ianiffy

Reaction score
whenever i be a small team like Torquay i start with 2 wins 2 defeats and then i win lose win lose and then i lose about 3 in a row and get the odd draw i have tried loads of different tactics the same thing keeps happening every time i try a Torquay save its driving me mad

I've got a very good game on the go at the moment in the Vanarama South with Weston Super Mare.

In my first season our form was very inconsistent, a lot like you're describing, and we finished 10th in the league which was way above our expectations. Our form in the second season has been much better and we're currently 2nd after 21 games. I would put up a screenshot of my formation but I'm not at home at the moment, so let me describe it...

Formation 4-4-2

GK

RB - Limited Defender
CB - Limited Defender
CB - Limited Defender
LB - Limited Defender

RM - Winger/Support
CM - Centre Midfielder - Automatic
CM - Centre Midfielder - Defend
LM - Winger/Support

ST - Defensive Forward/Support
ST - Poacher

As you're playing in the lower leagues, try to keep it as simple as possible. I like my centre midfielders to have good passing and tackling stats, and my wingers to have good pace, dribbling and crossing stats, and my strikers to have good pace and finishing stats. It all sounds pretty obvious but if you can find the right players to fit this system, it really does work. Our form is a lot more consistent and we're keeping a lot more clean sheets than last season. Because of the midfielders good passing stats, I do put on the 'retain possession' instruction and we're dominating a lot of games.

Sometimes I will tweak it a little bit depending on the opposition. I may set one or both of the wingers to 'attack' if we're playing weaker opposition, or I'll ask the players to get stuck in against better opposition. Little things like that can make a massive difference.

Lastly, choose a formation or a system you want to play and stick with it. Chopping and changing your formation/instruction every game will only confuse your players. Remember, they are lower league players and can't adapt to new tactics like your Barcelonas and Real Madrids can.

Sorry about the essay, but I hope this helps you get Torquay up the league table!

I've found the first season to always be the hardest to get consistent results personally I put it down to the players adapting to my tactics. Even top sides need to learn how to play new tactics but they tend to learn quicker than lower league teams. As Judgie says keep it simple there is no way the Torquays of this world are going to be able to play elaborate procession football. The basic formations are perfect to start with. Once your squad understands a tactic you should start to see a more consistent team (hopefully one that is winning of course). Don't give up as it does get better.

Just a quick update as to how I'm getting on using these basic formations/tactics...

Second season in the Vanarama South I finished 3rd. I lost on penalties in the playoff final against Welling, which was sickening, but considering we were amongst the favourites to be relegated the season before, I was still pretty upbeat about the season overall. Again, after the second season, we signed on our important players for another year, made a few additions, and found ourselves in 4th place just before Christmas. I was getting a number of offers from League 1 and League 2 clubs, most of which didn't interest me as I wanted to try to get Weston promoted at the 3rd time of asking...

Then Newport County came knocking. They were 16th in League 2, 4 points off of the playoffs, a wage budget of 25k a week, and had offered to double my wages to £800 a week. After some careful consideration I took the job and won 4 of my first 6 games, drawing the other 2.

Although I'm up in League 2 now, I'm still using a 4-4-2 with hardly any instructions, and it seems to be working a treat. Sometimes I dabble with a 4-5-1 but my hand has been forced slightly due to injuries and suspensions. If I make it into the Championship or even Premier League, then I'll try some more adventurous methods, but for now the simple approach is working and landed me a job in the football league.

Like Woolly said, stick at it, the first season is the most difficult but from there it seems to be all uphill.