Lukeeggy

Reaction score
Looking for a basic tactic for conference and lower sides please.

In previous games I just kept it very basic...

Standard back 4

two wingers on attack

Ballwinning CM on defend and DLP on support

DLF and AF

4-3DM-3Wide working well for me. Fast wingers + Good goalkeeper and finisher is key to winning lower conferences

In the lower divisions your players will see a lot of games, and one tactic will see a few of them burning out. A 4-4-2 like the one mentioned above will do a job, but I'd also have a narrow 4-3-3 with two deep lying forwards supporting an advanced man, and a 4-3-3 with attacking wingers that can be rolled out when certain players are looking tired. Get as good a defensive central midfielder as you can. Richard Hughes is often available and though slow, he's an astonishing anchor man. Like mentioned above, good wingers are important, and you can get a solid keeper for peanuts. Don't try to have your central midfielders attack too much, your forwards and wingers can take the workload there, and of you get enough pressure on, at least one mid will be lurking ready to hit one from distance. Attacking or control mentality with flexible, fluid, or very fluid will make sure you keep possession enough to dominate most games. Get fluid in the basic framework of the tactic, and from there you can adjust roles all you need for when different players come in, as long as you don't just throw people forward. In-game team talks to have players concentrate or show more passion will do wonders as well.

Don't assume one tactic will be a silver bullet. It won't. You'll need a bit of flexibility for when injuries and the dog days of winter start taking their toll and you've got no wingers or forward that are good enough and healthy.

Oh, and be prepared to pull people back behind the ball and defend like your life depends on it. OI is important here, and closing everyone down and forcing wide players onto their weak foot will stifle their creativity. When doing this, look at the bravery of your opponents, and any players with less than 9 should be tackled hard.