manutd7182

Reaction score

Louis Van Gaal is notorious figure in the football world for not being a man who is very forgiving, or flexible in his approach. Throughout his career, he has managed big clubs such as Bayern Munich and Ajax, he has implemented a 4-3-3 system rather strictly. I honestly believe that if it wasn’t for the lengthy injury of Kevin Strootman, his current Holland side would be mechanising with the 4-3-3. I feel that Van Gaal prefers to be very proactive in play, attempting to retain possession in the opponents half, whilst always looking to breach their back line.

So let's get straight to business....

View attachment 362425

GK - Sweeper Keeper - Defend [Pass It Shorter, Distribute to Defenders]

The standard keeper who is a reliable shot stopper with reliable ball distribution. The latter being the most important in van Gaal's system, given his preference for possession based football.

FB - Complete Wing Back - Attack [Run Wide With Ball, Fewer Risky Passes, Stay Wider, Close Down More]

I feel that van Gaal prefers his full backs to have attacking tendencies, going in to advanced positions and supporting the attack, sending in crosses and providing the width in the team.

CD - Central Defender - Defend/Cover [Pass It Shorter, Mark Tighter]

The standard central pairing of Defend and Cover. I feel the defensive pairing needs to be comfortable with the ball hence may require a passing stat of 11/12+. What I also advise is the defenders to have pace since the defensive line operates quite high thus pacey defenders may be necessary.

DM - Regista - Support [Pass It Shorter]

The shield of the back line. The role of the deepest midfielder of the 4-3-3. The person who is able to instigate attacks from deep with reliable passing and good positioning to snuff out opposition attacks. Forcing opposition to go to areas they do not want.

CM - Box To Box Midfielder - Support [Pass It Shorter, Fewer Risky Passes]
Advanced Playmaker - Support [More Direct Passes, Roam From Position]

Van Gaal's template for his two midfielders in front of the holding midfielder I feel is the Box to Box and the Playmaker. The Box to Box would contribute in all phases of play in defending, support and attacking. He would need boundless energy and stamina for this role. As for the playmaker he will obviously be the one who will make things tick for the team.

RW - Inside Forward - Attack [Pass It Shorter, Sit Narrower]

The Arjen Robben of the tactic if this was the Dutch national team. Van Gaal prefers his wingers to cut inside, join in the attack and chip in with a few goals as well as supporting the striker.

LW - Inside Forward - Support [Pass It Shorter, Get Further Forward, Sit Narrower]

Van Gaal has a love for technically adept players. I feel this position would be the guy who supports the striker with assists. I set both IFs to Sit Narrow in order to tuck inside and allowing the Wing Backs to provide the width. I gave the LW to Get Further Forward as I felt the Support role does not allow the player to get in the box as often, hence my decision.

CF - False 9 - Support [Roam From Position, More Direct Passes, Shoot Less Often]

The main threat in the team. The False 9 would come deep, dragging opposition defenders out of position and allowing the IFs to attack the space that the False 9 vacates as well as providing a goal threat. I gave it Shoot Less Often to limit the long distance shooting and possibly allow it to try to find the IFs.

So.. yeah, this is what I have come up with as a possible Louis van Gaal's philosophy of football. And here are some results. Like I've said, this is a testing phase and would like some ideas on what you guys think how Louis van Gaal would set his team.

View attachment 362420

Screenshots of match statistics:

View attachment 362418View attachment 362419View attachment 362416View attachment 362415View attachment 362417

So yeah.. so far it looks ok, but will provide further testing. I will possibly experiment more in order to make it more flexible if things aren't working for example. I am also intrigued in how van Gaal has decided to play 3 at the back with 2 wing backs; like he has been doing during the World Cup for Holland.

So yeah, thanks for reading guys and depending on the feedback and demand to test this tactic, I may post the tactic up. But once again, feedback and ideas are welcome!

View attachment 362411

Last edited:
Since I am gathering ideas from you guys and testing. Would make sense to upload it for others to try. But this is NOT the finished article. Just need to put this out there.

I see you are United.

Where are you playing everyone, especially Rooney and RVP?

Looking good so far with my liverpool save played 8 games won 7 drew 1. look 4ward 2 complete tactic and mayb the 3 at the back tactic

I see you are United.

Where are you playing everyone, especially Rooney and RVP?

Been trying to alternate between the strikers, but if I have to play them both, I'd shift Rooney on the left. He's surprisingly still quite effective. This is a standard line up for me with transfers since this is my 3rd season.

G: De Gea
DR: Rafael
DC: Smalling/Jones
DC: Alvarez Balanta
DL: Shaw
DM: Lucas Romero/Jones
MCR: Vidal
MCL: Gundogan
AMR: Januzaj/Kagawa
AML: Mata/Kagawa/Rooney
ST: RVP/Rooney

Looking good so far with my liverpool save played 8 games won 7 drew 1. look 4ward 2 complete tactic and mayb the 3 at the back tactic

That's great man! Any screenshots? Had any negatives so far with the tactic? Made any changes? And as for the 3 at the back. Haven't had much success so far. Only wanted to try 3 at the back since it's been the Netherland's tactic at the World Cup and there's been reports he's going to try that with United. So just going to play around with the 3 at the back tactic and see what I can come up with.

A few more games.....

View attachment 631809 View attachment 631812 View attachment 631813 View attachment 631815

Chelsea game 3-0 down at half time using this tactic, switched to another tactic I'm using but sadly still lost. But over all impressed with this and it plays some lovely football:)

Looking great mate! Again, hope this continues. Although I have already made some tweaks so far to the tactic. Will update soon.

Tactic works well for me. Make sure your players are intelligent and hardworking, that's key to this tactic in my opinion.