ILM16

Reaction score
What tactics are good for lower leagues?

I've taken the Bristol Roves job mid season, they are 23rd in League 2 and have a poor squad which I'm trying to correct via loans and free transfers.

However, what sort of tactic would help me?

I used a 4-3-3 tactic when I played with them and I finished first. Deep-lying playmaker (Aaron Hughes on loan from Cardiff), ball-winning midfielder and an advanced playmaker. I needed a good center-back so I loaned out Nathan Baker from Aston Villa and he proved to be an awesome loan. I used two target-men and a poacher. Look to take control and dictate the tempo of the game. That should use up all the potential they have as they are an awesome team. With the same team, tactic, a couple of good signings and a good consistent performances (maybe a lil' bit of luck too :p) you can immediately gain another promotion next season :)

Any chance you still have that tactic about?

I'm not entirely sure which one of these is it. I know that one of these included using an advanced forward instead one of the target-men, because I signed a player called David Foley, he was pretty much a coup for me, so I had to change my tactic for the second season. Try them out though, I'm not sure if you had the same players as I did though. Did you start with them when you started your game?

No I joined after the 1st season, thanks a lot :)

No prob, glad to help. I'll be waiting for results though :)

I'll see how it goes, currently finding it difficult to choose players suited to the roles. Takes ages to check each player for attributes and compare for each position!

Just looked up the B. Rovers squad, so I'll tell you who I played on my starting 11. (dunno how many of these players you still have though)

GK: Dean Bouzanis (got him on a free)
Defenders (left to right): Gary Sawyer, Nathan Baker (loan from Villa), Adam Virgo, Danny Woodards.
Midfielders: Aaron Wildig (deep-lying playmaker MCL, loan from Cardiff); Andy Hughes (Ball-winning midfielder MC, dunno where I got him from though); Wayne Brown (advanced playmaker MCR).
Strikers: Matt Harold (Target man, STCL) and Joe Anyinsah (Target man, STCR). I think I made them to swap positions during the game, makes it more difficult to man-mark them. And last but not least, Jo Kuffour (poacher, STC).

Thanks,

I won the league from 23rd position when I took over, by 1 point. So it worked really well. Made a few modifications on the tactics as I signed a good free striker in Roarie Deacon who seemed to suit a deep lying forward position.

Had a few of those players still (Sawyer, Woodards, Harold, Anyinsah & Brown). They did well except Harold who I got rid off. Brown won player of the year and I played him as either the deep lying playmaker or ball winning midfielder. The advanced playmaker role was changing frequently due to injuries and rotation but all players that covered the role had good games.

I've lost about 60% of my squad now (contract offers from other clubs & retirements!) and I'm trying to rebuild it again.

Last edited: