andalina1986

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new to the forum although I have been watching you for years.

I have a complain to make about the game... I DO accept criticism like I am a poor manager or I don't know what I'm doing ingame.

I have been playing this game since FM 06 so I know my way around really well. So,

here is a background of my manager in FM17

I have started Unemployed, and got employed at Worcester (Vanarama League North), the season target was to Avoid Relegation. The season ended with my team in the playoffs and qualified to Vanarama National. Contract ended, so being ambitious i searched for another team in a higher league. I got employed by Saturn (Russian First), newly promoted, season target Avoid Relegation..the Season ended by just avoiding relegation.. Second season started, same target, avoid relegation. My team now has played 15 games and its 2nd in the League, 1point away from the 1st team.

Anyway, my complain is, and it has ever been in Football Manager, that while winning by 2 or more goals I lose the game at the end of the match (8/10 times)..

playing in the Russian leagues now, I remember 2 games that did **** me off..

1st game) I was nearly bottom team playing against the 2nd placed team in the league, I was winning 3-0 at the 83th minute. and here is what happened:

84' - own goal - 3-1
87' - own goal - 3-2
91' - Red Card down to 10 players
92' - penalty kick goal - 3-3
it was 3 minutes of extra time but on the
94'!! - fluke shot from nowhere - goal 3-4 game ended I lost......

2nd game) ( which is the reason to come and complain)
I was was 2nd in the leauge playing against a 3rd division (non existed league) for a cup game.. playing away , winning 0-2 at at the 88th minute..

89' - own goal 1-2 ( i was like ok, it happens, I could still win)
91' - red card + penalty kick, down to 10 players - goal 2-2 (no previous yellow on the player, it was straight red)
92' - game ended. it was a cup game. overtime
97' - red card down to 9 players
107' - penalty kick - goal 3-2
115' - own goal 4-2 game over I lost.

similar games happened in the past in all manager games i've played..

am i poor manager? trying to play all kind of tactics in the last minutes... Defensive - waste time - possesion - motivating players - counter - even kept the standard settings because of winning at the time...

Last edited:
By the way, I also got scored on once and the referee called it no goal because of offside, but the goal still counted even though it was disallowed :D :D

Its pretty much impossible for someone to say "you are conceding because of THIS reason" because its likely not a single reason. You need to examine each situation and find a root cause. And its quite likely different causes at times. Similarly, we can't tell you "fix it by doing this", because the fix will depend on the cause, obviously, and also your tactical approach.

One thing I will note - you aren't managing at higher levels, so I don't imagine the quality of players is fantastic. That can have a significant impact. And we must be realistic - not every negative event is avoidable. Red cards happen. We are all going to give up penalties at times. I don't mean don't try to address, but realize you won't prevent every possible negative outcome.

When you are analyzing where these goals are coming from, some things to keep in mind....

-much like you can identify weak spots on the opposition (player or tactic), they can do the same. Whether its targeting a player with low bravery for hard tackling or low composure for heavy pressing, this can have an impact over the course of a match. Especially late. Sometimes it can be a technical weakness in a player that is exploited.

-physical condition can have an impact at times. Players get tired and make mistakes. But mental fragility is a big concern as well. Low composure or determination.... paying attention to body language of your squad is important - that information is given for a reason. A player who looks nervous becomes more susceptible to mistakes.

-tactical tweaks can sometimes backfire. If the opposition is pushing hard, going more defensive can simply invite more pressure. That's fine if you have the quality thru the side to hold up against that (parking the bus), but it takes a single mistake to come apart. And if your players are below level for the league, that becomes a bigger worry. It really helps if you have a good feel for your tactic and what specific tweaks and changes will do. Changing mentality can be a pretty drastic change. Changing fluidity can be bigger, but some sometimes be very effective.

Personally, I tend to make small tweaks later in a match, as well as tactical substitutions. These two often go hand in hand for me. I might tweak a role down a notch defensively - taking the winger from attack to support, for example. Bringing on a more defensive minded central mid, and adjusting the role and duty accordingly. Its not a fool proof approach, because nothing is.