Lothar Matthäus: The Matthäus Affect

01/01/2015

The Fantastic Future of Freiburg

It is now that time of the season once again, the winter break, and I will now try to make up for my lack of updates! Which I again apologise for, but University comes first before Football Manager (for once
:D).

Before going into detail about our league stature, results and so on (which I will do in my next update), I thought it would be cool to break down how things look for the future of the club.

When I came to Freiburg, our finances weren't the best, and my backroom staff were pretty much non-existant (as some of you may remember I had no assistant manager).

Finances

View attachment 323118

As you can see, we look set to make over £20m profit this season (this screenshot was from November), which due to our chairman's kindness I can see being invested back into the club, something he has done over the time I have been here.

View attachment 323119

We're also around £20k under our wage budget, which is the most I can do in order to stop the club from making a month-by-month loss.

Staff

I believe that a manager is only as good as his backroom staff, which is why I made it a priority after last season to hire the very best in the fields of coaching and scouting.
Our coaching staff and training regimes average out at about 4 stars, which although I plan to improve even more in the near future, is a great deal better than those that were in place when I first arrived.

View attachment 323121

Mohamed Sissoko, formerly of PSG, Liverpool and Juventus, has also joined our staff rankings after retiring from the game due to an ongoing injury. He is currently our Head of Youth Development, and although his stats aren't fantastic I feel that his experience within the game would be a cool addition to our setup.

Our scouting network has also improved dramatically, with us now having some of the worlds best scouts and a scouting knowledge rating of 'very broad'.

View attachment 323125

Facilities

Our youth and training facilities are current being upgraded and will be finished in weeks time, which will take them from the ranking of 'top' to the best ranking - 'state of the art'.

View attachment 323128

With state of the art training and youth facilities, our players will be able to reach their maximum potential, and we will also be able to produce some fantastic talents through our academy.

My main issue with our current facilities is our stadium, which either needs to be vastly expanded or to be replaced with a completely new arena. Currently, our stadium houses up to 24,000 fans, but only 14,000 of them are seated. I have noticed that during European games we can only reach our seated capacity which in turn really affects the amount of revenue we could be making from games.

Hopefully, after purchasing our stadium last season, I should be able to request some improvements later this season.

Overview

Overall I feel SC Freiburg is now a club with a bright future, as I look to take our academy to a whole new level and eventually mould our team around our own prospects, a la Ferguson in the 90's.

My main goal is improve our stadium which should then continue to improve our revenue, and being as we are in the black by quite some going, I feel our chairman should back me with these plans.

14/01/2015

Wilfried Bony set for Freiburg switch

View attachment 323199

The official SC Freiburg website has announced Ivory Coast sharpshooter Wilfried Bony will be joining the club in the Summer following stalled contract talks with his current team Vitesse. In the last 3 seasons, Bony has scored 44 goals in 63 games, which averages at an impressive 1.4 goals per game.

The recently turned 26-year-old joins a host of players who Freiburg manager Loth
ar Matthäus has signed on pre-contracts since his reign began in 2012, although many Freiburg fans believe that this is the bosses most impressive capture yet.

Rumours are also flying around social networks that a second signing from the Eredivisie could be imminent, with Heerenveen's Alfred Finnbogason seemingly lined up to bolster Freiburg's attacking force and potentially partner Bony up front in the Summer.

At this rate Freiburg chairman Fritz Keller will have trouble keeping hold of
Matthäus, as the producers of the English BBC TV show 'Bargain Hunt' will no doubt be looking to secure the boss as their new host.

Last edited:
Still following, extraordinary signing. Look forward to seeing how this season goes.

21/01/2015

Europa League Double?

View attachment 323274

So, here is the update of this seasons results and ongoings so far. We're coming up to February now and the winter break went well, with us winning our first two games since our time away against Nurnberg and Bochum both turning out to be 3-0 triumphs.

View attachment 323236

View attachment 323275

We sit 4th in the Bundesliga, although there isn't too much in it and we're only 9 points off Dortmund at the top. The pressure of the Champions League got to our young squad at times, and although we tried our best to fight through injuries and so on, we finished 3rd in our group behind Benfica and Manchester United meaning we are now in the knockout stages of the Europa League.

View attachment 323245

I felt that we were a better team than Benfica, but evidently it just wasn't meant to be this year. The Champions League pressure also took its tole on our league form, with a sloppy loss 4-0 loss to Dortmund
that clearly shows the difference in quality between us and the 'big boys' and could potentially cost us of a Champions League spot for next season.

In the first knockout round of the Europa League we'll face Red Bull Salzburg, a game which we should definitely be winning over 2 legs and I expect to see us go through to the next round without a shadow of a doubt.

We have also finally managed to get a decent cup run in the DFB-Pokal going, with a Quarter Final home-tie against Wolfsburg lined up for March.

Goal-wise you'll be happy to know that Exslager and Stracqualursi are scoring well, with 10 goals and 11 goals respectively. Kleber has also hit in 9, but is currently injured.

Signings

As stated in my previous post, we've managed to secure Wilfried Bony on a pre-contract. This is a fantastic achievement and a statement of intent for our future, with Bony being one of the hottest strike talents in Europe. There are also a few more signings, both on pre-contracts, which i'll break down below:

Wilfried Bony (ST / Free / Vitesse)

View attachment 323249

View attachment 323250

When it comes to strikers, Bony has it all: finishing; composure; work rate; technique; agility; pace and strength. He is fantastic athlete and is lethal in front of goal, and as soon as I saw that his contract was ending in the Summer I booked a flight straight to Amsterdam Schiphol. Dubski, who is still my assistant manager, did try to warn me off Bony and didn't include him in my latest bunch of scout reports - apparently there was no way he would be interested in joining us.

Clearly, Dubski does not understand what the '
Matthäus Affect' does to players.

Alfred Finnbogason (ST / Free / Heerenveen)

View attachment 323285

View attachment 323286

In real life, Finnbogason is the second top scorer in the Eredivisie behind Bony, and I can see him joining an English Premier League team in the Summer most definitely. In my game he has scored 42 goals in 68 appearances in the last 3 years, averaging at 1.61 per game (just higher than Bony), with 14 in 18 this season.

Finnbogason's low work rate is
definitely my biggest worry, but his finishing and all-round mental and physical game means that I'm willing to take my chances - especially on a free transfer. The Icelandic International could turn out to be a very good punt, but in the worst case scenario could be sold on, with his current estimated value to be around £5m.

My hope is that the combination of the highest scorers in Holland will leave Freiburg fans drooling and I expect our goal tally to be way up in comparison to the last few seasons with these new additions.

Marius Alexe (LW / Free / Genk)

View attachment 323270

View attachment 323271

In my game, Alexe left Dinamo Bucharest to join Genk at the beginning of the 2012/13 season. Now, following what will be his 3rd season at Genk, Marius Alexe will join the Freiburg revolution in the Summer of 2015.

The 24-year-old is a solid left winger, who is more prone to cut inside and fire at goal than he is to cross balls in. Following poor performances this season Alexe was dropped and asked to be transfer listed, deciding that he wouldn't be renewing his contract at Genk unless things changed.

Of course, I then swooped in for him and discussions lasted no longer than 5 minutes, with the Romanian international signing on the dotted line to join us in the Summer.

I think he will provide good cover for Daniel Caligiuri, our current left winger, who also likes to cut inside and shoot at goal in a similar way to Alexe. Hopefully he will prove to be another good signing.

Overview

A disappointing Champions League campaign will be forgiven by the fans at the end of the season, but only if we manage to secure a place in the premium European competition for next season.

I think we're doing okay and I believe we have now proven that we are one of the top sides in Germany. Maybe not this season, but our continuation of our growth means in the next couple of years I expect us to be challenging for our first Bundesliga title.

Over an out, time to get the rest of this season done and hopefully give the Europa League double a shot!

Last edited:
23/05/2015

Surely not?

View attachment 323561

Time to round up the season guys, and i'll carry on where I left off, with us entering the Europa League following our exit from the Champions League.

Up until the first leg against Salzburg in the first knockout round, we had won all 6 of our league games in 2015 and were 3rd in the Bundesliga.

Salzburg proved to be relatively easy competition, and minus a few scares we won 8-4 on aggregate over the 2 legs. This meant we were through to face Leverkusen, another team that I expected us to beat quite easily, which we did with an impressive 4-1 scoreline on aggregate.

In between our Europa League games we stretched our Bundesliga winning streak to an impressive 10 games, up until a boring 0-0 draw away against Frankfurt. We also managed to secure a place in the DFB-Pokal final to face Bayern, after beating Regensburg 4-1 in the semi-final. It was now April and we were unbeaten all year so far, and genuinely started to look like title contenders.... surely not?

View attachment 323481

We had reached the Europa League quarter final and were matched up with Marseille, a team who were contending for the Ligue 1 title themselves. Our boys turned on the style though, and a 4-0 win AWAY in France meant that we looked certain to head through to the semi-final, which we did with easy and were 6-1 up on aggregate.

Schalke, who I know dub to be our arch enemies, were drawn against us for the semi-final clash and to be honest they normally do pretty well against us and they're a team I fear. We managed to hold our own in the first leg at home though with a 2-0 win, which put us in a great position for the away game, which we lost 3-2 but meant a 4-3 win on aggregate for our boys and we were through to the final of the Europa League once again!

Before the final though, we had two league games left - against Bayern away and then Dortmund at home. With us sitting 4 points behind Bayern, the Bundesliga was an actual possibility, depending on how we performed in the two most important games of SC Freiburg's Bundesliga history.

Bundesliga: FC Bayern (Away)

First up, was Bayern, a team that could beat us at our place never mind their own. To have any chance at the title, we had to play our usual formation, and attack. We needed a goal. I have the utmost faith in our defence, but getting a goal against Bayern is extremely difficult with the team they now have in my game.

The first 20 minutes of the game were hard, with Bayern having numerous efforts on goal and Baumann having to match up to the likes of Ribery, Axel Witsel and Olivier Giroud. But in the 33rd minute of the game we took the lead, out of nowhere, Jonathan Schmid created himself an opening and put us 1-0 up. Having making it to half time with the lead, I had to change things around if we were to stop Bayern from succeeding.

I deployed the defensive pyramid that I used against Manchester United in the Europa League last season, and with Matthias Ginter on form as per usual, we rode out a hard fought victory that put us 2nd and just 1 point behind Bayern.

View attachment 323554

We were now 16 games unbeaten in the Bundesliga, with 15 of those games being wins. I honestly don't know how we went on such a run, but it was incredible. Dortmund at home was another game we had to win, but if we did and Bayern either lost or drew, we would unbelievably take our first Bundesliga title.

View attachment 323557

With our current form and team spirit, beating Dortmund wasn't the hard part, it was hoping a poor Kaiserslautern team would either defeat or earn a point against Bayern. Kaiserslautern had the home advantage, but either way Bayern we a way better team than them.

Bundesliga Last Game of the Season: Dortmund (Home)

After 3 minutes we were in front against Borussia, and were 2-0 up after 12 minutes. The first half came to a close and Bayern were still at 0-0 in their game which meant so far we were champions. We went 3-0 up in the 67th minute, which was followed up by a Borussia goal 5 minutes later. The clock ticked and ticked, still no goals in the Bayern game.

View attachment 323555

The whistle blew, the fans were on their phones trying to find out the latest scores and then it happened, a group of fans began to sing and some began to break out onto the pitch.

Dubski gave me the news, 0-0, at first I was confused - in shock as such. Then it sunk in, we did it.

View attachment 323562

SC Freiburg
Bundesliga Champions 2014/15

View attachment 323556

Genuinely one of my greatest Football Manager achievements to date, and it was down to the amazing unbeaten run and winning streak that our team went on. I have to say that our strikers really did their job this season.

Stracqualursi: 16 league goals
Exslager: 12 league goals
Kleber: 12 league goals

But our season wasn't over yet and the partys had to be postponed; we still had two cup finals to go for both the Europa League and the DFB-Pokal.

Europa League Final: Arsenal (Neutral)

First up was the Europa League final against Arsenal. The first half was dull, but we scored just before the break which put is in a good position to take the game to Arsenal in the second half, which we did.

View attachment 323558

Apart from a late consolation goal, we completely thrashed them and took the Europa League trophy once again. Our attack are in form and are up for any challenge against any opponent, and many people were certainly shocked by the sheer dominance in our play.

View attachment 323560

Our boys got the double, and also their second Europa League triumph in a row.

DFB-Pokal Final: FC Bayern (Neutral)

It was now time to potentially wrap up a treble. The DFB-Pokal final was of course against the powerhouse that is Bayern, and although we may not have better players than them, I believe our team is definitely up there if not better than theres - or any other team for that matter.

View attachment 323559

I guess we ran out of steam, and a 2-0 loss left a sour taste in the mouth of myself and our thousands of fans that turned out after such a fantastic season. Bayern are no doubt the best and biggest club in Germany, but I believe what we are building here is a great deal more special.

Our players showed tenacity and drive beyond any other team I have managed in the past. With a great deal of new finance pumped into the club, we can continue to expand and improve our structures and facilities, with the added ability to attract more talented players and staff.

Of course the pundits have put it down to my own managerial efforts, but without my back-room staff and the ambition of our players, tactics and substitutions don't count for anything.

SC Freiburg 2014/15:

A Bundesliga title, a second Europa League title, and one **** of a bright future.​

Last edited:
see told you no matter how much thay spent you would do it well done son roll on next season

Still really enjoying this, love how you keep it simple yet pack it with information!! I'm currently doing a story of my own and finally starting to grasp the fine art of updates! Loving your story tho! Keep it coming!