Looking for Non-EU / Non-International players

stuartbwfc

Reaction score
I have just finished my first season as Swansea and I want to get have a team full of Welsh players. Anyway I thought of a loophole but it's hard to find players that meet the criteria. I am looking for players who need a work permit so would take UK citizenship when eligible, but have also never played internationally so they could then play for Wales.
For example, Gabriel Paulista (Arsenal) could be eligible after living in the UK for the required days. Mikel Arteta wouldn't because he is already in EU (Spain).

A successful example is Denilson (Brazilian ex Arsenal midfielder) who has already lived in the UK long enough and will apply for citizenship as soon as he returns to the UK. At first he is declared for Brazil but I hope over time that disappears and he can then play for Wales.

(btw sorry for all the Arsenal examples)…

I have just finished my first season as Swansea and I want to get have a team full of Welsh players. Anyway I thought of a loophole but it's hard to find players that meet the criteria. I am looking for players who need a work permit so would take UK citizenship when eligible, but have also never played internationally so they could then play for Wales. For example, Gabriel Paulista (Arsenal) could be eligible after living in the UK for the required days. Mikel Arteta wouldn't because he is already in EU (Spain). A successful example is Denilson (Brazilian ex Arsenal midfielder) who has already lived in the UK long enough and will apply for citizenship as soon as he returns to the UK. At first he is declared for Brazil but I hope over time that disappears and he can then play for Wales. (btw sorry for all the Arsenal examples)…
I don't think the Home Nations (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland) are allowed to call up a player who gained UK citizenship through residency. A player can only be called up to a Home Nation if they spent 5 years in school before the age of 18 or have (grand)parents born in one of the Home Nations. To continue the Arsenal examples, it's for that reason Arteta and Almunia cannot be called up to the English National Team. So if you bought a glorious Jamaican regen with stats that make CR7 jealous, having no bloodline connection to the UK and being born in sunny Ocho Rios would not be able to play for Wales as he wouldn't have been able to spend 5 years in school in Wales before his 18th birthday. From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_eligibility_rules#Home_nations_agreement): 1. A Player who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more than one Association on account of his nationality, may play in an international match for one of these Associations only if, in addition to having the relevant nationality, he fulfils at least one of the following conditions: a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association; b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association; c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association; d) He has engaged in a minimum of five years education under the age of 18 within the territory of the relevant association. — Home nations agreement