potta

Reaction score
By popular demand, I have decided to release my Cheltenham Town tactics. This has brought immediate success to my Club. These tactics have only been tested with lower league sides, for example, Cheltenham, Rotherham, Hereford, Wimbledon, Walsall and Hartlepool.

TACTICS http://www.mediafire.com/?xowjeb5c3000d

These tactics are quite basic and for them to be successful (hopefully for most of you) you must know when to use them. I am not going to bother with what individual attributes a players needs for this tactic because 1. Not many of you will read them and 2. Lower League Players am not going to have amazing attributes. What you do need or what I like from my players are High Team Work, Work Rate and Determination and Pace on the wings.

4-4-2/4-2-2-2 Home

View attachment 131103

This is a very attacking tactic which will stretch the opposition and leave gaps for your attacking centre mid and strikers to create chances for the team. The only downside is, it may leave you a little open at the back.

IMPORTANT - Must only be used at home games that you know you will have a good chance of winning. Or when you are trailing a game and need some attacking threat.

4-4-2/4-2-2-2 (Defensive Mids) Away

View attachment 131102

This tactic may look strange when you look at it, but believe me it has pulled of some great results when playing away. This tactics looks to counter the opposition and hit them on the break, pretty much like Aston Villa did when O’Neill was in charge. Your Defensive Midfielders play a big part in this tactic which is to close down the opposition at every chance. Your wide men will be the main threat in this tactic and must have pace to burn and decent crossing ability as they will tend to put the ball in the 6-yard area. I tend to play the big man, small man up front to add a bit of variety when those balls come flying in.

IMPORTANT – This tactic should be played in most away games, especially the ones where you think you going to lose, although it can be used at home to, if you’re up against a BIG team. Never change this tactic when you are leading a game and want to see it out, as my last tactic is the key to doing that.

4-5-1 Home & Away

View attachment 131101

This tactic is very controlled and balanced. It is intended to soak up pressure and to keep the ball moving. It is a much disciplined tactic too, where most of your players tend not to roam. Not much of a glamour tactic, but it gets the job done.

IMPORTANT – This tactic is key to shutting games out and can also be used to start a game. If you are unsure of the opposition team or they are on a great run of form, this tactic will help control the game. If you do end up trailing at half time. There are two options. 1. Change the tactic to the 4-2-2-2 home. 2. Maybe give them and halftime rollicking and give it 5-10minutes before changing.

Set Pieces
My philosophy on set pieces is simple, very direct and in the right areas:p

Team preparation

View attachment 131100

Pre Season – Team Blend and Workload – High
Start of the Season – Defensive and Workload – Medium
Dec/Jan (halfway point) – whichever is lacking, for example not scoring enough, set to attacking and vice versa.

Other Information
I only use OI against BIG TEAMS, for example any team that is 2 tiers higher etc.

I tend to do everything myself, such Press conferences, Praise/Criticise my players, team talks, pre-season games as this helps with player morale.

Once again this as only been used on lower League Teams. Also every game is different so don’t expect this to work for everybody. I only upload though you guys asking me, how have I got Cheltenham to the prem in 4 seasons.

Thanks and goodluck

Screenshots of my results

View attachment 131116View attachment 131120View attachment 131117

View attachment 131121View attachment 131104View attachment 131119

View attachment 131122View attachment 131115View attachment 131112

View attachment 131118View attachment 131113View attachment 131114

View attachment 131123

Last edited:
Will try this as soon as you upload the link ;) Also what are you using now you're in the Premiership?

link? cus this looks really good and should be useful for my chelmsford file in the champioinship

May download this as i've just started a game with Colchester.

Ready to download folks.

Feedback is welcome.....thanks and good luck

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Will try this as soon as you upload the link ;) Also what are you using now you're in the Premiership?

I have not started it yet....due to other commitments....I want to keep it the same, as I have built my foundations around the club....But If it does not work, I shall have to go back to the drawing board.