Lower League Management: A Driffield Town Story

Yorkshirelad

Aka Carl Taylor
Reaction score
The Challenge Begins here……..

View attachment 353787

It was a year ago today I was side-lined and my football career ending as a opponent player leapt in and broke my Leg in 2 places, Now 29 years old I need a new plan. Suddenly I notice a red flashing light on my answer machines, I hit the play button and listen to the message….,
“Carl, Its Matty Pollet… I have a proposition for you… As chairman of Driffield EI football team, how would you like to take on the responsibility of managing the first team in the Humber League Division 1 for the new season?” Suddenly im overwhelmed with ideas and gain excitement at possibly managing my local team and working for the chairman who’s had me playing in the Driff EI squad for the past 9 years. Could this be my big break? Could this be the start of a flourishing new managerial career? Or am I just going to be a normal Saturday league manager right down in the lowest tier of English football?

What will the future Bring for Carl Taylor and Driffield EI……..

View attachment 353785
Clubs Details:

Club name: Driffield Evening Institute
Chairman: Matty Pollet
Stadium: Driffield Rec Ground
Year Founded: 1986
Rivals: Driffield Juniors
Est Value: 230k
Greatest Triumph: None to date

Season 13/14:
Media Predicitons: 5th
Board Expectations: Top half finish

More to follow.......

nice layout and a pleasant read.
Look forward to reading the updates.

Season 13/14 Begins
August 03 2013
649491d1406231869-lower-league-management-driffield-town-story-driffeilogo.jpg

Humber League Division 1

Driffield EI (2) v.s East Riding Rangers (2)
Scorers: Liam Malpas x2
M.O.M: Liam Malpas
Team: Draw to start the season, Pretty even game but im still trying to assemble a decent squad. Drastic changes happening daily.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Humber League Cup 1st​ Round

North Ferriby (0) v.s Driffield EI (3)
Scorers: Keegan x2 , Jackson
M.O.M: Keegan
Team:A very nice win and a good start to what I hope is a decent cup run, we need those funds.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Humber League Division 1

Malet Lambert Youth Club (2) v.s Driffield EI (1)
Scorers: Liam Malpas
M.O.M: Lumsden
Team: Lost to last minute goal, trying to tweet tactics as were letting too many shots get through.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Humber League Division 1

BrandsBurton (0) v.s Driffield EI (1)
M.O.M: Liam Malpas
Team: Malpas takes his tally to 4 in 4 games, Another nice win for us but took a 87th​ minute goal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Humber League Division 1

Hessel United (1) v.s Driffield EI (3)
M.O.M: Lee Thompson
Team: Urgh horrible loss to the league fav’s. Players still coming in and out of the squad to try and find the right depth.

A hard month as im still trying to get a good solid base of a team together. Malpas has had a good month scoring 5 out of 5 games but hes now left as hes been poached to a higher rep team… (Worst thing about LLM management) But were still in the cup and picked up a good couple of wins. Onwards and Upwards…..
View attachment 353400

Last edited:
Nice layout and looks promising, what database are you using?

Thx mate and its the tier 12 one I believe, ill try and find it.

Season 13/14 Begins
Sept/Oct 2013

View attachment 353370

Humber League Division 1

Warwne Utd (1) v.s Driffied EI (1)
Scorers: Healey
M.O.M: David Healey
Team: A own goal failed to get us 3 points but at the moment I deffo accept the point.

Humber League Division 1

Driffield EI (1) v.s Little Weighton (2)
Scorers: Crace
Team: Didn’t deserve to lose I guess all managers say that. Just sacked my Assistant Manager as hes just not doing his job properly, So job advert is up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Humber League Division 1

Pinefleet Wolverton (1) v.s Driffield EI (3)
Scorers: Jackson,Johnson,Tevendale
M.O.M: Johnson
Team: Nice win on the road, team performed well and a fantastic strike from 20+ yards was the pick of the crop.

Humber League Cup Rd 2

Crown United (3) v.s Driffield EI (1)
Scorers: Johnson
M.O.M: Stoody
Team: Meh……. Cup run over already but need to focus on league. New Assistant joined today so im hoping for better changes. Tweaked tactics again as possession is horrible.
Humber League Division 1

Driffield EI (4) v.s Driffield Juniors (0)
Scorers: Teevendale x2, Graham x2.
M.O.M: Graham
Team: A brilliant win over our rivals and a nice intro from our newest signing Ian Graham. More of that please lads………

Current League Table
View attachment 353367
Current Fixtures List
View attachment 353366

.::Managers Log::.
New Tactic, New Assistant,New Striker......... No more moment for now as need some solidarity in the team. Lower League Management really is a headache but im ****** enjoying it.

Season 13/14 Begins
Nov/Dec 2013
View attachment 353003

Humber League Division 1

North Ferriby (2) v.s Driffied EI (1)
M.O.M: Browne
Team: 2 offside decisions condemn us to a loss. Team morale is still high after a good team meeting.

Humber League Division 1

Driffield EI (1) v.s Hessle (0)
Team: Good solid win for us, on top in stats all game and a well deserved win….

Humber League Division 1

Long Riston (1) v.s Driffield EI (1)
Scorers: Graham
M.O.M: Crayke
Team: We led till the 88th​ minute then conceded a silly goal #Annoying….. New boy Graham going strong.

Humber League Division 1

Howden (0) v.s Driffield EI (2)
Scorers: Wood, Leak
M.O.M: Leak
Team: Going strong, team cohesion is good. Maybe mountain a good string of results?
Humber League Division 1

East Riding Rangers (1) v.s Driffield EI (3)
Scorers: Browne, Graham x2.
Team: A brace for Graham sends us up to 6th​ in league. A solid win against a very young East Riding Side.
Managers Blog:
A good 2 month of results, I’ve not made a transfer for a while and its showing, the team are gelling and there getting confident in the new tactics. Just need another good bunch of results to get us back in the running…

Nov/Dec League Table
View attachment 353004

Player Stats Up to Date
View attachment 353002

Season 13/14 Begins
Jan/Feb 2014

View attachment 352973

Humber League Division 1

Driffield EI (2) v.s Malet Town (1)
Scorers: Wood, Akzahzzan
M.O.M: Wood
Team: Azzahzzan proving why he should be number one choice for the wing…. A great win and well deserved.

Humber League Division 1

Hessle (0) v.s Driffield EI (4)
Scorers: Browne x 2, Graham x 2
Team: 2 Players with a brace and a great win for us….. onwards and upwards for EI......

Humber League Division 1

Driffield EI (4) v.s Brandsburton (3)
Scorers: Betts,Akzahzzam,Graham,Wood
M.O.M: Johnson
Team: Johnson with 3 assists and a last minute goal by wood secured us a win and broke into the top 3.

Humber League Division 1

Howden (0) v.s Driffield EI (2)
Scorers: Wood, Leak
Team: Going strong, team cohesion is good. Maybe mountain a good string of results?
Humber League Division 1
--------------------------------------------------------------
Driffield EI (5) v.s Wawne Utd (3)
Scorers: Ayers x 2, Harns,Azhazzan,Graham.
M.O.M: Ayers
Team: 8 Goal thriller but im thankful were on top for it………9 games without a loss and were going strong.

Managers Blog:
What can I say? The lads are performing well and were pulling the crowds, Record attendance (74 peeps) whey………. Break open the deckchairs……

View attachment 352972

Season 13/14 Begins
Mar/April 2014

View attachment 352970

Humber League Division 1

South Cave (1) v.s Driffield EI (2)
Scorers: Lumsden, Graham
Team: Teams performing great on the road, Possession football going well and were making chances count. Just broke into the top 2.

Humber League Division 1

Little Weighton (0) v.s Driffield EI (4)
Scorers: Wood, Graham x 3
Team: Graham just cant stop scoring, just hope he doesn’t get snatched up till end of season. Going strong.

Humber League Division 1

Driffield EI (1) v.s Pinefleet (2)
Scorers: Graham
M.O.M: Tweele
Team: Damaging defeat sees us drop to 3rd​, it’s a close battle and we cant seem to win at home. So ****** stressful……

Humber League Division 1

Driffield EI (2) v.s North Ferriby (3)
Scorers: Graham, Browne
Team: Another home loss but 1st​ and 2nd​ lose to which is a relief, its going to be a tight finish.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Humber League Division 1

Hessle (1) v.s Driffield EI (2)
Scorers: Dawson, Browne
Team: A win on the road sees us still in contension for promotion and the team remain in high spirits, Nothing I can do but ask my players to dig in and see the season through.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Managers Blog:
1st​ place at end of april? Am I dreaming? All the hard work is paying off and my players are giving there all. I have a good squad backed with a strong backroom of staff. Whats in hold for the last month? 3 games left can we hold it? So many questions to answer but all I can say is tune in…..

Current League Table:
View attachment 352969

Fixture List:
View attachment 352968

Season 13/14
May 2014

View attachment 352803

It comes down to this, 3 games left and im confident that if we continue our great run then we can hold onto top spot. Our home form is worrying but were brilliant on the road…….

Humber League Division 1

Driffield EI (1) v.s Rapid Solicitors (1)
Scorers: Dafter
Team: Still struggling at home and all I need is 3 points out of the last 2 games now to win title.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Humber League Division 1

Driffield EI (1) v.s Howden (3)
Scorers: Browne
M.O.M: Crace
Team: Not what we needed especially as Howden are sitting in 3rd​ place and now a point behind . Yet again a loss at home, we’ve conceded far to many goals this season and maybe that’s something to work on for the future. Our star striker Graham has also been injured. 1 game left and we need to WIN……..

Humber League Division 1

Long Riston (0) v.s Driffield EI (2)
Scorers: Dafter, Crace
M.O.M: Dafter
Team: WEVE DONE IT!!!!!! A win against struggling Riston has secured us a victory. Was a really good team performance and a justified win to go with the seasons performance. Well done Boys.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Managers Blog:
Well after headaches and heartaches, Pains and strains….. weve finally got the reward we wanted. The day has finished, the players are at home with the family celebrating and all our loyal fans can sleep well knowing that next season we will face the challenge of the Humber Premier League…. Me??? Well im sat at my desk with a notepad, lots of ideas and a very strong vodka and coke…. Bring on Season 14/15……

Final League Table:
View attachment 352802
Final League stats (Players)
View attachment 352801

"What does this mean for Driff EI now? Rurmours are rife about a possible new stadium? Youth facilities to be upgraded? and who is sticking round for next season? Tune in to find out"

End of season review and Future news to follow later.....

::::Thanks for following::::

End of season Stats

View attachment 352744

Top Goal scorers:
1st​: Ian Graham (16)

Joined the club midway through season with stats of 20 apps and 16 Goals…Already got intrest from other clubs.

2nd​: Dan Browne ( 6 )
The AM was quick off the mark and a demon on free kicks and penalty’s.

3rd​: Jason Wood (4)
Was a vital player on the wings for our team.

Most Man of Matches: Ian Graham

Highest Average Rating: Ian Graham

Fans Player of the year: Ian Graham

Competitions:
Humber League Division one: 1st​
Humber League Cup: 2nd​ round

::::Club News::::
· - Driffields Planned stadium move has been rejected by local council.
· - Clubs swoop for Driffields star players.
· - Taylor looking in market to mount a good 2014/15 season.
- Driffield EI granted a new Youth category rating..

End of 2013/2014 Season.......

Season 14/15 Begins
August 2014

View attachment 352376

For some reason ive ended up in Wearside Football league, but hey ho...... cant have friendlys with other clubs as all i get is "Its too far too travel" pfft....... players leaving and players coming, its been a busy pre season but im hoping we can finish in top 4 as media have put us joint favs to get promoted. So here we goooooooooo.........

Wearside Football League

Driffield EI (2) v.s Pinefleet (2)
Scorers: Johnson, Crace
Team: Top 2 fav’s meet in 1st​ game of season and it ends a draw, we were 2-0 up but just couldn’t hold the lead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wearside Football League

Meon united (3) v.s Driffield EI (3)
Scorers: Azhazzan x 2, Graham
M.O.M: Azhazzan
Team: Yet again we tried to hold onto a lead but 2 injurys and a red card kind of made sure we didn’t leave with 3 points.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FA Cup prem rnd 1

Driffield EI (4) v.s Black County Rangers (1)
Scorers: Browne x 2, Graham, Akhazzan
Team: Very nice win for us and just what we needed. Although more injurys and red cards mean squad selection is thin.

Wearside Football League

Driffield EI (2) v.s Liver Academy (1)
Scorers: Azhazzan, Browne
M.O.M: Ryder
Team: Our first league win and we struggled. Azhazzan has now left along with last years top scorer Graham. Just cant get any team cohesion at moment with so many changes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FA Cup prem rnd 2

Winsford (3) v.s Driffield EI (1)
Scorers: Ryder
M.O.M: Harris
Team: Out of the FA Cup, players fitness is a massive issue, 3 new players in and 2 more out. Kind of glad to be out of the cup to be honest.

Wearside Football League

Cleatormoore (3) v.s Driffield EI(3)
Scorers: Harris,Browne,Boosey
M.O.M: Boosey
Team: Another draw and yet again another game we could of won. Its frustrating but at least were getting some points. Few more players needed then hopefully get my squad to gel.

Wearside Football League

Driffield EI (2) v.s Uppermill (3)
Scorers: Soyce, Dyer
Team: Lost to a 92nd​ minute goal. Team played well and new boys showed some promise but fair from were we need to be.

August Table:
View attachment 352374

Managers Blog:
Tough start to the season picking up too many draws were we could of won, 7 players have left and new boys have come in. Also a new coach and scout to try get my some decent players. Oh its tough stepping up a tier but im up for it……

Last edited:
Season 14/15
Sept/Oct 2014

View attachment 351006

Wearside Football League

Driffield EI (0) v.s Alumini (0)
Scorers:
M.O.M: Huddel
Team: Bore draw…… Pretty even all game.

Wearside Football League

Stockton West End (2) v.s Driffield EI (2)
Scorers: Matt Roney x 2
M.O.M: Roney
Team: Youngester Roney grabbing a brave and we came from 2-0 down….
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wearside Football League

Driffield EI (0) v.s AFC Hereford (0)
Scorers:
M.O.M: Smith
Team: A game we should of won, were struggling for goals and don’t seem to have the extra mile to win a game. Needs to improve as the crowd and board get restless.

Wearside Football League

AFC Corinthians (2) v.s Driffield EI (4)
Scorers: Holloway, Boosey, Dyer, Roney
M.O.M: Boosey
Team: Great way to bounce back from a loss. A win on the road against high flying AFC.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wearside Football League

Driffield EI (2) v.s Beechfield United (2)
Scorers: Dyer, Huddel
Team: We had a man sent off in the 43rd​ min so a draw is a good result. We really do need to get back to back wins under out belt and mount a good campaign…..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wearside Football League

West Brigford (1) v.s Driffield EI (1)
Scorers: Haddrell
M.O.M: Wordsworth
Team: Another point and yet another game were we didn’t even look like getting the win. Very Annoying indeed. 2 players have parted ways with the club and 2 more brought in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wearside Football League

Unity (2) v.s Driffield EI (2)
Scorers: Haddrel, Dyer
Team: Very fustrating….. We led till the 83rd​ minute then conceeded 2 goals to draw the game…. Brought in a new assistant manager to try encourage the team more.

Managers Comments: Current lying in 10th​ postion and 7 points behind second place…. A good run of results could see us boost up the table. Got some good youth coming through the ranks.

(Totally forgot to take a screen shot after these 2 months :\ next update will show the lastest tables etc)