Looking for some advice.

joeere11

Reaction score
I finished school 2 years ago with 12 GSCE's but didn't really know what I wanted to do as a career, (I still don't) so I just picked a college course which most of my friends were on in a hope that I would like it . Well I finish college in May and I've now realized there's 0% of me making a career out of this, so I really don't know what I'm going to do. Even though I'm sure that after 18 years of bad luck I'm due a big lottery win soon. ( a man can dream ;) ) Has anyone been in the same situation? If so what did you do? Or does anyone have any advice for me? Any help would be appreciated.

If you can afford a year stopped, I'd take off a year and just do whatever you want,like volunteer or community work,whatever you want so you can see what you would like to do.My opinion.

As far as I know in college you take A levels which are some 3 subjects based on what you want to do in the future. If that's correct tell me which ones you took and what were you initially planing.

As far as I know in college you take A levels which are some 3 subjects based on what you want to do in the future. If that's correct tell me which ones you took and what were you initially planing.

No I could of done sixth form for my A levels but chose not to as I really didn't want to stay in school any longer, which was probably a mistake. I went on a plumbing course, and recently found out I have until the end of the month to get an apprenticeship which isn't going to happen.

No I could of done sixth form for my A levels but chose not to as I really didn't want to stay in school any longer, which was probably a mistake. I went on a plumbing course, and recently found out I have until the end of the month to get an apprenticeship which isn't going to happen.

But if you don't want to study why not try working. There are several jobs that do not require university degree. They provide you all the training you need.

Wish I have done the same when I was your age instead of going to uni :)

But if you don't want to study why not try working. There are several jobs that do not require university degree. They provide you all the training you need.

Wish I have done the same when I was your age instead of going to uni :)

Yeah but in a few years time you'll be doing something you enjoy with a good wage which will make it all worth it. By the looks of things I'm gonna be stacking shelves in Sainsbury's for the next 30 years doesn't sound very appealing tbh XD

Yeah but in a few years time you'll be doing something you enjoy with a good wage which will make it all worth it. By the looks of things I'm gonna be stacking shelves in Sainsbury's for the next 30 years doesn't sound very appealing tbh XD

Don't say that. Having a university degree will improve your odds of getting a little bit better job. As Bil Gates said, improving your odds does not guarantee success.

For instance if you are social person and good with people you can try yourself at sales. No degree required, training provided, and if you can do it you will be earning good money. I tried working for an insurance company, but I am not the best sales person :D

Person stacking shelves at Sainsbury's earns more than Sales Manager or Doctor over here :)

---------- Post added at 05:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 AM ----------

Any job's better than no job ;)

Totally agree.

lets see went to college got forensic science (Double award) told to go to uni to do genetics said no want a job went straight for police failed the interview never got near again got a security job and a level 3 criminology had 3 employers last one didnt pay my tax and NI left got a job as a assistant dog warden 6 months contract. Recently applied for an Advance Engineering Apprenticeship. What I have learnt is get a job that can give skill for life.

Most of my mates who havent gone to uni have joined the army or RAF in my home town the oil rigs are getting more popular. My advice would be some sort of apprenticeship or try a gamble and go for an Enterprise programme and start your own business

lets see went to college got forensic science (Double award) told to go to uni to do genetics said no want a job went straight for police failed the interview never got near again got a security job and a level 3 criminology had 3 employers last one didnt pay my tax and NI left got a job as a assistant dog warden 6 months contract. Recently applied for an Advance Engineering Apprenticeship. What I have learnt is get a job that can give skill for life.

Most of my mates who havent gone to uni have joined the army or RAF in my home town the oil rigs are getting more popular. My advice would be some sort of apprenticeship or try a gamble and go for an Enterprise programme and start your own business

It will be very big gamble. Better as you said learn some skills that will help in life, trying and working at various jobs.

University graduates face huge competitions when looking for job. I have some friends in the UK who still can't find a decent job with their LLM and MBA.

It will be very big gamble. Better as you said learn some skills that will help in life, trying and working at various jobs.

University graduates face huge competitions when looking for job. I have some friends in the UK who still can't find a decent job with their LLM and MBA.

Im unemployed at moment (throw all insults heard them all) and the best job I could get was folding sheets at a launderettes

Im unemployed at moment (throw all insults heard them all) and the best job I could get was folding sheets at a launderettes

I was unemployed for like 6 months when I got my degree and crisis started. Still think that it's better to find a job early instead of wasting time for university.

I was unemployed for like 6 months when I got my degree and crisis started. Still think that it's better to find a job early instead of wasting time for university.

Its funny my mates that have gone to uni think it was stupid and should have go straight into work and I think the opposite it why im looking at apprenticeships good why of getting good jobs I think

I don't think University is "wasting time."

I think the people who think they should be actively looking for experience so they have that edge as well as a university degree are the one's wasting time.

So is my only realistic option at the minute getting a regular 9-5 and just keep changing jobs until I find something that I like?

So is my only realistic option at the minute getting a regular 9-5 and just keep changing jobs until I find something that I like?

You could go on directgov see what jobs there are or theres apprenticeships, enterprise programmes or you have got the armed forces you build career there

Why not? You are young and in a couple of years if not earlier you will have an idea of what you want to do. Who knows maybe your first job will be interesting and you will be able to make a career in that area. For instance if you go to sales you can become sales manager if you work hard, or even start your own business after working for several years.

---------- Post added at 06:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 AM ----------

You could go on directgov see what jobs there are or theres apprenticeships, enterprise programmes or you have got the armed forces you build career there

If I am correct starting salary with armed forces is around 25,000 pounds.

If I am correct starting salary with armed forces is around 25,000 pounds.

£17,015 to start with then within five years you could reach the rank of Sergeant and earn up to £32,756. thats a Regular soldiers pay if it wasnt for my wrist I would do it