Lower League Team Managers ,I have an important question to ask...

• Thread starter Thread starter Ursulla
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 47
  • Views Views 13K
I see, I play with a large database, I haven't sold too many players. However, that isn't to say it was necessarily due to lack of interest. Since my current club is financially stable, I do everything I can to keep all my first-team or promising talent (raising the **** out of asking price, issuing hands off warning through the media).

To be perfectly honest I'm not sure how the database size will impact this, logically what you say makes sense, reduce the supply while keeping the demand steady, and price will increase. But if this holds, it's a double-edged sword, meaning players you want to buy will be more expensive as well.

In terms of competing for players it's been a pretty frustrating and inconsistent experience for me this season. Even players on free transfer who have multiple suitors, will sometimes pick a team over yours in a seemingly arbitrary fashion. I mean, sometimes they say you didn't give their agents enough money..really?

Either way, in lower leagues, buying players is a complete waste of money. Sign free transfers. In England, you can only sign players playing for other English clubs only 1 month prior to their contract expiry, so I'd look to Scotland or France for some talent as well. If you're really hurting for cash, I guess you could sell your players, and replace them with free transfers.

So,thanks for all your help....I think other new lower league managers would find this thread helpful...It sure helped me clearing few issues...I didn't like the idea of starting,making a mistake than start again...I needed help as I know the hardest part would be maintaining a stable budget...Now the dull staff members is behind me...and the tactic fun part begins....Thanks again for taking the time to help me and others with your answeres regarding managing lower league teams...Good luck and have fun
slitty.gif

Last edited:
Yeah started as unemployed with a few coaching badges and the standard of football I played up to. Got hired by Bristol rovers brought them up front the conference through the play offs. After they were hanging around 19th. Now onto league 2. Not sure if I can make promotion.

One thing I tried to do is sign my players early on so there is less competition for them of course that leads to you finding better players after you signed yours but there isn't a guarantee you'll sign the free player everyone is after. Haven't done much to my staff or tactics to be honest may have to work on that now that I'm in a rut. Lost 3 on the trot but still comtarbly in mid table of league 2.

Yeah started as unemployed with a few coaching badges and the standard of football I played up to. Got hired by Bristol rovers brought them up front the conference through the play offs. After they were hanging around 19th. Now onto league 2. Not sure if I can make promotion.

One thing I tried to do is sign my players early on so there is less competition for them of course that leads to you finding better players after you signed yours but there isn't a guarantee you'll sign the free player everyone is after. Haven't done much to my staff or tactics to be honest may have to work on that now that I'm in a rut. Lost 3 on the trot but still comtarbly in mid table of league 2.
What do you make of the Conference Teams A.I...Did you have fun,Was it a challenge...What were the main things you have changed to take them from 19 place to promotion? How was your finance balance before promoting an after? Keep updating yoor progress....

What do you make of the Conference Teams A.I...Did you have fun,Was it a challenge...What were the main things you have changed to take them from 19 place to promotion? How was your finance balance before promoting an after? Keep updating yoor progress....

It was definitely a challenge, used to playing with united my favourite team. Bringing up a team of regens and slowly dominate world football. I got a good save on fm13 where i played as united and as a challenge started another manager who went from League 1 to Champions to La Liga to Ligue 1 whilst playing both.

Main things i had to change
  • Formation - make the use out of your best players, either with wingers or wingbacks or 3 strikers play with your best players.
  • Loan system is important - look at championship and some lower prem teams to sign players on loan. They normally allow you to loan them without wages
  • Free transfers - don't think you should be buying players until maybe league one. Even then you could probably get better players on frees.
  • Finance - Use your U21 squad to play pointless friendlies to bring in cash. I hardly ever use any of my first team players in the u21s so i wouldn't mind if they got injured or tired. More games = more revenue
  • Contract - Don't sign long term contracts with players as you're always going to be able to find a better player for free at probably a cheaper wage
Right now i'm in 14th place with 17 games gone. So near a third of the way gone. 3 points off promotion places. The table is quite tight but I was predicted to be fighting regulation. I think if i change up my tactics i might be able to push for promotions but will be happy with a top half finish tbh.

Main thing i did was take a **** ton of players who were let go on trial to see if they improved my squad. Since our scouts tend to be quite poor didn't really trust their reports. Rather have them on trial where i can see how good they are compared to my squad. Sign 20 players 19 for free 1 was for like 12k. Had to let got of 22, some of which i stupidly agreed to give contract extensions at the back of the previous season. So that was my mistake

When you look for scouts, even if they are rubbish if they are foreign sign them. I put language spoken ... is not english on. That helps loads. Even if there scout stats are rubbish get them in. Then you can judge the players yourself. Also get a director of football in and get him to look for younger players just make sure you have the final say.

Also other tips searching players put nationality english based not in england you find some gems aka Gary Martin is a monster. Also take off the filter for intrested players but instead use wage and value and set what you can afford ... like 2k p/w value 250k. Then often if you can offer more wages than they are currently on you have a chance of getting in a much better player, even if he is not interested. Sometimes works sometimes dont but its worth a go.

Looking at players whose contract comes up within 1yr also works well as you can get them a lot cheaper. I got Hereford from Southern League to League 2 then took over Oxford and went from League 2 to Championship. And all of the above helped me loads.

Set your personal assistant to offer you free transfers only, then offer them a trial if they come up. Your get some really good frees from october onwards as players get desperate for clubs and they will likely go anywhere. By offering them a trial your be able to sign them on cheaper wages. Same thing applys for June 30/ July 1t when players are released, add a lot to your shortlist and then offer them trials as soon as they are released as they will go on trial to you and you can ofer them contracts on the cheap.

It was definitely a challenge, used to playing with united my favourite team. Bringing up a team of regens and slowly dominate world football. I got a good save on fm13 where i played as united and as a challenge started another manager who went from League 1 to Champions to La Liga to Ligue 1 whilst playing both.

Main things i had to change
  • Formation - make the use out of your best players, either with wingers or wingbacks or 3 strikers play with your best players.
  • Loan system is important - look at championship and some lower prem teams to sign players on loan. They normally allow you to loan them without wages
  • Free transfers - don't think you should be buying players until maybe league one. Even then you could probably get better players on frees.
  • Finance - Use your U21 squad to play pointless friendlies to bring in cash. I hardly ever use any of my first team players in the u21s so i wouldn't mind if they got injured or tired. More games = more revenue
  • Contract - Don't sign long term contracts with players as you're always going to be able to find a better player for free at probably a cheaper wage
Right now i'm in 14th place with 17 games gone. So near a third of the way gone. 3 points off promotion places. The table is quite tight but I was predicted to be fighting regulation. I think if i change up my tactics i might be able to push for promotions but will be happy with a top half finish tbh.

Main thing i did was take a **** ton of players who were let go on trial to see if they improved my squad. Since our scouts tend to be quite poor didn't really trust their reports. Rather have them on trial where i can see how good they are compared to my squad. Sign 20 players 19 for free 1 was for like 12k. Had to let got of 22, some of which i stupidly agreed to give contract extensions at the back of the previous season. So that was my mistake

Thanks for your feedback,I find it quite useful...

If trials is the way to "cheat" the new scouting system,would you recommend not to hire any scouts to save their wages and instead just using the trials workaround? And if you think scouts are still useful for lower league manager explain what they can be used for? And what JPA & JPP attributes would be considered by you to be reliable?

What kind of tactic change you consider in order for your club to push upward the table?

If you played with United developing regens you must have valuable experience regarding youth...Would you recommend to use HoYD for a lower league manager? Explain why you recommend for yes or not...

Would you reccomend to use other Under 18 staff and if yes which one and why?

Is there any way to make money of signing free transfers and than sell them just for helping the finanace? My board is always urge me to sell players...

Do you use Large/Medium/Small pool of players database?Do you find the one you are using satisfying ?

If I approach a free transfer player and he dismiss me right from the beginning(Red reply),is there any way to change his mind during converstations with him or is it just a waste of time to try to be reason with him?

How much did you manage by percentage of your negative balance to make by arranging friendlies for Under 21? Have you managed to have a postive balance after the promotion? Did your board injected funds?

When you look for scouts, even if they are rubbish if they are foreign sign them. I put language spoken ... is not english on. That helps loads. Even if there scout stats are rubbish get them in. Then you can judge the players yourself. Also get a director of football in and get him to look for younger players just make sure you have the final say.

Also other tips searching players put nationality english based not in england you find some gems aka Gary Martin is a monster. Also take off the filter for intrested players but instead use wage and value and set what you can afford ... like 2k p/w value 250k. Then often if you can offer more wages than they are currently on you have a chance of getting in a much better player, even if he is not interested. Sometimes works sometimes dont but its worth a go.

Looking at players whose contract comes up within 1yr also works well as you can get them a lot cheaper. I got Hereford from Southern League to League 2 then took over Oxford and went from League 2 to Championship. And all of the above helped me loads.

Set your personal assistant to offer you free transfers only, then offer them a trial if they come up. Your get some really good frees from october onwards as players get desperate for clubs and they will likely go anywhere. By offering them a trial your be able to sign them on cheaper wages. Same thing applys for June 30/ July 1t when players are released, add a lot to your shortlist and then offer them trials as soon as they are released as they will go on trial to you and you can ofer them contracts on the cheap.

Very clever tricks...Why do you need a Director to search for youngsters,Isn't HoYD(Head of Youth Dvelopment) could do that?That is his major job after all...Why Director is better than HoYD? I'm trying to save staff wages and the first staff member I think I could do without is a Director and then you come and recommend to sign one...

If I hire foreigh scout wouldn't the players he reccomend would need work permits which make them useless?

If you try to sign a player with better salaries than he has you still have to buy him...I think it is better used for those reaching to the end of their contract and then when they are close to out of contract status,declare interest in them to unsettle them,and then offer new and better contract...When exactly a player is out of contract?

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback,I find it quite useful...

If trials is the way to "cheat" the new scouting system,would you recommend not to hire any scouts to save their wages and instead just using the trials workaround? And if you think scouts are still useful for lower league manager explain what they can be used for? And what JPA & JPP attributes would be considered by you to be reliable?

I would just keep the scouts you have in your club. JPA is the most important attribute you look at right now. Potential isn't as important until you get into the bigger leagues.

What kind of tactic change you consider in order for your club to push upward the table?

Depends on the players you have. Maybe you need to play 4-2-3-1 If you have a strong midfield, 4-3-3 if you have good forwards. Really down to your players.

If you played with United developing regens you must have valuable experience regarding youth...Would you recommend to use HoYD for a lower league manager? Explain why you recommend for yes or not...

I would leave buying young regens until your club is more establish.

Would you reccomend to use other Under 18 staff and if yes which one and why?

I don't find the U18 staff quite useful. Until the club gets bigger and you can afford to have more staff on board

Is there any way to make money of signing free transfers and than sell them just for helping the finanace? My board is always urge me to sell players...

That is a good way but the only problem is you have to be playing those players and they have to be playing well if you want other teams to sign them. I would just recommend selling or releasing the players you don't find useful and try to get promoted as soon as possible. Also another way of making money is through the cup, the further you get into the tournament, the more money you'll make.

Do you use Large/Medium/Small pool of players database?Do you find the one you are using satisfying ?

Medium, I find it alright

If I approach a free transfer player and he dismiss me right from the beginning(Red reply),is there any way to change his mind during converstations with him or is it just a waste of time to try to be reason with him?

Waste of time, he probably thinks he's too big for your club, you don't really want those sort of players as he'll upset your squad harmony as he'll probably want a big wage

How much did you manage by percentage of your negative balance to make by arranging friendlies for Under 21? Have you managed to have a postive balance after the promotion? Did your board injected funds?

My board didn't inject any funds. I dont know the exact amount i made but since being in the conference means no u21 league or at least my team didn't go through one, I just arranged a game every week and usually made about 4k per game? Just from gate receipts. It adds up throughout a season.

The staff wages are not a big thing, you can get him pretty cheap, I had a guy called Patrick Anderson who was Swedish for around 200 p/w. Its very usefull to have one as he can suggest transfer targets weather they be loans/free's/transfers in the transfer centre. Its a big help.

The foreign scouts gives you more players in your player search as you get the knowledge of the areas he covers thus a bigger pool to search from. This is particular usefull on a budget as you an find some great cheap players and also better regens as your covering a bigger area.

And taking the player being interested off also helps in that regard if your struggling. If a guy is on 600 p/w in Iceland or France he might not come up in your searches. But if you take off the interested/realistic filter you then get those players appear. And if you can offer 2k p/w he will leave his 600 p/w job for 2k, as long as you can offer a contract that is your foot in the door and will enable you to sign better players than you might be able too. Just set realistic wage and value filters in your searches so you can stay on budget, depending what is the maximum money p/w you can offer :) Of course if you get promoted you will get more money so sometimes the risk is worth the reward.

The staff wages are not a big thing, you can get him pretty cheap, I had a guy called Patrick Anderson who was Swedish for around 200 p/w. Its very usefull to have one as he can suggest transfer targets weather they be loans/free's/transfers in the transfer centre. Its a big help.

The foreign scouts gives you more players in your player search as you get the knowledge of the areas he covers thus a bigger pool to search from. This is particular usefull on a budget as you an find some great cheap players and also better regens as your covering a bigger area.

And taking the player being interested off also helps in that regard if your struggling. If a guy is on 600 p/w in Iceland or France he might not come up in your searches. But if you take off the interested/realistic filter you then get those players appear. And if you can offer 2k p/w he will leave his 600 p/w job for 2k, as long as you can offer a contract that is your foot in the door and will enable you to sign better players than you might be able too. Just set realistic wage and value filters in your searches so you can stay on budget, depending what is the maximum money p/w you can offer :) Of course if you get promoted you will get more money so sometimes the risk is worth the reward.

Just to be sure...If I'm getting players out of England since I have scouts who have the knowlege of that country I still need a work permit for them right?
So what help is it to have such scouts if I can't play those players?

What are the responsibilities you assign to your director that makes him a useful Member?
I read a lot that he is usless and you are the first one I have seen that has actually think he is useful...

Gonna add a few things here.

Like I and Seabarer mentioned, don't waste money on transfers. Sign on free, reassign transfer budget to wages. I bought exactly one player in League 1, and one in the Champ (regretting it). And I've been able to have good success with the free transfers, playoffs after half a season and league title/promotion the next season in L1 (media and board expectation was bottom half) and sitting 8th in Championship (board & media expectation is relegation).

Also wanna second what Seafarer said about not doing long-term contracts. They benefit players, but not you. It gives them security but gives you next to nothing. If they're playing well they'll demand a better contract. If they want a bigger challenge, they'll demand a transfer. In every major sport, teams are expected to uphold contracts to a T, whereas players can **** on them all they want by throwing a hissy fit. (sorry for the rant). One benefit of securing a long contract though, is that you can prevent the player walking free when he becomes happy, allowing you to at least cash in when you sell.

For tactics, I found going with a structured mentality (and "more disciplined" instruction) can provide much needed stability in lower leagues. Although this was before the patch, and the patch supposedly reduced goals in lower leagues so who knows.

With regards to the foreign scouts, you can find good players who can get work permits (do a scouting report on the player, and the report will say whether he's likely to be approved or not), although below Championship it'd be very rare. But I mean, hire foreign EU scouts...EU nationals don't need work permits and that's a huge pool of players you'd otherwise miss out on.

Gonna add a few things here.

Like I and Seabarer mentioned, don't waste money on transfers. Sign on free, reassign transfer budget to wages. I bought exactly one player in League 1, and one in the Champ (regretting it). And I've been able to have good success with the free transfers, playoffs after half a season and league title/promotion the next season in L1 (media and board expectation was bottom half) and sitting 8th in Championship (board & media expectation is relegation).

Also wanna second what Seafarer said about not doing long-term contracts. They benefit players, but not you. It gives them security but gives you next to nothing. If they're playing well they'll demand a better contract. If they want a bigger challenge, they'll demand a transfer. In every major sport, teams are expected to uphold contracts to a T, whereas players can **** on them all they want by throwing a hissy fit. (sorry for the rant). One benefit of securing a long contract though, is that you can prevent the player walking free when he becomes happy, allowing you to at least cash in when you sell.

For tactics, I found going with a structured mentality (and "more disciplined" instruction) can provide much needed stability in lower leagues. Although this was before the patch, and the patch supposedly reduced goals in lower leagues so who knows.

With regards to the foreign scouts, you can find good players who can get work permits (do a scouting report on the player, and the report will say whether he's likely to be approved or not), although below Championship it'd be very rare. But I mean, hire foreign EU scouts...EU nationals don't need work permits and that's a huge pool of players you'd otherwise miss out on.

Welcome back,Thanks for giving your opinion,all you say is making sense to me...As long as nobody else says otherwise I gather it's the right thing to do...

Catching players out of contract is really useful advice from Thepav and a director could help there...

What's your take of hiring a Director ? Lay it on me once and for all...Is a director can help in any way?
Have you ever tried one?

Check on my other thread on "Hold Position" ,see if you can be any help there...

Last edited:
I don't use a DoF, but as far as I'm concerned this entirely comes down to personal preference. Unlike coaches, he doesn't do anything you can't do, his only purpose is to automate some of your responsibilities. Thepav mentioned he can find players, but unlike other staff types, a DoF can be assigned essentially any of your tasks. I do have a HoYD and I delegate finding young players to him, but for finding senior team players, I just do that manually.

The way I do this as I have done this a lot, is to spec the following:

Head of Youth Development: Working with youngsters, judging ability/potential, man management, motivating, determination to around 10 - then raise working with youngsters and player potential by 3. At this point you then raise all atts. by 1 each time til you only have a couple of people left, and blow your budget on them - this guy is important!

u18 Head Coach and assistant coach - Judging ability, tactical knowledge, man management, motivation all around the same mark, and 1 coaching ability fairly high, IE. Defence coaching on head coach, attack coaching on assistant.

Last spot: Preferably a coach who covers at least 2 weak roles in your coaching. I often cop out and choose a fitness coach, and then cover the other spots with my own coaching and my assistant's coaching ability. But look at where you are weakest and fill that gap with this spot.

Staff are probably the most important part of nurturing youth (possibly alongside training schedules) in my experience - don't be afraid to use your budget.

Bit of an update, after being 4 positions above relegations. I brought Bristol Rovers to 3rd the last automatic promotion spot on the last day! We went on a 10 game winning streak between the months of Feb-March that saw us rise up the table!

Just about to start league one. Don't think I could do another promotion in my first season, just hoping to stay up and let my players progress. A disadvantage of all this is that i had to let some of the most promising players go or out on loan because they won't cut it in league one. So hoping for a steady team this season, and maybe need two seasons before pushing for the Championship. We'll see how it goes! :D

The way I do this as I have done this a lot, is to spec the following:

Head of Youth Development: Working with youngsters, judging ability/potential, man management, motivating, determination to around 10 - then raise working with youngsters and player potential by 3. At this point you then raise all atts. by 1 each time til you only have a couple of people left, and blow your budget on them - this guy is important!

u18 Head Coach and assistant coach - Judging ability, tactical knowledge, man management, motivation all around the same mark, and 1 coaching ability fairly high, IE. Defence coaching on head coach, attack coaching on assistant.

Last spot: Preferably a coach who covers at least 2 weak roles in your coaching. I often cop out and choose a fitness coach, and then cover the other spots with my own coaching and my assistant's coaching ability. But look at where you are weakest and fill that gap with this spot.

Staff are probably the most important part of nurturing youth (possibly alongside training schedules) in my experience - don't be afraid to use your budget.

There are three different schools of using staff members for the under 18 squad...The first one is going the hard way which you are belong to...The second way is the practical way of not wasting any resources unless they proved to be beneficial...The third one which I belong to is "If you find a quality player or a staff member,sign or hire him..."

Bit of an update, after being 4 positions above relegations. I brought Bristol Rovers to 3rd the last automatic promotion spot on the last day! We went on a 10 game winning streak between the months of Feb-March that saw us rise up the table!

Just about to start league one. Don't think I could do another promotion in my first season, just hoping to stay up and let my players progress. A disadvantage of all this is that i had to let some of the most promising players go or out on loan because they won't cut it in league one. So hoping for a steady team this season, and maybe need two seasons before pushing for the Championship. We'll see how it goes! :D
Well done,If you have any new additonal hints and tips regarding League two I would be most glad to hear about it...By the way I decided not to use the cheating trials for players...I would like to use the new realistic scouting system,meaning taking risks of signing players which is exactly like real life...
angel.gif
angel.gif
angel.gif

Well done,If you have any new additonal hints and tips regarding League two I would be most glad to hear about it...By the way I decided not to use the cheating trials for players...I would like to use the new realistic scouting system,meaning taking risks of signing players which is exactly like real life...
angel.gif
angel.gif
angel.gif

Clubs take players on trials all the time in real life mate. Obviously not to the extreme I did it but still. :p

Another tip I forgot, find a good affiliate club. I had Derby for league 2 and managed to grab some great players on loans without paying their wages. Now that I'm in league one. I have manchester United as a parent club so going to try get a few of their played on loan. Already signed a couple of ex united players who were let go :)

Look at the released players from prem clubs if they're young enough they might be good enough for your league and willing to join as well.

How's your progress mate? What team did you end up with?

Clubs take players on trials all the time in real life mate. Obviously not to the extreme I did it but still. :p

Another tip I forgot, find a good affiliate club. I had Derby for league 2 and managed to grab some great players on loans without paying their wages. Now that I'm in league one. I have manchester United as a parent club so going to try get a few of their played on loan. Already signed a couple of ex united players who were let go :)

Look at the released players from prem clubs if they're young enough they might be good enough for your league and willing to join as well.

How's your progress mate? What team did you end up with?

Things are looking promising for you...
cool.gif
I have little free time I'm afraid and I wait for all the patches to be applied until February before I even consider to start playing...In the meantime I get all the information I need from those who are playing...I need people like you to get motivated and usually I am playing keeping it as real as possible otherwise it would be just a waste of my time...I usually take an underdog team that just promoted from 7th tier to 6th tier...This year I picked St. Albans...I play only one save for each version of Football Manager and see how it goes...If I feel challenged I would play it until The Next version come up...I am obviously far from being addicted to it...I am really suprised that so many people reports to have success with lower league teams but you said it is challenging you so I'm optimisitic about my chances to start playing in the near future...

Back