Losing games because my tactic has become "predictable" - help please

liam9lfc

Reaction score
hi guys,

im having a problem in my FM save, ill give you some breif info into my game so you know whats up, if you don't need to know all that info then read from paragraph 3 please :) ...

Im liverpool in a network game with me and 3 of my mates, im currently 5th in the league but the table is so close that if i win my game in hand it would put me 3rd (1pt behind 2nd and 7 behind 1st). in the last 16 of the Europa league and have been knocked out of the league & FA cup (played my kids as i was prioritising the League heavily)

the tactic i use is a tikki takka style tactic, with the aim to pass the opposition to death with short passes, waiting for an opportunity for a decisive pass resulting in a CCC. I play with a slow tempo and press high up the field (the tactic is very Barca-esque). its a 4321 or 4231 depending on the strengh of the opposition. Oh and its also important to note: this is my only tactic. As in its the only tactic i have set up to train on, this is because its been so succesful and i cant see myself using any other tactic - i love it! i hope this is enough info, Anyway... Now to my problem

recently ( as i got into January/February) in the bulid-up to almost every game, i go to attend a press conference, and i get asked questions like (to paraphrase) "A lot of people have been talking about your tactics being predictable, will you be changing your apporoach in your next fixture?" or sometimes managers, when asked about my tactics "We know how liverpool set up and have prepared for this fixture" At first i didnt think much of it, then i played aginst Utd and every time my defenders got the ball ( i play out from the back) there was at least 4 Man U players swarming my defenders on the ball. I lost 4-3 and 3 of the 4 goals were conceded by the ball being nicked off my defenders. More teams started using this approach and I found my tactic was being exploited by other managers.

Since then i find it really difficult to win games, obviously because i only have one tactic and every team knows my style of play. I have tried messing around with the tactic by doing things like playing a quicker tempo, and using the "Get Ball Forward" shout, which sometimes works, but only sometimes.

Any advice what i can do? i would like to preferably keep my structure the same, and my style of play the same ( i play with Suarez as AMC Treq and Cavani ST Target Man Attack, with my two wide men as IF Attack)

i would hapily add a different formation as a 2nd tactic to use to mix it up but i would only really be interested in the same style of play etc, so would it not still be predictable having say a 424 with the same footballing style?

sorry for the essay and grammar errors, I've typed this off my phone...

thanks for help in advance :)

From my experience on FM13 i learned, that you MUST surprise opposition...playing with one tactic is suicide. The reason, why you cant be successful with one tactic, is pretty logical and obvious. ME getting use to your tactic and style, so exploiting your weaknesses.

I use sacchi tactic...original 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 with trequartista and 4-2-3-1 with 3 AMCs. This is just example, how to surprise opponent and is also fun, because engine can just guessing.

Be unpredictable and smart ;)

From my experience on FM13 i learned, that you MUST surprise opposition...playing with one tactic is suicide. The reason, why you cant be successful with one tactic, is pretty logical and obvious. ME getting use to your tactic and style, so exploiting your weaknesses.

I use sacchi tactic...original 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 with trequartista and 4-2-3-1 with 3 AMCs. This is just example, how to surprise opponent and is also fun, because engine can just guessing.

Be unpredictable and smart ;)

yeah thats what I was thinking, it seemed one of my friends in the network game was always changing tactics and winning games because of this. And was always being hailed as a "tactical genuis" in the media

could you post a link to this tactic please? And I'll have a look at it :)

Thanks!