', I'm not sure if I'd make the outside backs a stopper role though.

Two very attacking wing-backs - I want them unleashed, so a WB/A will do the job.

And behind them, a simple GK/D. Easy enough.

This is where I've started having doubts;

Setting up the midfield:

I'm going to use a 2-1 defensive triangle, but the 2 will be in the M role and the 1 in the AM role. The AM will be an advanced playmaker on attack. I was tempted to use an enganche but the AP offers a dribbling outlet.

The question for me is what roles for the 2 CM's. One will definitely be a CM/D, the 'pivot', and I'm pretty sure I *don't* want another playmaker. In order to allow wing backs to attack, I need the middle to be locked down. Normally in a 4-whatever formation, we use a double-pivot to lock the middle down. I'm not sure if a double-pivot is overkill for a 3 at the back system?

Basically, can anyone offer insight as to the partner for the CM/D bearing in mind the above scenario of maintaining the lockdown in the middle? I'm thinking a CM/S is the most vanilla and safe option, but perhaps this is an ideal situation for the usage of a Ball-Winning Midfielder? In theory, the CM/D will be covering behind him, as would the three centrebacks. Or would this leave us far too open, what with the WB's essentially being missing?

Up front, I'm intending to have an AP/A alongside a DLF/S and an AF/A (or poacher, whichever), it's just getting the midfield set up that I'm worried I'm over-thinking.

Any advice? :)

I'd go with a ball winning mid on support mate. I have on in pretty much all my tactics even with a DM. Just tweak the individual instructions too suit the player you're using

I think your Advanced Playmaker_Attack and Deep Lying Playmaker_Support will try to occupy the same space - but try it and watch a match or two on the Comprehensive view and see what happens. I could be wrong.

I'd be inclined to have the three midfielders all in the CM line, with your AP_A (who must be an excellent dribbler) playing on whichever side is not his strongest foot, to encourage diagonal forward runs and the occasional strike from distance. A Ball-Winning Midfielder is going to be essential. I usually also have a Deep Lying Playmaker_Support in any formation, because they are good at distributing the ball to the wide men and picking it up when first wave attacks have broken down. Maybe a CM/D or CM/S will do this just as effectively - I've never really used those particular roles. Whichever role you opt for, train the player in Switching the Ball to the Opposite Flank so you can make quick use of space when it appears on the far side of the pitch.